JO's -91 Mazda B2600

Thanks for posting the video JO .

I noticed your hopper juice looks very similar to the hopper juice here in the USA :grinning:

Happy anniversary my friend .

7 Likes

That was a wery pleasant video, thank you!

6 Likes

My hopper juice is always nearly black?
Douglas fir and alder wood and only a cup of tar in the last thousand miles.

5 Likes

That’s strange. My hopper always produces about the same color of the juice I would expect myself to produce on a hot summers day with not enough to drink. That’s regardless of what kind of wood I use.
Tar is always pitch black though. I remember a video of an elderly Norweigian guy who worked as a truck driver during the war. He said they prefered alder due to low tar content. I don’t put a lot of effort into separating my fuel, but I know I’ve been running a lot of birch lately and tar production is up a lot. I’ve used some and gifted some away, but I still have 5-6 gallons stored. Kristijan said he could probably use some tar and I’m trying to find a way to make a couple of cans end up on his doorstep without buying a phonebook of stamps :smile:

7 Likes

Thank you JO, that was a great video. Your hopper juice looked very clear, not much tar mixing in with it. That means to me, you are burning your tars up and converting them to fuel for your truck. Dumping on a raining day produces no stain on the road. And it is a good weed killer too. Happy anniversary, wow you have almost have driven the same miles as the rabbit truck. Good job.
Bob

6 Likes

Bob, the juice drain is positioned a few inches from the bottom of the can. I bring the can indoors to drain the tar over night every now and then.

5 Likes

My drain is set up the same way, but my juice is very black, even if it settles over night. It could be soot particles mixed in or the cherry wood is staining the water.
Bob

6 Likes

“Soots, soots, soots, soots, and soots. Three (gasifier systems made) of these you can minimize. The IC engine will eat the rest.”

It does not take very much carbon particulate soots in weight or volume to muddy up the process.
S.U.

5 Likes

YES!!! A sigh of relief. Annual inspection today and I passed.
The old Mazda is now a veteran vehicle and inspection is needed only every other year from now on. Also, no more road tax. Saves me another $350 a year.
To be able to enter with a cold system I drove 100% gasoline for 12 miles going to inspection. I can’t remember driving that far on gasoline since inspection last year. Lit up and added wood with big smile on my face as soon as I received my document and left the facility :smile:

10 Likes

Congratulations for passning and now owning a tax evader!
Those inspection are always a pain and expensive too. :persevere:
But now you do only have ten inspection left! :smiley:

5 Likes

Congrats on passing inspection I am very thankful we don’t have those here.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I thought about this build the other day when a mechanic customer said he was wanting to sell his 87 b2600 mazda truck. I was quite tempted but it only has a carbureted four cylinder and I am used to my fuel injected v8’s. :smiley::smiley::smiley:

5 Likes

There’s lots of room under the hood of those Mazda trucks. A V8 would probably fit, but it would mess with the weight distribution, have to re-engineer the front end to keep it safe. There were higher power Mitsubishi engines though, including certain years of the Kia Sportage, I believe, a Mitsubishi F block made for turbo…

2 Likes

I think you are right but if you are going to do that you need to find old stuff at a junkyard not spend that kind of money on a good running truck.

3 Likes

I would agree that 4 cyl mazda would be a enteresting project, for running around empty.

2 Likes

Thanks guys.
Jakob, I agree about inspections. They are a pita.
The best wood burner in my opinion is the most useful one :smile:

6 Likes

Al Frick woodgassed a 98 Ranger 4cyl, same basic hardware as a Mazda. It seemed to work well, from everything I read on his thread. Then he talked about putting a V8 5.0 in it. Al are you still out there?
Rindert

1 Like

Ford owned a share of Mazda at that time. Those Rangers were probably mostly Mazda.

One problem I can see impacting the power of those small 4 cylinder engines is that they were designed for peak power around 3500 rpm, might make for issues with the flame speed, incurring an additional power penalty. They did perform well on gasoline though.

3 Likes

How are those plastic sewer connections holding up?
I did buy some 2" for my gasmixer and wonder if I used them in my cooler, how soon could I place them without they will melt.

1 Like

I’ve never had to replace any of them, but I’ve only used them downstream the cooler.

4 Likes

Great nows JO! Did you remember to take the ash bucket this time? :smile:

3 Likes