JO´s 8" gasifier

Good day Kritijan, found this in Finland. I had read it some time ago and I looked it up. Here are the links:

Finnish Eco-car Association (wood fueled car association) (in Finnish)
http://www.ekoautoilijat.fi/

Wood gas cars in Finland (many), with photographs
http://www.ekoautoilijat.fi/tekstit/kalustoesittely.htm

Hope it helps!

2 Likes

Well i realy apriciate the effort sir but l am not Finnish :grinning: it was a bit of a missunderstanding. l live in Slovenia, a country with (on contrary to Finland or Sweden) no woodgas history or present. I was just asking for refferences. I am planing to call the ministery of trafic on Monday, maybee set an apointment to find out some details and l wanted to be prepared.

Thanks again will try to translate that!

1 Like

I would talk to them saying you would like to build a hybrid fuel vehicle. Don’t say wood to begin with.

Ask if altering the engines systems makes it illegal for road usbe.

Then ask what they consider usable fuels…

That’s what I’d do

3 Likes

Found this than can be of help.

http://www.ebb-eu.org/legis/MS_4thReport2007/SLOVENIA_4th%20report%20Dir2003_30_report_EN.pdf

1 Like

Hi, Kristijan!
10 of July 2016

The easy main point: Woodgas systems can be intalled on cars registered until:

1975 in Sweden, ?

1. of july 1987 in Finland.

Additionally preparations are under way in Finland to extend the “dateline” up to 2001
if meeting the current exhaust norms… Euro 4.

Max

2 Likes

JO I thought of you today at a car show when I saw this

We hardly ever see these anymore and less yet in pristine condition like this.

5 Likes

Touch this inquiry with caution KristijanL.
Dutch John in the Netherlands says one of his worst mistakes years back converting his Vovlo car to woodgas came from openly disclosing to his taxing (road fuel use tax) and safety&fitness agencies.
One fellow in WalesUK gone now silent broacasting out woodgasing a LandRover V-8. Safety& Fitness, and Insurance.
Even what seems to be wide open posible to do in the USofA - IT IS NOT. Highly regulated (or NOT), state by state. And even not posible county by county within at least eight states.
I now know of three in my state in the wrong counties now had to either leave state and/or go dark about thier vehicle woodgasing. Factory installed/certified emissons modifing in any form crosses Federal and State Anti-Tampering Laws in all states and locations. Ultra-Eco-Green Freeks regonally here, freek mightily about us cutting down trees for personal use fuels. They wish to ban ALL wood burning in any form, for any purpose.
Couple of Canadian fellows been hassled mightily too. Insurance.
No surpize the EU is not that uniform. Use this confusion to your advantage.

“Nothing is rarer in this world than common sence”
S.U.

8 Likes

And sometimes, under the radar is best. Don’t kick the sleeping dog.

4 Likes

Wery thankfull, thank you wery much!
l think l found a hole in that article to be in my favor.
I was thinking of that Steve U. The goverment must get the tax somehow. How wuld they charge me? Thanks for the word of warning. l will rather say l am planing to build a build a wood gas car (partialy true) rather hat l allready own one.

2 Likes

"Two things I know definately are INFINITE: …the universe, and human stupidity" Albert Einstein - Nobel Price winner and phisicist

2 Likes

Hi Kristijan,
Sorry I’m late getting back to you. I’ve been with my family on a 9 day camping/fishing trip in the Norwegian mountains (no phone or internet)

Max is right. No newer light weight cars than 1975 can be registered as Gengas vehicles in Sweden, although 2500-3500 kg vehicles can be registered until 1988. Am trucks and VW Caravell pick-ups fits those numbers. Unfortunately am trucks at that age often have carb or tbi and are rather expensive here if they haven’t rusted away.

