JO's -91 Mazda B2600

Thanks for the ride JO .

Being able to drive on wood is like having sunshine on a cloudy day :grinning:

8 Likes

7,000 miles since March last year. I decided to vacuum the gasifier, Leitinger style. I’ve only done that once, in the fall. I have no other way of emptying the dump area and the coarse sandy part of the ash likes to accumulate as a bottom sediment.
While doing this I discovered my restriction looked funny. Kind of oval shaped. When I touched it, it was loose and about to fall down. It’s a bearing racer and its flange sat on a spacer. The flange is now burned away.

I put a new bearing racer restriction in. 4.5" ID this time. The old one was 4" ID (before it became oval :smile: )
What’s funny is that the flaky side of the restriction is the outside. Inside is smoth as new ???

No damage to the thin 1/16 ss protective shields around the nozzle area.

10 Likes

95% of my driving is within 15 miles range. Today I was expecting hot refueling but experienced hopper distance records.
Wife and I went to visit some friends. 60 miles and one full hopper each way. The hopper alarm started to scream the last mile both ways.
10% by volume of mosquito net screened gasifier char was mixed in. Makes a huge difference on outgoing gas temp on longer open road speed trips, when all fines otherwise would be consumed.
SWEM :grin:

7 Likes

Hi JO, did you put the char on top of the hopper load or was it mixed in with the wood?
Michael Gibb has been doing a little char with wood mixing. I have tried it also but added a little in at start-ups. I have thought about adding some on top off the hopper load and see if there would be a difference in distances traveling.
Good job on your new distance record of traveling on one hopper load.
Bob

2 Likes

Bob, I added the char in the top layer of the wood. It seems the char “sprinkles” down evenly that way. At long term open road speeds temp outof the cyclone stays around 200C instead of 250-275C with plain wood and same chunk size.

3 Likes

How large of char can pass through mosquito screen? or did you mean just the dust screens out

2 Likes

Yes, I only screen ash and dust outof what I collect in the cyclone. The rest becomes fuel. Still, it seems 90% is 1/2 inch char and only a smaller amount fine char.
But again, 95% of my driving I run plain wood.

7 Likes

Hi JO, I was looking at your fire tube and I think I see 5 lower nozzles and 10 upper nozzles? Are you using all of the nozzles when running your gasifier. Or can control the air on the lower set, off and on or the upper set.
Also if I remember right you do not have a grate and your char bed sits on the bottom. The gas flow velocity keeps the ash and small char bits moving to your cyclone filter, keeping it from constipation build up in the char bed? Which needs cleaning out every so often.
Bob

2 Likes

Right, with a separate valve I can shut off the air supply to to the upper nozzle manifold, but it seems I never use it. There’s no need to. During winter it frooze in open position from tary smoke backing out the nozzles and I haven’t touched it since.

Right again. No grate. Works pretty good. I have to be careful though, not to pull too hard too long, or I lose too much char into the cyclone. Sometimes even more than the cyclone can handle. I always flush some char from the rear tank.
Over time I get a bottom sediment of sandy ash/slag in the gasifier. It has to be emptied manually, but I’ve done that only twice in 7,000 miles.

If I ever build another gasifier, the internals will probably look pretty much like a WK. I’ve been kind of reinventing the wheel, but from the Imbert layout starting-point. I don’t regret it though, because I learned a lot doing so.

6 Likes

Hurrah! Exactly!
Do something, anything, to get yourself into real loaded, working, engine running.
Then. And only Then; from Operations learn(s), “design” improve from there.
S.U.

7 Likes

Sunday trip.

12 Likes

Thanks JO , I always like riding with you :grinning:

5 Likes

Same procedure as last year, Miss Sophie :smile:
One year and about 6,000 miles since last haychange. Lots of soot in the bottom layer but otherwise the hay still looked healthy after a full year of use.

11 Likes

Good feeling to finally being able to fire up my own gasifier. A 50 mile one way drive to wife’s parents for some chores. Quite different from those Chicago 8 lane roads :smile:

14 Likes

Thanks JO . enjoyed the ride :grinning:

2 Likes

That was great JO, I noticed you were driving your truck at a higher speeds. Lol
Bob

2 Likes

Hi, J-O !
Sorry jumping in with an irrelevant (for this matter) question!

In which thread are you and Kristijan discussing injector nozzles?
I have seen it earlier this spring, but cannot find it…?

Max

1 Like

Hi Max !
To tell you the truth - I have no idea.
Did we discuss injectors (gasoline) or nozzles (gasifiers)? Anyway - could be anywhere, but most likely Kristijan’s MB thread.

1 Like

Hi, J-O!

To put some meat on the bones: It was a talk about sucking wet gases down from the silo and blasting them into the glow-center…
Perhaps Kristijan can recall that “exchange”. It went on for a few rounds, and somebody else was also participating…
Max

5 Likes

Hi Jan, you mentioned lot of driving lately. Any new observations? All runs well?

3 Likes