John Deere M

Very nice Arvid.
How long do you project this will take? It looks like it’s going pretty quick for you.

I’m hoping to have all the major pieces done by the end of the month… that will give me 3 weeks or so to get it all plumbed and tested… here’s hoping…

Hi Arvid
On my cooling rack similar to that I eventually welded nuts in line with each pipe and made a needle nose fitting for my pressure washer to wash the soot out of the cooling tube.

Looking very nice.
Thanks
Patrick

Looking real good!
Ya gonna use any baffles?
TerryL

Gas will enter on the right side bottom and exit left side top… Baffles? kinda… tubes on the right side extend into the bottom manifold some what more than on the left side… lol… cut a bunch of tubes and then realized they didn’t need to be that long… but so far the gas flows from bottom to top.

fun project you got there. i’ve got an allis CA about the same size . nice looking cooler.i too use taps with the impact wrenches i like my butterfly3/8 for most small holes.looking foward to your progress:)

Looks good Arvid.
This tractor has a fan in front right? So that way it should also pull air through your cooling tubes as well, right? Is that why you put the cooling tubes on that side?

Yup, that’s idea Bill. Also i seen a picture of an old tractor that i’m kinda copying the layout.

Arvid, I know you are a wood chip guy so is that what you are going to run in the Deere? Do you screen out the little stuff? How do you dry them this time of year?

I try to shake out the dust… have a screen with about 1/4 openings but I don’t shake that hard… I still have some wood chips left from when we got a ton plus a year or more ago… I can get kiln dried chips up here from a lumber place… its the ends of dimensional lumber that gets chipped up. I can get a ton for 100.00 from them… while there is a fair amount of fines, i really don’t screen them all out… at some point i do what to get my own plate chipper… then make a drying kiln.

Nice cooler!

Thanks Eric

I know it don’t look like much but finally the gasifier body is starting to come together… condensate gutter is welded in. This will be more compact than our preproduction unit… It will have the same size hopper capacity, more advanced air preheat and our fully adjustable no shake grate… can’t wait to get it finished and mounted on that tractor

Good stuff Maynard!

I really look forward to seeing updates on this post.
Just curious Arvid. Does this customer have any experience in wood gas? If not, I imagine you have something set up for customers that are new to wood gas to get an edge on the 75%?

He runs steam engines. His dad who is still alive remembers having a gasifier on their car during the war…

I’m hoping to be able to run his tractor for a week or so before he comes and gets it… that way i can figure out how to make it run… I’ll make some vids for him once i figure it out. I do have a bit of an owners manual that i’m still compiling… really basic…

I’ll also make sure to spend some time with him here when he does come to get it… show him how to start it in person… to be honest, nothing beats actually doing… and I’m sure he’ll get the hang of it pretty quick… i’ll always be as close as a phone call other wise.

Otta be a real treat for Dad! Hope you still have nice working weather as it was 94 here yesterday.SUCKS THE LIFE RIGHT OUT OF YOU! Keep us posted. Dan

A rare opportunity to work with/for a woodgas veteran from that bygone era. An interview on camera would be priceless. Go Arvid!

Up to this point It is still pretty much a Victoria (Stephen Abaddess original design), and this is where his and mine diverge. Sadly, I can’t show everything that we do differently.

Looking good Arvid. What restriction size are you using for that M?