JO's -91 Mazda B2600

Yeah. Localized flooding here too. Just a bit too warm to pack that all up and in properly into high mountains snow pacs.
We will pay the true prices of all this too much bounty here come needing melt off water next late July, Aug. And coming up short.
Steve unruh

3 Likes

Unfortunately my chunks lost almost 1/3 of their value recently. Cheapest gasoline in at least 10 years. (~$5 a gallon)
I took the opportunity fuel the Mazda up. I managed to squeeze in almost 10 gallons. Last time was coming home from Argos last year - 5,000 miles ago.

EDIT: If you zoom in to the left, you can see Mr Wayne has a button of his own :smile:

12 Likes

Does it “pump” chunks, too, or is that so Wayne won’t feel left out.

10 Likes

It never gets old driving for hundreds of miles and the gas gauge never moving. I even consider sometimes if it even works anymore. :grinning::grinning::grinning:
Sometimes the truck gets to running so well on wood I keep reaching for the gasoline switch to turn it off. :smiley::smiley:

I did the same when I was down in Florida Gas was $1.69 (US currency) per gallon compared to our $1.89 a gallon so I filled the truck up.:smile::smile:

7 Likes

Steve, for some reason I found it funny finding a STOP-button with Wayne’s name on a gasoline pump :smile:

With lower prices in general down south, are salaries lower in general as well (compared to nothern states)?

2 Likes

I don’t know about salary comparisons but our unleaded regular is $1.74 gal today in West Michigan.

1 Like

Ok, so not much difference. I guess you wouldn’t start hoarding at $5 then :smile:
I remembered an earlier discussion about milk being 3 times more expensive up north. Food is different I guess.

Btw, I was posting a letter today. The box is 200 yards away but I ended up making a 25 mile trip :smile:

6 Likes

It’s down to $1.39 down south her e now. Gas is generally cheaper here than up north. And we generally have lower average wages for similar work. The South is much less unionized. Cost of living is cheaper in the South generally. Certainly property taxes are lower in Alabama than just about anywhere. And we probably have fewer regulations over all. That’s why new york city buries their human waste in Alabama by the train load. So it’s cheaper to live here. It’s a right to work state. And a right to build state. And a right to homestead state. And a right to carry state. Etc. But we have fewer government programs in general also. Folks here are also kind of hard headed it seems, so the governor just today cancelled all public schools for the rest of the school year. And closed all businesses until the 17 the of April. I am wondering how these rebels are going to take that.

5 Likes

Same here regarding petrol prices. Many people stashed loads of fuel because they thod the crysis wuld cut off supply, you culd see people hauling all trunks full of fuel canisters. Then fuel got allmost 20% cheaper :smile: they must feel so stupid :smile:

5 Likes

Actually, I found out yesterday that all the factories in the county are still operating. Cabinet shops, chicken factories, sewing factories, etc…The order is “close all non-essential businesses”. The workers all said that if it wasn’t “essential” they wouldn’t be working there to start with. Probably bad news for the curve, but good news for our wood supply. The cabinet shop will keep filling our trailers I guess.

K, we bought a little fuel also. Wish I had waited. Wanting to get a big tank to buy diesel for the rest of the year before prices go up again.

JO, maybe this is not the place to put this, but since you’re our Swede, and we don’t seem to have a thread for this subject (maybe we need one so the folks who want to not hear about it can avoid it)… I noticed that you Swedes are a bit rebellious also.

2 Likes

Haha, I don’t think so. Quite the opposite actually. While many countries need legal enforcement we’re perfectly happy following voluntary recommendations.

A quote from your article:

“there is a high level of trust in public authorities in Sweden, which many believe is driving locals to adhere to voluntary guidelines.”

One reason for this might be we have non-political authorities in every field running things. As far as I know our prime minister held one single speach during this entire affair. In most other countries there are political decisions made where leaders want to appear determined. We prefere decisions based on scientific evidence.

Our state epidemiologist has close to rockstar status by now. He’s appearing on a daily press-conference on the news. He made it clear from start this will go on for several months and that we need to find a level of actions that we can live with and maintain. The most important thing is to slow down the spread enough to keep heathcare from an overload. Shutting down everything will make more harm than good. Why schools still are open for example.

7 Likes

Petrol prices are regulated here. Each second tueseday the goverment decides the price for every station except those on a highway. We get to know the price one day in advance so l can wait a nother week and see if prices go up or down, then l plan to make some reserves too :smile: not so much because l wuld fear of any virus related shortage but simply because l am tired of hauling home 2 gal at a time…

2 Likes

Here in Australia its a free for all ,pick a number hold that number in your head for a moment and then add say 20 ,no 30 , oh damn it 40 cents more .
there is a fuel cycle here one week the price will fall in some garages down to say $1.30 a Litre and that will last anywhere between 3 and 7 days and then bang it will jump in one go up too around $1.70 , it will stay at that price for a week or so and then like snow flakes over the next 2 or 3 weeks prices will gradually drop a few cents at a time

3 Likes

Our fuel is expensive compared to most other nations. We have German prices (usualy about 6-7$ gal and Balcan wages (minimal monthly wage at around 800$, averidge around 1100). But luckly our prices are relatively stable, riseing a cent or two per two weeks. Now they dropped 17c :smile: at least thats good :smile:

2 Likes

Being married to a Swede, I totally understand this phenomenon. Must be the most agreeable culture on the planet. LOL

4 Likes

Billy, there are exceptions. I’m married too. Just saying :smile:

5 Likes

that’s one of the funniest things i’ve ever read. lol

2 Likes

Sold some lumber. A 100 mile DOW delivery rountrip was inluded in today’s price :grin:

20 Likes

This is now my favorite DOW picture. Beautiful setting, truck, and I can almost smell the smoke.

5 Likes

Mike, wife was the camera man and unfortunately I showed her your comment. I will have to leave home and go for a DOW until her swollen head recovered :smile:

7 Likes