Is charcoal really less efficient? Im beginning to wonder

Jan 7, 2005
Gov. Rod Blagojevich ordered a Joliet landfill closed Thursday, two weeks after he found out one of his wife’s cousins is alleged to have told construction waste haulers he had clout and they could dump anything at the site without scrutiny from environmental regulators.

A top Blagojevich aide said the governor got involved in a matter normally handled by rank-and-file state employees to send a message that nobody in his family should expect special treatment, in particular his father-in-law, Chicago Ald. Richard Mell (33rd).

The cousin, Frank Schmidt, allegedly told contractors that Mell backed the landfill deal, though the governor’s office could find no proof the alderman had any involvement.

It is unusual for a landfill to be ordered closed so quickly after it is brought to the attention of the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency. The state has been investigating dozens of illegal dumps for years, some of which continue to operate despite repeated violation notices.

In this case, state EPA inspectors visited the Joliet landfill on six days in the last two weeks to survey the 45-acre site and collect soil samples. One dump truck allegedly was turned away during an inspection because it was filled with illegal debris, officials said.

The landfill operators apparently started dumping waste in a deep quarry off Chicago Street in Joliet in mid-November.

EPA officials accuse the landfill company, Land Reclamation Services, of accepting construction and demolition debris without a state permit, storing waste in violation of state regulations and allowing “actual or threatened” dumping into a nearby creek without a permit.

3 Likes

Perfect!!!
Rindert
20 characters

3 Likes

i am sorry for flying of the handle. But for 67 years i have seen naih sayers say the sky is falling. but I never got hit on the head with a piece of the sky yet. maybe one day i will. there is going to be things you guys can not even imagion that are going to happen in the next few years. but it seems that some people get carried away with something and the next thing you know every body is following along with them not knowing what they are doing . gasifying is the most clean fuel that has been done in hundreds of years. wasnt good in the 1800’s or early 1900’s but with the reburn units and the preheated air it can be made flameless. which will destroy most toxins. nitric oxide dosnt form until 1776 degrees C. our problem still is the inert gases going through the systems 75 to 80 percent. nitrogen argon etc these gases do not burn do nothing but take up space and delute the fuel we need a different way to make the gas .plazama from water etc. but for now this is the way to go. what we need is a way to control the gas mixture. then all we get is CO2 and water vapour. i have heard people say we run all day and get a teaspoon of water .Ya but the water is changed to something else it will go through the motor then change back again .what we have to understand is the water came back in the cylinder when it is burned. as steam. i have been asking Questions the last couple of weeks because we are ready to change the feild of gasification like nothing you can see yet. i cant do it it is a promise i made years ago but i can lead yous in the right direction. i just cant tell you how or do it as i am not allowed to change the way of men. only guide. the first thing i did change and what you see today is the out come i have repented every sense. so instead of worrying about the distruction of the world as we know it get together and build the gasifier revolution. the problem with global warming is out of our control but if you do what you can the world will fallow what our problem is now is the coal fired hydro plants . that kind of things . And yes as I say the government dont matter whitch one any and them all will screw up the lords prayer at the very least.

2 Likes

Referring to European Union . I am finding imitative and new terminology . IBC Intermediate Bioenergy Carriers , Includes Pyrolysis oil , torrefied biomass and microbial oil . Can we not consider microbial oil ? On the short list forget i mentioned it .
Wood chips or Charcoal . Charcoal is better . Wood chips are problematic . Matt has tried wood pellets . I would like Matt to try Torrefied wood pellets . If such a thing exist . What difference is there between chunked torrefied wood and chunked wood made into charcoal ?

I found another source for torrefied wood pellets . www.torrcoal.com [email protected]
There is a Greek group clube.gr that might be using this product .

1 Like

The machines make beautiful gas on torified or charcoal pellets. However, I have only so far ran short runs. I dont know if the reactors will get too hot or if there will be metal degradation. I do plan to explore this with the experimental units I am working on. Brian one of our members here is getting one along with another sale. I do plan to make one for the shop and will have it at Argos this year.

1 Like
1 Like

The thing about Stainless Steel in an environment with drastic temperature changes it must be able to displace. Never build in a straight line where it can not expand or retract. This will cause major stress leading to failure. This is why my reactors now float the bowls are irregular, they can displace in any direction. Stainless steel is actually a terrible material for this, it is still subject to oxidation at these higher temperatures it has lower melting point than mild steel and retains heat causing it to warp and expand leading to pre mature stress failure.

1 Like

Koen Van Lookenk_vanlooken
Has had the most success . If that translates being allowed to enthrall a country region into building USING gasifiers . Me very bad paid $35,000 for allpowerlabs grid tie power pallet that I was not allowed to use for five years and still is not working . And when it is working I can only use half of half of half of output . half of power none of heat .

