Indoor cooking with woodgas?

Jakob we know you’re a busy busy guy. Don’t sweat it.

7 Likes

it is from the small books series"einfälle statt abfälle" - translated inventions instead of waste.(builts by scrap)…exist also in spain and english this number…tips for self sufficient people…

sorry by some computer error is 2 times the same post…
jacob…make with calm, no hurry…

3 Likes

tone, the simplest is the automatically turn back in morning position…the sheet what divides the two little panels for the motor is from shining crome metall like a mirror, and is bended on the upper part in a way, when the panel stops in evening position, that in the morning the first sun waves fall on the bended part, from there the first sun waves goes on one of the little panels, the motor begins to work and bring the whole apparatus back in morning position…
the moving space of the whole apparatus is limited to a half circle by posts. the position of the posts depends from morning sun…without posts or wrong positioned posts it turns to wide in evening position, and the morning sun not arrives correctly on the bended metal mirror piece…

6 Likes

Hi Giorgio, I really like such solutions, but years ago I had the intention of building a similar system, only for heating water, and tracking the sun would be done by the “mechanism” of the clock, since the small hand of the clock moves with the speed of the sun,…divided by 2

7 Likes

Which works. In the states, we just install a second solar thermal panel since most are made from construction waste anyway and tracking is more of a pain because of the hose connections and insulation. PV is pickier about the angle of the sun. Most clock based trackers use a microcontroller and a real-time clock to limit clock skew, and you have to know the exact time of the azimuth for your location. Also because they are suspended, they are susceptible to wind blowing the panels and then there is solar diffusion which a clock based system doesn’t account for.

Neither approach is wrong especially for the different applications. One just self-corrects.

4 Likes

I’m sorry this has taken so long. I still don’t have enough daylight to take a picture of the dehydrator.
This one is called a plancha stove. it is a Latin American style. You fry directly on the plate and don’t need a pan. It is not a perfect rocket stove because the metal plate is an heat sink.
KIMG3920

KIMG3921

This one is an oven style. it was originally designed using three barrels but the barrels rust out in a couple years so I built a box out of stainless steel. The smoke goes between a double wall and out the chimney.
KIMG3922
KIMG3923

these are just mud bricks stacked in the proper way to make a chimney the right proportions. the first one the bricks are hand packed in a simple box mold and it is just a mixture of clay and straw.
the second one is pressed brick that has about 10% cement in them. the first one is built on a base built out of the pressed brick. the second one is not built perfectly that is why the top is so black and it has been run for many hours when we use it for canning.
KIMG3924

KIMG3925

this is one built out of clay and mud using a bucket and a couple pieces of 4 inch pvc for a mold. I have done them in metal buckets with a wooden form on the inside. once it sits for about a month you light the inner form on fire and burn it out.
KIMG3926

This is one commercially made in china. an organization that Larry started and then later broke ties with started having them mass produced in china. They work ok but they are too small and cost to much.
KIMG3927

KIMG3928

This is another plancha type stove we were trying to make it a street vendor model but the dimensions are off somewhere. i think it could still work but the air flow has to be fixed.

KIMG3929

I am not certain who came up with all these designs. I believe the bucket mold style was Dr. Larry’s original. Dad and Dr. Larry came up with the oven back in 2009. I am not totally sure on the plancha types. The brick style came from one of Dad and Dr. Larry’s students in Nigeria.

the rocket stove is not a specific design just a set of principles. If you follow the 10 or 13 ( the original 10 will work, Dad and Dr. Larry added 3 more a few years back that is why I say 13) principles then you will have a clean efficient burn. Y’all probably already know that but ill say it anyway.

13 Likes

Dr. Larry really was a genius, I’m glad he found a way to use it to help people. Wish I could have met him.

6 Likes

wow, nice builds you have, jacob, thanks for showing all…my problem is we have so limited “under roof space”, that the stove must stay outside and mobile…i thought for theese simple construction with two round or angular pipes for cooking…i have a rest of stainless pipe from the cooking gasifier for construction…
with the fruit dryer is the same, must stay outside, i thought of a metall construction that heats up by sonshine, stands sloped about 25 or 30 degrees.
when there is no sun, there is the possibility to heat by wood with double -underside…
maybee, when i find ss used, all built in ss, best for keep up outside, further heats up with sunshine as same or more as black coloured steel.
your fruit dryer is simil to our bread stove , but with the dryer i will build i think more fruit i can dry in one step…we have a lot plums and figs…when the birds let over something…
ciao giorgio

