JO´s 8" gasifier

Bob, I may get away with less soot since the barrel is very big compared to my little engine. Huge setteling area. My woodgas is practically at a standstill inside my hayfilter :smile:

3 Likes

Hi, Jan-Ola!

Not to forget a pretty cyclone! Almost all WK builds lack it, so the cooler tubes (before condense bucket) have to take a grand portion of the soot…

2 Likes

Max, add a cyclone, and hot gas filtering with the WK set up and you would almost have the perfect gasifier, minus the paper filtering. Working on cyclones and hot gas filtering for the future use, but not the paper filtering. I Think the hay filter will stay pretty clean after all the rest carbon removal is done.
The trick is, you still want to some room to put wood in the back of the truck so you can travel 1500 miles or so. Right!
Bob

2 Likes

WOW didnt expect that! Looks like a lot of soot! But it seems to wash out easy.

It seems suesidal for the engine, to draw all the soot in, at least for my plastic manifold :wink:

3 Likes

Mr. JO Some questions about your hay filter. As just an additional filter I have a disk of that breathable foam, about 4 inches thick on top of the hay filter. I see you have a plastic barrel for the hay filter. Have you had any problem with it collapsing from the vacuum? After watching this video, I had to go through and watch 5 or 6 of your videos. I just love to watch the one “idling around town” Had to do that one twice tonight. TomC

It looks like your barrel is just like the one I use. What penetration seal are you using? I put a 1 1/2 inch open cell foam disk on top of the hay for a little extra filtration.

Mr. Collins,
I belive you and I share an interest in forign cultures.
I would like you to know I feel uncomfortable with the “Mr.JO”. I feel like back in pre WW 1 in England with earls and lords.
We have very little nodding and bowing here and no one ever used anything but first names for the last 100 years. We don’t have a word for “sir” or “please”, our prime minister Stefan does his own laundry and he used to work as a professional welder.
Things are starting to change a bit but we struggle to keep an “open mind”.
I tell you this also because I want you to know that if I don’t use Mr, Sir or such, it’s not to be rude. I just don’t really know how and when to use them.

Yes, I have. I had to reinforce the widest part with rings of rebar.
A top foam has crossed my mind but I guess I have hesitated because I didn’t know what frost would do to its breathing capability. The amount of soot is not as severe as it looks in the video. The big flakes are just ice crystals from condensation. The soot is only very fine powder.

It’s a rubber that reduces 3" sewer to 2". It shuts tight towards the 2" pipe but leaks a little on the outside if I pull really hard. That doesn’t do much harm this far downstream, just leans the mixture a little at a hard pull.

2 Likes

Hi, Bob!
There will always be a struggle for room!
The other will be about service ability.
The third about functionality…

Starting point is: How to best handle some gallons of soot; it will come, no question about that.

The cyclone is the best 1:st stage “reducer” of the big amount. Handling over 90% and releiving the rest of the system, which is harder to handle.
A cyclone “bottom-pot” attatched with 3 click-excentric snap locks serves as a carrying away vessel with clean hands!
Clean hands! And 90% of the trouble is “carried away” with clean hands!

To keep oneself independent of climatological variations, from tropical to permafrost regions, the natural 2:nd step is a well insulated wowen mineral fiber filter.

So far keeping the gas well over the dewpoint.
Now, and not before, comes the time for a reaheter for primary air!
A greedy mind would of coarse put the heatexchanger before the hot filter, but that is backfireing, be shure!

Then it is time for a “clean” cooler, needing rinsing more seldom.
But, reheating after that and making paperfiltering is a quality safety filter, and saving the motor from intake manifold headache!
That’s one easy going way to handle gallons of soot…

6 Likes

Mr. Max,
If one was to try a hot filter sometime in the future - is there a preferable setup of the fabric? I’ve seen only Hedemora-Kalles horisontal propane tank, same as Johan Linell used, I guess Vesa (the author) uses standing socks and then of course Kristijan’s setup. Is there any other proven setup to squeeze lots of area into a small volume?

4 Likes

Hi, Jan-Ola!

I will forgive you, if you forget mistering me…

Of those mentioned, only the type with free vertical surfaces have any ability to shake off cakes of soot, provided there is an ample fall down volume below.
Wrinkled fabric is excellently locking the soot at itself!

Here again: Hoddling a lot of square meters in a small bucket is not a working solution. It cloggs fast.

