JO´s 8" gasifier

Thank you Kristijan.
The drain is an ordinary 1 1/4" valve with the handle above bed. Right above on top of the tank is the vacuum line attached. That’s where i put down that small rod to punch out the bottom sediment. I expected it to start draining by itself. It usually does when things are still hot (and no cameras are rolling).
Low temps, more water in the tank - yes. High temps, less water in the tank, more water in the hayfilter.
Bedtime now. My alarm screames 4.20 am.

6 Likes

JO thanks for letting me steal your plastic butterfly idea without asking you. :smile: That works really good!

9 Likes

Haha, you’re welcome :smile:

JO, or anyone else that use cyclones, did you ever measure temperatures before and after your cyclone? I am curious what temp drops occur thru a cyclone.

1 Like

Don,
I’m sorry but I’ve never owned a tc that can take more than 600 F. I’ve only heard others talk about crossover temps in the 700-800 F range.
I put my tc where the gas enters the condensation tank (2 ft downstream the cyclone outlet). Normal temp there during medium load (45-50 mph), is 300-400 F.
So, those are the before and after temps I pretend I have :smile:

6 Likes

Don,
I’m playing catch up here. Temps start at 1:03.
Pepe

4 Likes

Hey J-O, looks like you are not the only one with a VW pickup gasser.

6 Likes

Ha, I wonder if that’s Turbo-Vesa who was on here a couple years back? Has to be.
I thougt about some kind of bed lid too this winter but the snow melted away and so did my plans.

Hi, J-O !

Confirming!

2 Likes

I think less noticed is more confortable for many through out the years, i have seen them with aluminum tool box looking units, with fans at the bottom lined up with the tail gate too exspell the excess heat or any gas leaks if a leak were too happen.Thats why i am thinking of more heat exchangers and less cooling racks and insulating the heat exchangers and hopper and core hearth housing.leaving the cooling rails exposed for better cooling. And getting better waist heat salvage. The out side of the heat exchager and hearth housing could all be insulated with light weight aluminum tin with regular home fiber glass insulation. Could all help with efficiencys it would seem. I seen the heat rolling off the unit area’ and while walking by on way too shopping i ask and he said he had a gas generator and was cooling the radiator.out of sight out of mind, he did tell the truth.

1 Like

I know Max once mentioned only about 1/3 of the heat can be taken care of with air preheat. When preheated air is up to full temp there are still 2/3 of the heat left, which can be used for heating/drying fuel or wasted in the cooling racks.

2 Likes

I gess its probly good enough, i like too capture 2/3 of the heat and heat the cab or shoot it under the truck some how, after the snow melts i will not even think of it. Your small rabit pickup is a neat looking peice of art. Have you got a miles per pound estomate,??

I’ll be on the same track if I ever DOW. No sense in doing all that work only to be pulled over and shut down because no one knows what the heck you’re up to. Truck cap for me, I’ll figure out some other way of doing the cooling :grin:

Any one i have seen useing the toper or tool box efect look had lots of cooling vents on sides and top and bottom tookeep well ventelated, i kind of like this rought myself prefera ble.most just dont really know what it is anyway. Only time they seem too draw attention is while filling the hopper, and thats why we all pick certain areas for refueling.It is a good renewable energy choice, when oil is gone its gone, wood can be grown and harvested as any other crop. And its laying everyware just being burnt in the feilds as rubbish.

2 Likes

About 2 miles per pound if I run at least a full 30 mile hopper.

3 Likes

Seems like pretty good mileage - but I guess you’re not running an 8.0 litre V10 in a 8000lb truck either :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks jo i dident know if you delt with english american math.I know what you mean mine takes about 8 pounds too warm up the grate too 400 f for steady running in this colder weather at leaste it aint dino car gas.

4 Likes

Jan-Ola, I figured my mileage after I have my gasifier warmed up, just a little Dino being used at start up. I top off my hopper before I leave the house to check my miles per pounds of wood. At my normal driving habits, I am getting 2.5 pounds or more wood, to every mile. Trying to get it down to 2 pounds but there are a lot of hills to climb in my area. 318 cubic inch engine and a heavier truck. I think you are getting very good milage out of your gasifier truck.
Like Kevin said, warming the gasifier up takes a few pounds of wood in colder weather so I never count it against my mileage. Heck it just wood, not Dino fuel. SWEM
Bob

5 Likes

While doing some other maintenace I thought it was time to look down the hayfilter that hasn’t been washed down all winter and several thousand miles.

7 Likes

Jo, looked pretty clean compared to mine with less miles. Your hay looks like what I just put into my filter hopper to replace the old stringy hay.
Bob

2 Likes