JO's -91 Mazda B2600

You are having way too much fun JO :smile: good thing its free and untaxed :smile:

Bob, with your automixer, how big of a leak starts to cause a/f ratio problems?

4 Likes

Hi Kristijan, when using the auto mixer it does not seem to take much of a air leak going into the gas side to give you a lean reading and cause a weak gas conditions. Maybe a 1/4" hole and I will start seeing the air/fuel ratio meter change more to a lean and less rich read out on the meter. This is one of the disadvantages of having a auto mixer. You need to keep it in a no air leak mode of operation. I normally do get a rich gas conditions using the auto mixer more then the lean reading on the air/fuel ratio meter, so I have a 3/4" valve air line that I can control from the cab of the truck to add a little extra air into my gas/air mixing chamber when conditions call for it.
Just to be fair about it, my next build will not have a auto mixer. It is a lot of extra things that can cause problems if not maintain. If you have a air/fuel ratio meter you can adjust your manual air valve from the driver’s seat. And if you do develop a air leak you can still close your air valve and keep going and get home on wood/char gas. Then fix the problem at home.
Bob

5 Likes

Why couldn’t we just have a stepper motor that adjusts just the air inlet damper automatically using the signal from the oxygen sensor to make the 50/50 mix?

5 Likes

Don, I think that’s pretty much what Johan Linell did on his old Volvo back in 2007.
Personally I don’t mind adjusting manually. An a/f guage would be nice though, but I never got to the point installing one. If I feel like fine tuning, a short click on fuel switch tells me if there’s still oxygene left to go with the fuel.

5 Likes

Jo This old pickup has a screen that shows the O2 vs hydrocarbon ratio? :smiley:

1 Like

I dont mind a manual air valve neither. Its just l am trying to make my system wife-driveable.

Ha, 1/4". My whole air suply has about that cross section :smile:

Don, that wuld be great. But a high level in electronic knolidge wuld be nessesery to design a circuit. I hope some good guy is willing to draw it down for us to be able to copy, or buy for that manner…

3 Likes

Hi Thierry. I’m sorry. I wasn’t clear.
No, no screens :smile: What I meant was, a quick click on the fuel switch will give me a short burst of extra power as long as I’m running lean. If the a/f mixture is already on the rich side nothing will happen. Way too rich and the motor will bog down if gasoline is added.

8 Likes

At lightup and DOW home from work this morning it was -22C. Tires and suspension rock hard. Made me think of -40C @taitgarry00 and @TomC , but also of DOW people during WW2 and what they had to endure. Winters of the early 40s were what we call “wolf winters”, with long term below -40C temps.

Avaraging 200 pounds of wood a day for heating and another 20 for transportation. Cost saving eq to about $20 a day.
If I turn the heat up some and go for another ride I should be able to quit work :smile:

Blessed with plenty of accumulated solar energy

12 Likes

JO you are too funny!

4 Likes

A cool hopper allows for condensation and dry wood.
Lightup early morning, going home from work.

12 Likes

We all learn a lot from Mr Wayne. I hope you all forgive me for being a copy cat :smile:

10 Likes

Yes JO, we can now call you the (WK) of Sweden going shopping with the wife in the old wood burner truck. We should have a badge for this on our DOW site, like the other badges we can earn. @Wayne would be leading the way with way over 200 plus badges earned by now for himself.
Thanks for sharing the video. It is Always great to see one of your videos. Sometime I just go back and review watching videos of the different members to see if I have missed something by watching it.
Bob

5 Likes

Thanks for the copy cat vidios, were all trying too pass that torch on, that our favorite teacher Wayne Keith, shared the road miles with us, and boosted our abillity too beleive its a worth while fuel, and project worth tackeling.

5 Likes

At first I thought about putting this video into “tips and tricks” but I don’t want to lead you down the wrong path :smile:

15 Likes

How many miles per bill? :slight_smile:
Unfortunately they tend to come again…

7 Likes

Thanks for a good evening laugh :smile:

6 Likes

Hello JO

Around here those bills are considered sustainable material.

8 Likes

Depends on the amount saved on each bill, I guess :smile:

Yes, I’m sure even if everything else brakes down, bills will still keep coming :rage:

8 Likes

I made this video the other day, but decided not to upload it. I thought all my videos tend to turn out the same.
Today we’ve had 12 inches of wet snow dumped at us. The truck stayed parked under the carport and I suddenly felt, with the nice weather in the video, it had to be uploaded anyway :smile:

10 Likes

Amen to going out and driving on wood with the windows down in the spring time, you just got to Love it JO, and I know you do, even if there is a little mud.
Thank you so much for the ride with you I really enjoyed it. I finished my spring cleaning out on the Dakota gasifier truck today. Now it my turn to go for a drive.
Bob

5 Likes