Life goes on - Summer 2015

May pops … That’s like spring potatoes … I have hopper almost to the nozzles now … I need to inspect them before next drive . Jeff Davis gave me a nice camera so I should be able to post an inspection video for you video adicts … Mike … Getting hot here … I have a kidney stone stuck in my pecker this morning … Hope my kidneys pass enough liquid instead of sweat to pass it through … Off to work … Mike

Wow! @Calvin_rader just sent me the service manual for a square baler gearbox. Rare and hard to get info… Thanks Calvin!

I’ve posted it as a PDF here. Library / Gearbox | Drive On Wood!

6 Likes

Haven’t had much time to play around with my stainless steel pot Simple Fire, but we’ve had lots of grass to cut, and harvesting to do.

Here are some Methley plums and Brazos blackberries:

Here are some Kennebec white potatoes. We got about a 3:1 yield this year which is about average for Kennebecs:

Our early Florida King peaches didn’t do well at all due to the late freeze in March. The later varieties ripen in July, but are pretty sparse at this point.

6 Likes

Thanks Chris, this will benefit all of us who have these. Al

Once again Mike, way to much information!

7 Likes

Hey Hank, You should look at the faces of folks when you pull up in front of a courthouse and leave your truck smoking … OK, TMI … I have plasma coming out of the backs of hands from last saturday … Bladder stone broke apart from the trip as well … That’s fun … I’m going to BBQ some hot dogs next and replace materials lost … I got harrassed on the job today by some biach … I’m scraping out my old woodgas S-10 … I took the tow hooks off then and put them on my black truck … It never had any that truck … Stay well, TMI, Mike LaRosa
too bad the gummit wiped out all my websites or I’d send links …

Sorry Andy, I called you hank … Please forgive me … Must have to do with the handy part … Sorry, Mike

Taring up my tire :relaxed:

8 Likes

What is this?

1 Like

Hello Mr. Don.

Vacuum pump .

Instead of beating a tire off the rim it is much easier to suck off the rim :relaxed:

9 Likes

Oh… I thought you tarred the inside of the tire, not the rim. Are you just trying to seat it?

Hello Sean .

The tar will seal any leaks in the tire .

To seat the tire if it wants to be stubborn I use my cutting torch . Don’t need to add much oxygen !!!

That is brilliant. I must tell our maintenance man. Tractors, loaders, semi’s, Oh my!

2 Likes

I spent 20 years designing / and tire production and I NEVER heard of anyone “sucking” a tire off the rim Dam, I like this good 'oboy approach. TomC

3 Likes

It’s true, you learn something new every day. Now I don’t have to learn anything until tomorrow.

4 Likes

Well I’ll be darned. I’ve often thought of that and wondered if it would work, but never actually got around to try it.

vacuum pumps don’t grow on trees … I just use an old refrigeration compressor for my vacuum pump … They are everywhere … M
I used to recover 12 gas from old cars … The pump that Wayne has there is a nice one but I could never afford one :o) …

Sawmilling butt cut logs makes a LOT of slabs which is chunked into motor fuel so we can SWEM

10 Likes

What type of tree is this, it is a nice big log. Turning those will make Tally one tough boy!!

My cant hook don’t have a handle that long either. Automation is great, but sometimes it’s hard to beat a man, with the right tool, and a strong back!

1 Like