JO's -91 Mazda B2600

Hl Jan-Ola!

I had to rectify your belief!

The intake air to developed gas is cold to cold ~60% not about 30%.

This with wood.

With charcoal the cold to cold air part is ~65% !!!

Perhaps this will ring some bells?
Max

4 Likes

Thanks Max, that explains a lot.
I can’t remember where I picked those 30% up. Someone mentioned in an early thread and I didn’t check the fact.
Maybe I even mixed it up with preheated air expanding 3 times at 300C :smile:

3 Likes

I am not sorry, I have been thinking about this for months now. Ever since I rode with Wayne at Argos in his truck I notice he could put the pedal to the floor and his truck would accelerate a lot faster than mine. I notice his vacuum was less than mine. When I rebuilt my worn out muffler preheater for my air intake I notice it even more on the vacuum even with a loose char bed, my vacuum was higher. So I been kicking the idea around to add a by pass for cooler air after the preheater. Also I only have one 1 7/8" wood gas opening into the mixer. Two 2" lines down to 1 7/8". This may be causing problems in both places a choke or restriction on my wood gas flow.
Thanks JO, I am going to make a change and see if I can get back what I lost. And yes, I like to abuse and torture my gasifer too. Even if I need to get a bigger throttle body intake to get it to go like Wayne’s truck. Yup I’m stubborn I finally got the throttle bodies linkage problem worked out. I just needed to add a spring to keep them sync. and working together. Sorry about hijacking your thread JO.
I am praying you will be healed and back up on your feet soon!!!

Bob

12 Likes

Thanks Bob, I’m shaking off the last bugs right now.

That’s where I have a narrow opening too. Maybe only 1 1/2", because I utilised the stock connection for a plastic resonance can. I’m not sure it matters to my truck, with only half the displacement, but it’s worth a try.
Timing is another issue for me. My dist is advanced as much as the stock slots allows. Probably not enough. I can still run 100% dino without a ping or a single crank up backfire.
With the system breathing better and less throttle (position) needed, I guess the computer allows a few degrees more advancement, which in turn helps with power as well.
I’ve been thinking about grinding the dist slots some but never got to it.
Fun, fun, fun - as long as there’s room for improvement :smile:

9 Likes

The truck had been sitting for about an hour today and when I cranked up and drove away again I had a pretty loud hopper puff after about 20 seconds. I didn’t think much of it and kept on driving. Back home when shut down, smoke was escaping from around the edge of the 55 gallon barrel lid.
Running the wire wheel a little, this is what I found.

2 years and 6 months. Or 14,000 miles.

12 Likes

JO, I gather that it rusted through. Is that right?

1 Like

Steve, that’s right. The hopper puff just finished the job by blowing a couple holes through rust and paint.
I was forced to make a third trip into the city this evening. Before I left I just smeared some silicone onto the damaged areas. Works for now, but the lid will have to be replaced sooner or later. I have one more somewhere in my junk piles. Ideally I would have liked to make a dome shaped ss lid, but it’s easier said than done.

2 Likes

Oh thats bad. Is the lid normal steel?

Making one out of SS your self must be a PITA. How were you olaning to do that?

1 Like

Yes, it’s a standard mild steel barrel lid.
I have no idea. It probably won’t happen :smile:

3 Likes

Might not have them in Sweden. A top off a Weber charcoal grill fits exactly over the rim of a 55 barrel. It’s domed. With a piece of High temp gasket glued to the rim it would seal. Just saying.

5 Likes

Thanks you, sir! I’ll look out for Weber grills :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Ha, that wuld look fantastic! But what are they made of? Perhaps enameled steel?

2 Likes

That was my thinking too. If they are not stainless, there’s no point really.

1 Like

If they are enameled l can speak from experiances enamel and woodgas are good friends. Unless the enamel is badly damaged ofcorse.

4 Likes

I have regular galvanized lids if you want.

1 Like

Thanks, but If they are the same as mine they don’t seal very well, do they?

1 Like

I do not understand, thought your lid sealed well?
I think my lid is tight, but I have silicone between the lid and the container.

1 Like

Yes, but it’s a standard barrel lid and rubber seal.
Are you using the galvanized pannmur lid? I always thought they were way too flimsy.

1 Like

No, a lid for an oil barrel, I have some that are galvanized as well.

3 Likes

Oh, really! I didn’t know they existed.
You make me an offer I can’t resist. In a month or two we will probably make a DOW trip to Linköping to visit our youngest daughter and deliver some berries and mushroom. Maybe we could stop by on our way home?

3 Likes