JO's -91 Mazda B2600

JO,
The seal for the pipes in through the wall to the hay filter, where did you find them?
Regards Jan.

1 Like

Jan,
I happened to run across them on a shelf at Ahlsells. I’m sure they can be found elsewhere, or ordered.
Mine don’t seal 100%. They are meant for a more solid wall.

1 Like

With firewood comes limbwood. That’s a good thing since gasoline tax went up last week and then Saudi bombings this week.

11 Likes

Ok, I didn’t know where to put this, so I chose my own thread.

Things are turning our way. For some time now CO2 emissions are taxed. One of the parties in parlament now suggests offering payment for any CO2 negative activity. They specificly mention burying charcoal in the ground.
Just think of it - not only saving money when DOW - but earning some too. Talk about win-win :smile:
I don’t know if this news article is translateable, but here it is.

8 Likes

Thanks JO

It is translatable

SWEM to the bank :grinning:

7 Likes

Today was a rainy day. Not much to do outside.
@Jan asked me the other day what blower I use. Decided to make a lightup video. Unfortunately I flushed the system yesterday and no stored woodgas cranking up - otherwise a normal lightup.

Pic: Wife’s been complaining about our broken dishwasher. I’ve procrastinated for about six months. Bought the demo ex. $100 of cardboard would have been soaked in rain anyway.

7 Likes

Today was a rainy day. Not much to do outside.
@Jan asked me the other day what blower I use. Decided to make a lightup video. Unfortunately I flushed the system yesterday and no stored woodgas cranking up - otherwise a normal lightup.

Pic: Wife’s been complaining about our broken dishwasher. I’ve procrastinated for about six months. Bought the demo ex. $100 of cardboard would have been soaked in rain anyway.

11 Likes

Jan, I love your simplicity with the blower for starting up your wood gasifier. I think most of us have been making it way to complicated. I am going to rethink what I was going to do to a more simplified approch on my gasifiers for now on.
Thank you for your start up video.
Bob

4 Likes

Thanks for the movie JO, it gives me a little more inspiration, when it doesn’t work for me, was up to Borlänge and bought a blower, when I got home I saw it was at 220 volts, Hmm.
May ship after one of 12 volts in too.
Is jealous of your building, especially with our gasoline prices.
Thinking about starting over with mine, as I have doubts if this will work.

2 Likes

Thanks for the vidio light up, sending the hay gas reverse make use for heat up too.

3 Likes

Thanks guys!

@Bobmac, like most of us, I like cutting corners. I try pick the ones that don’t matter so much.

@Jan I know how much Mr Wayne’s videos meant to me and others. I’m glad If I’ve been able to add just a little to your inspiration by making a fool outof myself :smile:

@kmrland The blower in reverse is just pushing air into the rails and up the charbed. Hayfilter gas stays put as long as the woodgas valve up front seals.

5 Likes

I don’t think you make a fool of yourself, you think you’re a good teacher.
One question: you have had a rabbit, which do you prefer the rabbit or Mazdan?
Or would you like a bigger engine?

4 Likes

The main reason I switched from Rabbit to Mazda was the Mazda was possible to legally register as a woodgas vehicle and the Rabbit was not. Also, the floor rusted out on the Rabbit, with a no-go at inspection. No MIG and no thin welding experience.
I built the Rabbit gasifier without knowing what to use it for. It didn´t really fit the car. Too tall and somewhat experimental. Looked a bit funny. The power to weight ratio on gasoline was better with the Rabbit but still the Mazda performance on woodgas is better. I think, mainly because of 3 valves per cylinder. Downside is the head is probably more delicate. I have had some ratteling going on from time to time, probably when flakes of soot let go in the intake. Never anything but smoth running with the Rabbit.
All in all the Mazda is a more versitile vehicle, with 4-wd, a back seat and a lot more loading capacity. About 50% higher fuel consumption though - but that doesn´t matter :grin:

7 Likes

Allways nice to see a cold startup, very fast startup too.

Some gasifiers have a torch hole for lighting, would that make starting faster?

I hope to make a auto lighting system that work by a timer, so the car is ready to go when I wake up in the monning.

3 Likes

JO, thanks for the video!

Jim, this way is fastest. The fire spreads from center outward, while a lighting port ignites only one side then the flame front has to go over the entire hearth.

Auto ignition is not pracicly possle with wood. Maybee charcoal.
Problem is each time you startup you need to inspect your gasifier content with a stick, as JO demonstrated.over cooldown, tars will glue the wood together.

But what you can do, at least l did, is inspect, poke and fill the hopper in the evening. In the morning, l hit the fan, touched a torch on the light port and drove off on petrol. After a km or 2 the fan can be killed and gas can be blend with petrol, in a few moments you are 100% wood.

10 Likes

The gasifier I working on now will use charcoal and some coke so it would maybe work?
Otherwise if one use wood then you could do the inspection in the evening before you go to bed.

The gasoline hybriding is real nice too and when one lives on the mountain I guess you motorbreak most of you way down? :wink:

4 Likes

Exactly :smile:

Well l guess so. Will you be making a up or downdraft gasifier? Keep in mind coke has more ash that has to go somewhere

4 Likes

Good morning Mr. Jim

There are several ways to fire up the gasifier depending on the state it is in when shut down. I usually light up and drive off on gasoline which may not take more than 2-3 min extra time . Hope I am not hijacking JOs thread but here is a cold morning start from several years back .

PS already put several miles on the truck early this morning and about to get in it again as soon as I stop typing

BBB
Wayne

7 Likes

Updraft, only need to figure out the lid.
I was gonna mix it with charcoal but if that don’t work I may make something more suited for coke.

Thanks for the startup WK!

1 Like

I forgot to mention, charcoal gasifiers are generaly way easyer and faster to lightup. woodgasifiers make potentialy tarry gas at lightup it is not adviseable to run startup gas in the engine, but thats no problem with chargas. With charcoal you dont even need a fan. Idle the engine (mpfi) on petrol, light and drive. The engine will provide suction and cut off fuel when gas gets richer. When it gets rich enough, you open the air and kill the fuel pump.

I may missed it, what vehicle will you be runing?

3 Likes