Life goes on - Summer 2015

a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do.

That’s great !!! Now if I could just get the air out of my studebaker brake system I could drive it back up here. It is still running fine but I like to have brakes … They don’t leak but I pulled a wheel a few months ago and it must have bleed out there so it’s a 10 pumper … I started it an hour ago … Nothing like a Studebaker V8 …, (1961) … Mike vrooom vrooom …

2 Likes

Mike, there is a trick that I use for forklifts and motorcycles. There always seems to be air trapped somewhere in the line. Only a pressure bleeder can give it a continuous push. As an alternative, take a small squeeze bottle with a tapered outlet nozzle completely full of brake fluid. Put on a short piece of hose that will fit snug on the bleeder fitting. Attach it to the bleeder, open the bleeder, squeeze it real good, upside-down. This is the absolutte best way to get the air out of all the high spots and traps. This also works very well for hydraulic clutch cyclinders that are generally a nightmare.

2 Likes

Driving a gasifier has been compared to flying a helicopter. You might want to learn to fly it BEFORE you take off.

1 Like

Any parts left to make a chunker? :fearful:

Jeff

It’s not about learning to fly, it’s about learning how to LAND!

Mmmmm.
Fresh made new season ripe Pacific NW strawberry sorbet.

All Mine.
Eat your hearts out.
Steve Unruh

5 Likes

Just finished treating my spare tire and surrounding area, lots of rust. A lot of scraping, drilling, and brushing. About 3-4 cans of rust treatment and 4-5 cans of undercoating. Finnaly done! :relaxed:

1 Like

Excellent price on an excellent welder, anyone in Maine…

https://maine.craigslist.org/for/5043910658.html

Hello Chris
Got a question for you,do you ever use both pusher blowers at the same time or suction and pusher?
Thanks Calvin…

Yes and yes. Effect of pusher + reverse blower is a massive flame out the hopper lid, or extra drying action when blowing back and forth starting on bad / wet wood. I’ll probably do this at Argos to make a big tall hopper flame. Not 100% needed, but nice to have.

Suction and pusher will make the gasifier start faster, like having a locomotive in front and back of a train. Again just a nice to have, you can get by without.

You’ll never run suction and reverse together, they would just be fighting each other.

2 Likes

Calvin, I took this video last year of what Chris is talking about. Reverse and pusher at the same time.

4 Likes

HI all flamers,will it do that with full hopper or just when low on dry wood,with vac and push fans on.THAT WILL MAKE NICE ARGOS NIGHT LIGHT.

That’s the key. Wet wood will make too much steam.

Thanks for the clareity,what don mans said, is correct,pusher fans and reverse fans,its a bit confuseing for a non gasser,with no ashfault time, must have had some good reverse fans running, Thanks

Does that mean if one were forced to use some wet wood, one could ‘quick dry’ a bit while in the hopper?

It’s not quick, but yes that’s the idea. You’re wasting a ton of energy doing so. Much much better to have dry wood to start with.

2 Likes

Hi Bill, It was awesome talking to you last year/flaring your mini.
When I have green wood, I like to throw it in at shut down. The heat soak drys it nicely and it doesn’t waste any energy. Works for about half a hopper’s worth and it takes a bit more than an hour.

4 Likes

Thanks Terry, that makes sense.
I was sure hoping to see you and your truck this year. I have a lot better understanding of wood gas this year than I did last year this time. I was hoping for a closer look at your hopper lid. I’m sure glad to see you still check in here.

Bill, Any questions you might have about my lid, just ask.

3 Likes