Well done filters work 30000 km without other service than emptying the bottom part of the filter container!

My favorite on the board is a “spanish dancing skirt”, just forgot the genuine term! Ha! It is flamenco!

A vertical barrel with a sub-lid a bit under the normal one.
In this sub-lid, a 6 – 8" center downpipe (thin SS), perforated with 3/4" smooth edged holes in circumferencial rings about 2" apart, hangs vertically.

One whole cloth ~7m long 110 cm (1,1m) broad is sewed to a tube.
But before that, along the length at intervals of 1m, a double seam is made “around the tube” with a contrasting colour for marking each meter of tube length.
Permanent marking!

The SS tube bottom end is closed. Gas will be taken out between the lid and the sub-lid through the barrel side.
The sub-lid is hanging on a welded-in carrying ring.

We make 15 circumferential “hole-rings” at intervals of 2".
6 holes 3/4" per ring.

Counting from top downwards, each second ring is free for gas sucking, each second is for the fabric to be spanned in place by an outside spanner. The hole-edges are giving a “grip” as the outside spanner is tighted.

Each “spanner head” has to be covered (by smooth metal or ss-mesh to avoid carving through the next abowe over-hanging layer).

7 “hula-hula” rings of AL (aluminium for some) tubing or thin SS tube, 1–1.5" diameter, ring diameter 13".

The assebling begins at the sub-lid end.
First the “mouth” of the filter canvas over the uppermost hole-ring and eaven-wrinkled, spanned in place (with protective mesh or folio applied inside and outside the spanner-head)
This first spanner has to cover well the 3/4" holes in the ring, so nothing leaks by from abowe!

Then the first hola-hola loop, and a spanner with a protected head at 1m of the “canvas tube”.

Second hola-hola hoop in, protected spanner, 1m cavas, hola-hola hoop, spanner, 1m canvas, spanner…

The last spanner goes to the 15th hole-ring.

Here to be sharp! Here too the lower end spanner has to keep gases from leaking, this time from below!

When rised it should look like a symmetrical a christmas spruce!
The center tube would be ~34" or 86,4 cm in legth.

Below this you need ~45 cm for the lowest skirt bag, and
some 20 cm for settlement.

So from the sub-lid down to the bottom:

34" + 17.7" + 9" = 60.7" roughly…

Correct insulation is up to your mind!

3 Likes

Wow, thanks a lot. I’ll do some multiple rereading and digesting.

4 Likes

and that’s why we like pictures

4 Likes

Burned out the intake today. Unfortunately the battery in my phone died, but I think I got the most important part.

Now I know what you’re talking about, Mr Wayne.
I think last time, in the fall, I just didn’t have enough soot in there to feed the engine any gasified “soot fuel”.

7 Likes

Hello JO

Thanks for the video !

After the soot catches fire you can turn the gasoline off and the soot burning will feed the motor .

I try not to rev the motor too high so not to get the manifold too hot . If I think the manifold is getting to hot ( touch or pour some water on it ) I will shut down and wait a minute and restart .

Just yesterday I burned the manifold out on my dakota . I can’t remember the last time or if this might have been the first burn out in about 6K miles . It is possible I made attempts before but this may have been the first time I got smoke out the exhaust .

1 Like

Thank you Mr Wayne,
I was surpriced myself when the rpm went up close to 4000 :smile: I expected it to go down from running rich when the soot caught fire. However I was a bit overwhelmed by the success and I didn’t really wake up until I realised the camera died :smile:

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the video!

A funny coincedence-l cleaned the intake today too :smile:
I poured in a old bottle of schnaps, and mixed some acetone in while highidleing. I saw the same smoke as you and Wayne. And a lot of popps trugh the intake. Looks like a effective way, plus l got rid of the schaps :smile: l am more a vine/beer guy.

But interastingly, my soot looks different. At least the old one.

1 Like

A real hybrid car you got. Woodgas, petrol and ethanol. But, what a waste on the schnaps :smile:

In what way?

2 Likes

And soot :smile:

It had a sticky note to it. I think you nailed it, pellets.
The new soot washes out ok.

How hot does the manifold get at burning?

1 Like

Thanks for the vidio, nice learning new intake clean for more models and rpm reminders.

1 Like

I could still touch it quickly. I shut the motor down and shut the butterflies tight a couple of times to let it cool down.

2 Likes