Life Goes On COVID 19 Discussion

Somehow did USA took the lead and became champion of the world … ?

However, look at the average numbers and the causes for each country, how they do things different.
If you observe that data and look deep into the root cause, then you see: if the government care’s and the people care, you’l have low numbers…

Statistics: average fatality ratio about 4% ( worldwide average number)
Some country’s do over-count the death-rate by counting every Covid 19 infected dead
Some country’s do not check or analyze the cause of death
Some do not count people died at home and not follow up on cause of death
Some country’s, even if patient was infected by covid 19 and subsequently died from pneumonia related to covid, they’l put the pneumonia on the dead certificate. Or other causes, they just want to have low numbers…

My take on this ?
Your life matters, i’ll wear a mask, i’ll keep my distance, i’ll clean my hands, i’ll use handsanitizer provided
And i am free to go… not detained at home

What rules do apply for being safe in public , with Gun’s, with car’s , with anything ?
Why would those basics not apply to Covid 19 ?

Stay safe you guy’s, i care and i worry…

5 Likes

I think actual fear is not as big a factor as politics.

5 Likes

We just never get that part. No news story ever hits the airways as
“Important breaking news : computer models were wrong! Everything you have been told for the past 3 years was a lie and the truth is actually the exact opposite. More inaccurate speculation from the prognosticators in a moment. Back to you Tom.” We only get the sensationalized speculation as long as it can be speculated, and then it disappears. There is never any real accountability in the news media for getting it wrong. ANd the same for everyone using the statistics and computer models that prove out to be wrong. SO…as others have said, we (the people) have lost faith in what we are told is real science.

6 Likes

me too …

Don’t do that Tom. I like the grumpy old man. You add some character to the site that we need…:relaxed:

“hugged”?

There are a lot of horror stories about elderly couples being separated due to CoVID. One of our produce customers put his wife in a nursing home because she was sick. They’ve been married 50 years and now they can’t even visit. It’s really sad situation.
My grandparents told us today that if one of them gets sick, they have decided to stay at home together and take care of each other and take what comes rather than be separated that way.

6 Likes

The problem is the confusion. covid is real, but it is also “novel” which means new. No one has studied it until recently. It is worse then the flu, but it isn’t as bad as anthrax. They were hoping it followed the seasonal flu pattern but it didn’t.
No one is sure what the long term effects are at all. They are saying long term liver and lung damage.

As far as deaths counts go. Some of it is subjective, because the virus causes organ failure. It is like having an engine with 500k miles blowing smoke and you put dirty oil in the system and it croaks. Was it because of the dirt in the oil, or was it the engine was already starting to fail? What do you blame the engine failure on?

I agree there is a lot of propaganda from both sides in the US. One faction says to hell with safety, if people die, we don’t have to pay for them. The other says no one should die from it. Somewhere in the middle is just trying to keep from overloading the hospitals enough so people don’t die because they can’t get treatment.

There is a lot of propaganda being tossed around from both sides to push their political agendas. What I do know is that -I- don’t want it.

4 Likes

I agree that a huge part of the problem is how variable covid is. Some people dont even know they have it, while others are sick for weeks, or succumb to it. That is further complicated by the fact that people can transmit it before they develop symptoms, assuming they even do go on to develop symptoms at all.

Perversely, the relatively low mortality rate is probably going to end up leading to more deaths overall. If covid was half as dangerous as anthrax, people would have taken it much more seriously and it would probably have been contained already. We have all the tools we need to stop the disease, what we lack is the will to come together and realize that the virus is our common enemy. Lockdowns or no lockdowns, normal life is not going to resume until the virus is defeated.

1 Like

I am not sure we can defeat it. In fact, I don’t think anyone has a plan to do that. It is more like just keep the numbers under control so we don’t flood the hospitals.

3 Likes

Not going to say that this virus is not life threatening for some people but if it were not an election year in the US the whole thing would have been dealt with much differently. You have all ready discussed these things at length so I’ll just add that me, my wife and two of my sons have all had what are defined as the symptoms. This was in April. No way to know for sure what it was because we would never accept one of their phony test in the Nazi State of Michigan. Bear in mind that I’m 73, so in the highest risk group. My symptoms were so mild that I didn’t miss more than a couple days of my normal routine. One son and his live-together girl friend who is a physicians assistant were both down with severe seasonal flu symptoms for about 5 days. They were the first to get it and gifted it to us. My other son had about four days down with severe headache and fever. Of us my wife had symptoms for several weeks with a constant cough and feeling weak and lethargic but still able to go about her daily tasks with a lot of down time inbetween. Our whole state was locked down for months while there were very few cases and only a few deaths in the whole northern half of the state and UP. The local economy, with is primarily tourist based was destroyed and will never recover. Probably m ore people have committed suicide in this area because they lost everything than died of the virus. The main death toll was in the large urban areas. This video was banned from all MSM and social media sites. One of the doctors was fired for taking part in it.

If you believe there was no agenda or plan for how so many states managed to implement a identical a lock down strategy in such a short time read this report from the Rockefeller Foundation from 2010. Page 18 lock step.