5 Likes

Speaking of drying fruit,…

14 Likes

tone, fantastic stove, you have built…how works the heat transfer from the fire to the baking chamber?
the plums, you must mix sometimes throug drying procedure?
you dry completely with the stone inside?
ciao giorgio

5 Likes

Giorgio, the fire burns slowly below and heats the brick upwards, and the flue gases rise to the upper part at the back,… the sketch will say more than my words… I stir maybe once a day, drying takes about two days, maybe even three

11 Likes

What kind of temp do you have in the drying chamber and how hard is it to maintain a fairly steady temp? I have a six hundred watt dehydrator that runs maybe 300 hours a year. I have often thought about how I could reduce that cost and what I would do if I didn’t have grid power. The main problem is that over about 130 F a lot of stuff would case harden and then Never dry all the way through properly. Most of the stuff I dry at less than 120F.

7 Likes

this is the design how i will buid the dryer from ss…

tone, thanks for design of your stove, really nice, also the chimney with old briggs…a good idea the draft of the chimney draws out also the vapours of drying…
the dryed stuff gets some taste of “smoked” ??

on the picture our bread stove, self buit 25 years ago, a ss box , fire from underneath and double walled, the outer wall - where the heat drafts between wall and metall- is made from a lokal stone from here what is heat resistant…
needs very small quantity of twigs for baking bread, pizza, lasagne…smoke not enters in the chamber…over the oven is a little room, maybee a cubic meter for making smoked meat…

5 Likes

Giorgio , imate dobro idejo , sonce in ogenj , no , neposreden ogenj na pločevino lokalno zelo pregreva ta del , jaz bi na vašem mestu predel z ognjem obdal z glinasto opeko , ki delno izolira in razporedi toploto , tako je tudi pri moji peči , prilagam sliko , kako je moj sosed izdelal kovinsko peč za peko , no glede pretoka plinov in obloge iz šamotne opeke je upošteval moje predloge

3 Likes

Ha, as an interesting point, I should say… my neighbor Branko said that when he lit this stove for the first time, he lay down inside and felt how the surface was heating up, he said that it was fairly even, which is also the goal for good baking or drying, the hot gases rise around the heating part and leave the furnace through the chimney on the rear upper part, there are also two openings for steam discharge at the top, which are subsequently connected to the chimney, the steam discharge is regulated by a flap.

7 Likes

hi tone, in our bread oven is the same, under the white metall are some roof bricks, and under the whole box is another thicker metall ss, otherwise the heat would be really too much…
a good idea from you to make the same in the planned dryer, when it becomes locally too hot…
have you figs on your land? seems on the foto with the tractor -in the west nothin new- i have seen 2 little fig trees… we have dark blue and green races…

2 Likes

Giorgio , tudi fige imamo , bele in črne , vsako leto lepo rodijo , to je zelo hvaležna rastlina , vendar eno je pridelati , drugo pa predelati v obstojno obliko .

1 Like

I got to thinking about dehydrating and I wanted to suggest to you folks that have more eggs than you know what to do with that you consider dehydrating them. Stored protein. I’m going to say that reconstituting scrambled eggs like you get in the food storage containers is not, in my experience a taste tempting treat, but powdered eggs mixed in to other foods like soups to add protein is a good way to go. Everybody needs to get as food secure as possible.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dehydrating+egg&client=firefox-b-1-d&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&vet=1&fir=G6UEsgHgawx0-M%2CfSgLaY-eoZxZQM%2C_%3BIiVx28UKnrkJTM%2CHlvproFbFftiVM%2C_&usg=AI4_-kQMeUXyh75_0cafiAAKPAzh9hQXyw&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwibnaiVmIb6AhUNg4kEHdPOBPkQ_h16BAgJEAE&biw=1088&bih=488&dpr=1.76#imgrc=IiVx28UKnrkJTM

4 Likes

Yes Tom that works good. I have been doing that with my extra quail eggs. I reconstitute the powdered eggs with dehydrated onion bell pepper and cheese for omeletts and they actually taste pretty good. I can mix the dry ingredients in small bottles and add water by a campfire for quick food in the bush.

4 Likes

my son makes tries with hho-gas… the normal elektrolysis needs a lot of current…he has good results with his self made cell…
the production could be increase though with with giving the current in frequences…he has read an american inventor john kanzius with the frequence of 13,56 mhz (radio frequence) has produced immediately a lot of hho gas what burns continous.
who can help with the plan for building a circuit (hopely simple ) to achieve this frequence with 4ampsoutput that goes through the cell with tension 12 v-fotovoltaik paneel…
who has ideas and experience??

patent from 1935 water car in usa

5 Likes