1 Like

Yeah APL is grossly over rating their machines. I had GM engineers working directly with me, when I produce the LS based machines. The 3 ltr engine you most likely have is only capable of around 10 kW @ 1500 rpms. This is if everything at optimal.

They now claim that a 4 ltr is going to produce 30 kW peak. That maybe so for a very short time. However a 4 ltr at 1800 rpms is only going to be capable of around 15-18 kW.

I used a 350 hp LS-1 small block V8 at 1800 rpms we wanted to be able to sustain 25 kW. To produce anywhere near 25 kW to 30 kW power you need a minimum of 5 ltr engine.

Also dont forget about me, I have over 300 machines shipped worldwide :slight_smile: I also built machines larger than APL.

1 Like

For five years i could not use the thing . I did connect it to a 13 Kw water heater as a dummy load . It could pull the 13 Kw . Then I had an increase in internal air leak in pre heat air coil ,
it killed the unit .
I replaced the coil and did a better seal but I am at 3 phase 8Kw and it is not going to change .
I have grid tie . not a payday . It cost another 12 thousand dollars to get grid tie after I bought the grid tie .

2 Likes

Grid tie we do with a regular E motor of a few 100. Dont know why spend 12.000?

1 Like

The stock synchronization electronics DSE were specifically banned by exelon . I had to use an approved inverter that was currently approved , approvals expire . And I had to have a battery bank . And this is approved . There had to be a battery bank .

1 Like

Ai ai, that is not low profile. If you ask if it is allowed you can start paying. To bad. But if it is payed and working, the money is forgotten.

2 Likes

Where the money is ( or should be )
payment for providing grid stabilization
Jochen Schwill and Hendrik Saemisch, both 33, set up Next Kraftwerke GmbH in 2009 to sell power
Today, the former University of Cologne researchers employ about 80 people and have 1,000 megawatts from biomass plants to gas units at their disposal, or the equivalent capacity of a German nuclear plant.

“That was really the core of our founding idea,” Schwill said by phone from Cologne July 21. “That the boost in renewable energy will make supply more intermittent and balancing power more lucrative in the long run.”

1 Like

Hey, that is interesting. If it is what I think it is, energy market for small players? Will check later. Was looking for something like that some time ago. Thx

2 Likes

Jan: Will decentralization disrupt energy supplies, or just the businesses of traditional energy utilities and generators?

Amani: That depends on how they react. RWE and EON, Germany’s biggest utilities, have lost roughly 80 percent of their market value since 2007, which suggests a strong ‘yes.’ However, no one knows what would have happened if they had radically embraced the changes in the market and acted accordingly. Generally, a switch from conventional plants to renewables means that their conventional assets produce less and make less money, which is certainly a problem for them.
Amani Joas: As provider and operator of a Europe-wide Virtual Power Plant (VPP), we aggregate many distributed production units and control them centrally. The idea is to network thousands of small units and provide enough flexibility for Europe to be 100 percent powered by renewable energy sources.

Furthermore, we have a strict non-asset ownership strategy. This means our VPP functions as a platform for asset owners. If you think of AirBnB as the world’s largest hotel without actually owning any real estate, or Uber as the world’s largest cab company without owning any cars, we are a large and growing power plant without owning a single production unit.

3 Likes

Germans building wood chip fueled generator in Thailand for Germans
With over 32 percent, Thailand has slightly more forested area than Germany compared to the land area. The use of renewable energies from wood is therefore just as much an issue at the other end of the world as it is in Europe. In a few weeks, the first multiple system for generating electricity and heat will go into operation in the popular holiday area of ​​the Germans.

Many manufacturers promise a functioning system based on wood gasification technology. Unfortunately, only very few companies succeed in developing a profitable wood gas plant.
Mr. Pfeifer, expert for electrical energy supply, energy management and cogeneration of EVIT GmbH speaks of 73 known manufacturers of non-functioning wood gasifier concepts. Spanner Re² GmbH is pleased to be able to replace an older, non-functioning wood gas plant in Thailand with two modern HKA 70 plants. A suitable hall was built in advance by Re², in which the two wood-power plants will be installed shortly. This first reference system from our customer, the Numchai company in Thailand, will go into operation at the beginning of 2020 and will set up a further reference system in Asia, which demonstrably generates electricity and heat from wood chips.

Biomass power plant with powerful gas engine - HKA 70grossprojekt_500kw_500px

4 Likes

One of many reasons Ive gone to pellet fuels. You can run Bagasse, hemp feed stocks for example.

I will be able to network machines beyond a megawatt.

1 Like

I was looking for material that could be used in reduction and not be destroyed . So I was looking at alloys of zirconium . there are crucibles made of zirconium , and a vodka shot glass .Zirkonium-Becher

3 Likes

Nice!! Yeah at some point we may 3D print ceramic cores. For now the Stainless Steel cast bowls we use work well. They are 1/4" thick (roughly 7mm) But possibly later we may drive them harder with larger engines. So far I have not seen any degradation yet.

4 Likes