6 Likes

I don’t like the governor. She is part of the nazi group that did a lockdown against students in East Lansing which has been a fight for longer then she has been in the area. It took 30+ years of trudging around this group of people to actually get the student apartments in the downtown section. (part of it is the university as well, but that happens in Ann Arbor as well.) But they are in serious helicopter mommy mode.

The mishandling, IMHO is just not mandated at least self-made masks from the start. That was also mishandled at the federal level because they were afraid of a mask shortage for doctors. They didn’t rely on people to do anything. If you have one on you are less likely to spread it, and you are also less likely to touch your face with your hands. Boom that slows it down enough so you don’t overload the hospitals.

The problem with opening the UP, is exactly what happened when they did start opening stuff up. Is everyone downstate left for up north and brought the virus with them. I mean the UP and northern michigan wouldn’t have had to shut down if people werent carrying the virus up. One “hot spot” right now is traverse city. I think they have one hospital, they might have two. The UP only has a few hospitals for the entire area. The influx of tourists doubles or triples the “normal” population which the system is designed for.

2 Likes

Traverse City has one hospital because the people that own it bought up every other medical facility in the region. It is a huge corporation and there is absolutely no competition. If you lived here you would never realize there was an epidemic other than people walking around with cloth masks which do not act as a barrier to a virus. People have to deal with this however they can. For some of us it is a huge political manipulation. For others it is a life and death panic. If there were not so much politics tied up in it than it would have been dealt with in a more sane manner.

http://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/7143944893?profile=RESIZE_710x&height=600

4 Likes

Is the one in Petoskey still open or did they close it?

The consolidation of hospitals happened all over the country in part because higher medical expenses.

Same as downstate. This isn’t the plague where you would see people dying in the streets.

Masks slow the spreading the virus. It doesn’t stop it. They catch the water droplets/vapor the virus rides on, as well as limit the distance of exhales and serve as a reminder to keep some distance. You already stated you barely had any symptoms, and it takes 3-7 days before symptoms even show up, how many people did you come in contact with and contracted it from you before you even knew you had it? When did this happen? Most likely at the store or in a public place. It helps. It is actually quite obvious if you think about it.

The problem is it wasn’t just mandated to wear a mask right from the get go. And the fact people are too hung up on their appearance to want to wear one.

IF we had universal healthcare and you had to pay for all the damage through taxes, I truly believe 90% of the people complaining about masks would be on the street corner passing them out.

2 Likes

Reading the above remarks and having a hard time to find the right words…

Wrap our heads around this:
We still don’t have a “vaccine” available
Covid 19 is contagious
The mortality rate is 40 times higher then normal flue
If we run out of hospital capacity then what ?
We can apply common sense measurements to slow down and even contain the spread…

Why sometimes a lockdown is needed ?
Coz some people refuse to believe the above… and now the cost going to be much larger than the burden of common sense…

stay safe ya all…

7 Likes

I think it is beyond containment. I think it is merely just trying to keep the hospitals from being overcrowded and causing unnecessary deaths.

It also mutates extremely quickly which is going to be an issue. even if we have a working vaccine, there is no guarantee it will work against a mutation, and it may also throw any concept of herd immunity. Get it once and done? quite possibly no.

It would be nice if we could contain it, but we had to act fast and do it immediately like we did with Ebola.

3 Likes

5 Likes

It is the odds. There is one major outbreak about every 2 years. The chances of facing 1 in a 4 year span is about 100%.

2 Likes

Why havent we seen numbers of h1n1 or pneumonia this year…h1n1 killed 4 million people last four years now zero??

4 Likes

It isn’t zero. The numbers are out there. But because everyone is talking about Covid, the seasonal flu numbers get buried. Off the top of my head it is around 40k from seasonal flu in the US.

3 Likes

I’m trying to find the statistics for the forty times higher mortality rate. Are people really aware of how many deaths we get from seasonal flu each year? Year after year? I seldom go anywhere but if I do I wear the damned mask because it’s a huge hassle and big fine for non-compliance but I have had no issues with wearing it below my nostrils so I don’t have to re-breath my own CO-2 constantly. Just having it on gets you in to the store or wherever. Your mask is catching drool and snot. Nothing else. You are not saving anyone or yourself by wearing one. You are just being trained.

2 Likes

Tom,
Just check on the top of this topic, there are links you can follow…
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm

seasonal flu ? there are vacines…
Covid 19 ? there is none…
Is it a respiratory transmissible disease ? Guess what, masks work… period

162.000 us citizens died of covid 19 related problems, on 5 million infected and counting ( in less then 5 months )
Normal flu, 50.000 on an infection rate of 60,000,000 people

Have some respect for others… wear a mask and use common sense, i beg you as a human being…

Over here, Thailand, everybody wear masks, use hand sanitizer, keep social distance, have contact tracing in place, have mandatory quarantine.
Low numbers and ease on restrictions already.
Don’t let your guard down, keep your mask up…

4 Likes