So, I’ll try keep under the radar with my Rabbit. It’s 1990. I don’t know if I’ll get fined if I get caught, but I do know I will have to show up at inspection in a mounth notice to get registered for “modified vehicle” and the modification will not get aproved.
I actually reasently asked the inspector what would happen if I showed up next time with my gear on the bed. He smiled and said: - Nothing! You can haul any load you want…but it can’t be connected to the engine. So that’s my plan for the next inspection, next year. Police, until then - we’ll see. Unfortunately almost everyone in this country knows what I’m doing as soon as they notice my hopper. If they don’t they’ll suspect it’s a still - well, it was and is :smile:

5 Likes

l guess we have identical thods then :grinning:

Anyway l foun out that such a modification might be possible in Slovenia but shuld be done by a professional company and tested in a test lab. So in other words l wuld get a lot of petrol for the money spent on legalisation.
My Seat is designed that i just unplug the gas hose and mixing valve and it looks like it drank petrol all its life. But the small gasifier only gets me to job and back and that cute little car is to small (and dangeorus) for my family. We currently drive together in my other car, Chevrolet Lacettl. It is a nice ride but it is quite a drinker. So synce this is my bigest fuel consumer of all my dino drinkers l thint the time is right for a change. But later about that :wink:

Fishing trip sucsessfull? You sent us some cold weather from the north so thank you very much neaded it a lot! :cold_sweat:

2 Likes

Same same everywhere I guess - engine certification to a certain fuel. Only affordable by big manufactures. Some might say politicians tricked by oil companies and auto industri in kartell.

I guess. We can have fish for dinner at least once a week until next summer. However our oldest dog died during the trip. Final stage of cancer. She got professional help to go to sleep. RIP Tyra :cry:

4 Likes

Thanks Max, I’ll digest while unpacking. I’ll get back to you.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear about your loss. l lost a dog about 2 weeks from now and i still think of him every day… But hey, the circle of life! I just payd a reservation on a puppy today, by a big coincidence.

Well that was one hell of a catch then!

3 Likes

Took the rabbit for a 40 mile ride this evening after replacing my faulty vacuum gauge.

Obsevations:

As I suspected my readings are about 10:1, even worse after a while on small road low speed. After a few miles on the big road pulling constantly 30-35 in at 50-60 mph speeds I was back to 10:1. I can’t use more than half throttle above 2500 rpm or I will pull 40 in (around the clock). Fifth gear is 2000 rpm at 50 mph.
My monorator void enters only about one inch above the nozzles wich means they never see vacuum above 4 in, same as the hopper.
Gas temps from cyclone entering condensation tank are:
200 F at high idle
350 F at around 40 mph
450 F at 50-60 mph

On todays 40 mile trip I used 26 pounds of wood, that’s 1.54 mpp or 0.65 ppm. I collected about 3/4 of a gallon of hopper juice. That means if my hopper were to collect every drop of water in the wood it has about 25% of water by weight in it. Hm…my wood isn’t as dry as I thought.

When I rolled into my driveway in neutral I suddenly lost my idle. I just managed to rescue it from stalling, but when I did that the hopper vacuum jumped up like never before. Either I have a huge bridge or I have totally ran out of fuel, char and all. Remember my char bed is not even a gallon from nozzles to grate. Hm…hopper temp indicated I was starting to get low on fuel, but not that low. We’ll see tomorrow.

So, apart from the current possibly empty firetube it seems to me I’m suffering from constant constipation. If the firetube is empty I think I’ll take the oppertunity to raise my grate into the reduction tube an inch or two. I don’t think I can use larger fuel in this little gasifier.

Please let me know if you have other thoughts.

3 Likes

Hi, Jan-Ola!
16th of July 2016

Sorry about your dog! I have grown (up) with dogs…

What is your current fuel size and sort?

1 Like

Mostly egg size. A mix of anything with leaves on (björk, al, rönn, sälg och asp). I don’t use pine or fir/spruce.

Do you think I can rule out overblasting since nozzles ever seen vacuum above 4"? Most of the time around 2".

Don’t get me wrong on all this. This little gasifier has already surpriced me working a lot better than I could ever dream of. It only too obvious I have a high vacuum ratio.

1 Like

What do you chop your wood with?

1 Like

Made myself a small rebak (stepovac?) last year. Look at JO’s Rebak Chunker. It’s under wood chunker categori. I belive they are pretty common in your area.

2 Likes