JO's -91 Mazda B2600

That looks similar to my 2" plastic drain line if my gasifier is cold. I like to dump it when it is warm. When it is hot it comes out fast and runny.
Bob

3 Likes

I don’t know If we have a thread for embarrasing moments. Anyway this is what happened yesterday.

The truck had been sittning for maybe 1.5 hours. I opened the lid to poke down some shrinking and glueing. I was only a couple of miles from home and I decided the chunks in funnel area was enough.
I did as I’m used to. I cranked up and drove off on the stored woodgas, hybrided for a while but was back on 100% wood in a couple hundered yards. That’s when the hopper sneezed, only this time it was a loud bang and I lost all hopper vacuum.
I stopped at the roadside. The hopper was smoking like a chimney and the lid was gone :astonished:
I started walking and found the lid with a broken hinge 200 yards behind the truck in the ditch. Meanwhile several cars had stopped and I found myself in a situation where a lot of explanation was out of the question. I just told them the truck is so fast on wood the lid was ripped off by the wind :smile:
I went home on dino with a smoking hopper and the tail between my legs :blush:

Edit: Last night I made a new sturdier hinge and even went for a testdrive :grin: I wouldn’t like anything like this to happen while in town :smile:

11 Likes

The thing I have noticed causing the high pressure sneezes is excess spring pressure on the hopper lid
The guys using a leaf spring type lid have loud bangs
I am using a single 1/2 inch diameter by 6” long coil spring and the very few times it puffs is hardly noticible.

A 1” wide soft silicone gasket will seal airtight with minimal pressure

3 Likes

Wow JO, That’s a good one. You put it on the correct thread, your 91 Mazda B2600. Your explanations, I have to give you 10’s for scores.
Driving home with Smoking hopper and the Tailgate between your legs, another 10 for score.
You are in the lead for embarrassing moments for this year’s competition.
Bob

3 Likes

Correct. I’ve had problems lately making my lid seal. I have a weak spring too but the frying pan doesn’t allow for a wide enough gasket.
Also I think letting air in while poking down in an almost empty hopper and then pull start things allowed for maximum space and perfect conditions for a big bang.

Right, anyones embarrassing moments are welcome here. This is the right place :smile:

3 Likes

Haha, what I meant by keeping our OOPS, on our own threads is it helps everyone under stand what is going on with each ones builds, and what they are doing to correct it. No custom gasifier is the same in the build or in operation of running it. They all have their own quarks to them. It is a learning experience for everyone reading about the happenings, the positive and the negative ones, as long as no one is hurt it 's good reading and learning.
Bob

3 Likes

Yes a frying pan would be a challenge to seal

I managed to find a LARGE SST salad bowl, sandwiched washers and silicon rubber gaskets at top center (so it can rotate and self level) and it has a 3/4” wide flat rim for the seal.

My first several attempts for laid all leaked and I had many BANGS.

4 Likes

Yup all you need is a 1 to 1 air / gas ratio in the hopper, ignition and it is magic… BOOM!
My big hopper lid is more of a Rumble, Rumble Fart, but maybe I just haven’t had the perfect
BOOM ratio. I hope it never happens.
Bob

4 Likes

I haven’t done any chunking in over a month. Inspired by @goellie’s chipper video I felt like it was about time.
An hour of wood gathering, 15 minutes of DOWing and another 15 minutes of chunking gave me a small batch of fuel for the truck equivalent to about $150 worth of gasoline.
One and a half hour of work at work gives me a net income of only about a tenth, doesn’t give me free exercise and isn’t nearly as fun.

12 Likes

Butyfull woodlot! Mainly l envy you your flat terrain :smile: the only flat terain l have is the livingroom :smile:

The wood is alder?

2 Likes

Didn’t you notice the steep hill? :wink:
Jokes aside, a creek runs parallell to the river for about a km and this is the area inbetween.
It’s kind of sad actually. My grandpatents farmed in this area 60 years ago. Then came modern times and Sweden as a whole now imports 40% of what we eat. Millions of dino fueled truckloads every year.

If you’re refering to the wood I chunked it’s a mix of mostly grey alder, mountin ash and different sallow. Even a few maples in that load. I like to save the birch. It grows slowly but is better quality firewood (easier to find customers).

4 Likes

Jan, it’s surprising how your woods look much like mine. I need to make some trails in mine to get to the maple trees for syrup. I will save all those sticks for wood gas.

2 Likes

Makes me feel like home too, quite amazing. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@BillSchiller, @taitgarry00 Yes, I’ve notice the similarity. It’s pretty much what valley woods look like around here. With only 100 feet elevation it’s 80% spruce, 20% pine. Is that what you experiance too?
Only 100 miles south oak and maple start getting the upper hand in low terrain.

1 Like

Ha, interasting. Here there is litle to no spruce/pine untill about 3000ft of elevation. We live on 1800ft. Preety much all country looks like this

Its funny, you can judge hill elevation quite accuretely just looking at the hillside. Allso whats interasting is there is usualy a clear transition between conifer/leaf trees.

Due to global warming the boundry gets pushed up thugh, but on the other hand we will likely loose all our conifer due to bark bugs anyways, in maybee 100 years. Unlike many other, l think this is a natural phenomenom. Beech/oak will fill in the space fast.

Edit: haha just noticed the pictures inscription. I guess you get free Slovenian lessons :smile:

5 Likes

Haha, we live on 570 feet. Pine trees are getting shorter already at 1,000 feet. Not even mountains reach 1,800 feet around here. You need to go a couple 100 miles west to find those. At 2,600 feet (800m) there are no trees at all.

2 Likes

I’m glad I inspired you :smile:
Your chuncker you call it rebak? (is it polish inspired) or is this a common system in Sweden?
nice machine!

Thank you!
Definately Polish/Youtube inspired. I’ve never seen a Swedish one. They seem to use them a lot in all of Eastern Europe though.
I just call them rebak. I don’t know which language that is. @KristijanL might know. In some videos they are called spalicovac, stepcovac and even betok with Russian letters.
Make sure you have several hours off if you start watching those videos. They are very addictive :smile:

5 Likes

I am not sure either. All l know is štepkovac means something that does… well… what the Rebak does :smile: the root of the word means to make many identical objects fast.

8 Likes

Al,
Special request. Please make us a sketch of your tar still/hopper lid. I think most of us don’t understand how it works.
Rindert

1 Like