Kristijan's woodgas sawmill

Good morning Kristijan .

Here is a look at my junkyard saw mill .

Hard for me to believe it has been going for 21 years .

5 Likes

Might have to access a lathe, and turn some wheels to match an angle iron, push fit on a standard bearing.

Sawdust can build up on wheels and track, plastic scrapers on the carriage can help clear the track, possibly small grooves in rollers could help, maybe not as necessary though, close set plastic scrapers should keep things rolling smoothly for the most part.

2 Likes

Maybe something like garage door pulley:

5 Likes

Seems to work very well, how have you done to raise and lower the saw?
I have a chain sawmill, and think it is just too much shavings of this, so I am thinking of building a band sawmill.

2 Likes

Kristijan, I use v-belt pullies.

5 Likes

Jan, do have a picture of your chainsaw mill?

2 Likes

It looks like this, though I have one with an electric motor.

6 Likes

Hello Jan

The saw head is raised and lowered by small roller chain and sprockets . The truck steering wheel that I am turning does this .

5 Likes

I need advice from you guys. I wealded the tracks with a big generator l borrowed. 2 wealds and the welder quit. Tryed neighbours stick welder, same story!! Mine started working again after some time on house grid at home, his did not. Generator is new, 10hp diesel, angle grinder worked fine but not the wealder??

1 Like

I would check that you have all phases. The grinder might function with a lost phase but the welder probably monitors for all 3.

1 Like

Nope, its a single phase welder.

I was thinking, l have welded with a smaller generator before but this was a big diesel generator on rubber wheels. Is it possible that the problem was there was no grounding?

1 Like

If the welder has a circuit board yes you could have blown something on the welder control board from a lack of grounding

1 Like

Its a inverter. All electronics. Luckly it started working after a few minutes…

So grounding is a possibility. Will it help to stick a metal pipe in the ground and ground the generator?

1 Like

Yes that would be a good idea. The old timers would run steal wheels on the generator carts guess they figured the grease would be conductive enough that the bearings where not a problem.
But if it got better I would suspect a thermal resetting breakers in the unit was tripped.

1 Like

The symptoms sound a lot like a over tempreture switch cut the power until things cooled down.

Grounding the generator or welder is intended to protect the personnel from stray current from a failed insulation.

4 Likes

But the funny thing is 2 different inverter welders doing exactly the same thing! Half a minute of welding then dead. Mine later worked on grid power, neighbours did not.

Ha, the small generator l welded with before had no wheels at all. Frame on the ground.
Doesent make much sence to me either, the grounding stuff. But what else culd it be? Genny voltage was good at 232v.

1 Like

It may be a too bad sine wave on your generator, may be a square wave that the weld does not like.
I borrowed a generator from my son, but it was not possible to weld with my inverter.

2 Likes

Thank you Jan, l will be looking for a oldschool transformer!

2 Likes

I had problems welding with mine. I had to adjust the rpms in order to get the correct hz.

5 Likes

I got a old transformer welder, man what a hevy old peace of crap. Probably weighs more thain l do. Took me forever but l got it done! Just some minor things to be done, adjustments, then l can do some teating!

This is how l made the wheels

If l wuld buy original wheels, it wuld set me back 400$. This solution cost me 25$. Hope it works.

13 Likes