JO's -91 Mazda B2600

The lid looks like this here, you are welcome at any time.

:grinning:

7 Likes

Oh, flat ones without the pump fitting. Perfect! :+1:

4 Likes

Strange, I would put away the galvanized lid, and put a regular one there.
The galvanized is 60cm outside and a regular is 58.5cm, does it suit you @JO_Olsson?

1 Like

Jan, I meassured my lid and the flange OD is actually 60 cm. The vertical part that fits inside the barrel is 57 cm.

1 Like

Sloppy maintence. I haven’t payed the throttlebody any attention since early summer or 3,000 miles. I’ve been having a couple embarrasing intake events lately and it seems the motor have been fed a few chunks of soot.
This is the downstream side of the throttle plate.

8 Likes

Low pressure shear turbulence re-forming mostly. CO energy forced reverting to CO2 and free carbons soots.

No. No. I do not believe in Pixies. Fairies. Sasquatch/Yeti’s.
I do believe in what I can see.
S.U.

2 Likes

Back in the 70s my grandfather told me: “Believe half of what you see and nothing of what you hear” :smile:

12 Likes

Wow JO, with that much soot to burn on, I think it would be equal to Wayne’s quote of a dead cat in the hopper for fuel will get you down the road for a mile or so.
Bob

8 Likes

15,000 miles on this gasifier now. For the first time ever it plugged on me going home from work yesterday. My own fault. The bag of chunks I fed it was full of small debrie. I was expecting the charbed to clear up eventually, but it only got worse. With only two miles to go and a 20:1 vacuum ratio I swithed to emergency fuel.
I emptied the gasifier this morning. First time in about a year of every day driving.
I could see no wear and tear. The stainless firetube and nozzles look the same. More baked carbon between and above the upper row of nozzles, that’s all. I thought about trimming the sagging funnel fingers some, but the clock was ticking. I left everything as is, shoved a bag of char in and lit up. Another bag of chunks and then off to work. Everything was back to normal.

17 Likes

7pm and waiting to be able to light up and go to work I happened to have a youtube pop up where Jordan Peterson was interviewed on gender equality. Meanwhile wife answers the phone. 3 yo Walter calling to say good night. Wife asks him what he would like for Christmas presents. Without the slightest hesitation he says he wants a flowery dress, like his older sister and wood - chunks to shovel :smile:

8 Likes

Rain and fog cleared up today. Time for some smoke.
Haha, the truck puffed and spattered. A few puffs and sparks backed out the throttle plate as well :smile:
The intake lit very easily today. Had to let the manifold cool off and start over again.

Also, the brake vacuum hose inlet plugged after the intake fire. Almost no brakes going down a hill.
Easy fix, but can be worth checking now and then.

9 Likes

Thanks for the pictures JO

Better for the birds and squirrels to see smoke than being down town around lots of people :blush:

6 Likes

Thanks Wayne. Yes, it can be embarrasing sometimes.
During summer a neighbour of mine came up behind me at a redlight - honking, waving and smiling in his brand new VW SUV. When the light turned green I had an intake event. He suddenly disappeared from the rear view mirror and I limped to where I was able to pull off. Not very good woodgas advertising.
However, a week later I was having a coffee with his wife on their porch, when he showed up from work. His wife asked him why he was late and he said he had to take a detour to fuel up. I pretended surprised and told him I had no idea what he was talking about :smile:

9 Likes

Did you clean the intake, or did it catch fire anyway?

1 Like

Today I lit it on purpose to avoid future embarrassments :smile:

4 Likes

Is it just to light a fire in the intake, or should you do something else first, and when do you need to do it?

1 Like

Just open up to get to the throttle plate. Crank up on gasoline, maintain an idle and set fire to the throttleplate soot. The glow should spread into the intake. The motor will run very rich and rough for a few minutes. If the intake gets too hot - shut down and start over again when cooled off.

I don’t know about the S10, but I have an air flow sensor that has to be diconnected to be able to idle. With the air tube disconnected, the sensor will read zero air flow and starve the motor of fuel.

6 Likes

Bob, I moved your question here. I don’t want to pollute Joni’s thread with soot :smile:
I lost track of the miles since last time I burned the intake, but I cleaned the tb manually late summer or 2.5-3k miles ago. The pic you saw now was a week or two back.

3 Likes

HI- jo happy new year on your side of the pond. are you able too clean the intake soot with torch too throtle plate. or have you had too pull the intake for cleaning.

1 Like

Thanks JO, yes I should went to your thread. You should make some smoke when you do your next burn out.
I hope you are having a wonderful happy New Year.
Bob

2 Likes