JO´s 8" gasifier

Are those two nipples and caps pipe thread ie tapered thread? You wouldn’t think they’d be leaking much if any unless maybe they rattled loose?

I like the auger idea, saves cutting big holes in the bed of your 1/2 ton :slight_smile:

1 Like

No, no ratteling, but even the smallest airleak will eat some char in a 1000 mile period. However I’ve never seen this much white ash down there before so I hope I’m right. I wouldn’t like to se an airleak on the housing.

1 Like

Nice video! I like the auguer ash dump idea, hope you dont mind l steel it someday.
My guess is you are right on a airleak on the left nipple. To seal it, l found it tebest way isto use glassfibre strands impregnated with silicone, about the same as flax with linseed oil on plumbing.

As you may have seen, l dont actualy open the ashdump from the bottom anymore. I found it much easyer to empty the gasifier, this allso gives me a chance to inspect it. But if l remember right this is harder to achive in your system?

1 Like

I can´t take credit for it. That´s Don´s idea and what he used on his woodgasifier. I stole it and I didn´t even ask. Sorry Don :cold_sweat:
I used plummers flax for the caps before but I must have forgot last time.

If you don´t open the dump from the bottom, do you scoop it out?

“Ideas are in the air” If any of my ideas are any good they are free to all :smiley:

10 Likes

That’s good because I may steal that auger idea too :grin: !

1 Like

JO, the easyest way is to suck it out with a industrial vacuum cleaner. But l allso have 90deg bent spoon in my car in case l have to scoop it out.

1 Like

I was pushing Kristijan for an update yesterday and today I realised I haven’t made one myself in a while.

I didn’t have any arrends to run and the weather was nice so I decided to go for a ride just for fun. I went up the mountains and visited lake areas where I haven’t been for a long time.

When I got home I decided to wash out the coolers, while the condensation tank was warmed up and not frozen. I haven’t done that for a couple of months.

11 Likes

Weren’t you worried parking the truck on that slope that the water running out would cause ice in the snow, and your front wheel drive would just spin.? Are you making a statement with a “white” house? I thought everything was painted that rusty red color. Sure good to see someone driving in this winter weather. I feel like a dunce. I have gone out to the shop a few times, but I am stuck at getting the old gasifier apart and I get discouraged very quickly in the cold. TomC

1 Like

Are those electrical water tight EMT elbows on your cooling rack? You had the nuts loosened before the video so you could just pull them loose?

1 Like

Don, those are gray 2" sewer pvc. They all come with rubber seals. I use same type all the way up to the motor. No nuts, screws, glue or anything. We have the white pvc too, for fancy visible bathroom/kitchen use, but I like the gray ones better. They are sturdier (and cheaper).

Tom, with a RWD I would most likely still be sitting nose down.
No white house statements here. Wrong side of the pond.
Tom, I DOW at least 20 mile roundtrip to work every day. Even if your gasifer sits in the shop we may waste equal amonts of gasoline anyway since you claim you never leave the farm.

8 Likes

Thanks for the pics and vid. If I ever go to Sweden, I will be bringing my Grizzly 700 with me, awesome looking countryside!

1 Like

Could you post a picture of that? I don’t think I’ve ever seen those type seals in the USA.

Chris, these rubber seals work pretty much like hydraulic piston seals, only they are placed on the female side. In sewer use the more water pushes on them the tighter they get. Easy on, hard to get off. Not really made for vacuum mode but still tight enough. I pull 40" H2O from time to time and no sign of leaking in. A 2" pipe is 50mm. I went down to 48mm on the cooler for easy on/off. It still seals. They come in 15/30/45/90 degree and 2"/3"/4" dia.

9 Likes

I think I’ve seen it here Chris but only on 4 inch and larger.

2 Likes

In LA I worked putting in water mains. For most of the time we used concrete/ asbestos pipe. But near the end we went to plastic that looked just like that only in 12 and 14 inch size. Much nicer to handle and work around. TomC

1 Like

Remember that song “I’ve been everywhere” ? That wasn’t you was it?

2 Likes

I have been blessed to travel quite a bit both on my own and with the company. But more than that I have “done” many things. After 18 years of working for Goodyear as an engineer mostly in a factory and mostly in So. Cal., I decided if I was staying in Cal I needed a job outside to enjoy the weather. And that is when life became just fun. TomC

4 Likes

I took my 1 and a half year old son to the hardwere store when l bougt parts for my gas suply. We came to those fittings and he sayd “kocke” (meaning Legos or other toys that assemble). And he is absolutley right! They are Legos for grownups. I love them. They come in all shapes and sizes, and are compattible with other materials. And dirt cheap.

5 Likes

Kids sleeping, work done, animals fed, so l took some time to watch the video in peace over a glass of wine. Pitty, l expected a longer one :smile: thats actualy a compliment. Realy quick procedure. How do you open the bottom of the condense tank?
Allso, has cool weather produced more water in it?