Life goes on - Summer 2015

How much tooling came with it? You can easily spend a lot more than $100 on just that. Quick change tool holder? Oh heck pics please

1 Like

Yep, what Al said, piston ring expander. I think I’ve got one of those and I know my dad has at least one of them.

1 Like

Hello Don
Your getting into something that is addictive as wood gas. after you get the hang of it you will just be waiting for something to break. Its fun turning out new parts. ps Look up Tubalcain machine shop projects. You tube

2 Likes

You do know there is a law against stealing, don’t you. Next I suppose you will be stealing a vertical end mill TomC

1 Like

You can do much more with that 4 jaw… :grinning:

3 Likes

You guys crack me up … Nice seeing you Tom in Argos when I was “sick” with lyme. You were in better shape than me … I figure to hook up my old trailer to the truck this weekend … I bought a (small german made) cadillac last week but it needs a radiator … I drove it to a neighbor’s a few hours ago and he messed with the key and now it dings dings dings … Do I need security … I will listen and pull out the dinger this weekend … I’ve only had it up to 100 so far and it has plenty to go but the speedo only goes to 140 … Like I said, You guys crack me up … REGARDS, Mike

1 Like

Hey Don, at work we use the 3 jaw mostly, but interchange it to a 4 jaw in about 5 minutes. A magazine called “Home Shop Machinist” for hobbyist has lots of leads for your machine. Go to the River Town mall in Grandville, second floor, Barnes and Noble store. An old school way to check it out.
Holland doesn’t have it.

2 Likes

Just wanted to “ditto” Jim’s comment about " Tubalcain machine shop" videos, great stuff presented in a great way from a likeable man, he is a retired shop treacher with lots of knowledge to share about all kinds of Machine Shop tools! Lots of info about the Atlas lathe, casting your own parts and lots of stuff to numerous to mention! Herb H

4 Likes

Love those Tubalcain videos, very interesting and informative.
Pepe

Hi Pepe
He is a very good teacher, I have learned a lot from his videos.

1 Like

Look for a copy of Machinery’s Handbook. Lot of info that can help you out and pretty cheap if you look for an old copy. Under $20 or so.

1 Like

Ok guys this is going to be another SteveU “anti-elctronics” Rant.
So bothered - read away. Read and Learn; maybe. Or, at least be entertained.

Summer of 2015 critical problem: my traveling nurse wife’s 2007 Hyundia airconditioning quits intermitnetly, more and more. This problem began late last cooler summer. This spring and now summer have been very hot and dry.
Her system is an electronic Automatic Temperature Controlled system. Means; one-button set and forget - let the computor control all. Adds in a dash sun-load sensor; adds an in-dash air sampler sucker motor with an interior air temp sensor AND an interior humidity sensor; adds a front of grill ambient (outside air) temp sensor; upgrades the in-line refrigernt pressure switch from a two-way to a three-way; adds in a now digital streaming evaperator temp sensor versus simple analog type, and now an added in heater core temperature sensor (heven forbid blowing cold air first thing in the morning) Oh . . and fancy, fancy: adds in an outside air quality multi-sensor pac capable of sensing CO, diesel exhuast componets and such pee-loot-ants.
So just in case I’ve lost you: a manual AC would have had one evaparator tepm sensor and a refrigerent pressure cycling swtich. Just had a four speed blower fan resistor block versus an eight speed %ramping fan speed electronic controller.
ATC has eight sensors, an added wil wear-out motor, a more complex 1/3rd more likly to malfunction pressure-cycling switch.
As a Master Auto Tech, AC systems diagnosis/repair was a summer bread and butter, make money, work. I did have wifie back in 2007 buy a paper/book factory sevice manual set. And I’ve worked on ATC type systems since the early 90’s.
I pressure guaged the temperature adjusted refrigernt pressures as OK, WHEN the system will work.
The ATC modual noiw obstently has refuesd to go into self-dianosis. This has worked fine in all the years past that I’ve asked it. Worked for a mode door actutor diagnosis, and DIY repair. Even worked for a fan blower motor diagnosis, and DIY repair. Saved her $$$ in diagnosis and repairs

When it quits cooling it is because the AC compressor magnetic-clutch is being Commanded, de-energized. Clutch relay manaul jumper by-passing will engize it. And it will pump refrigenrt and cool just fine as long as I manally by-pass forced it to work. Relay socket tests verifies all circuts, proper amp loadings. Relay is being commanded off.
Wifie wants to make this vehicle last to 10 years. Impatient now with brain-dieing hubbies lack of fix.
Dealer-time.
And they jumped in and replaced the AC clutch and pump with a remanufactured; $684.32.
We weather cooled down and thier repair s-e-e-m-e-d to work. Weather warmed back up. Now the same intermitnet quitting cooling problem.
Ha! Ha! At least since they dianostic scanned it, I can now get it to manaully button push go into self-dianostic mode. AND with thier refrigerent evecuation, system vacumning and metered refrigerant recharging now I’m reasonable certian on the proper weight of refirgerent charge and no internal “iceing” flow blockages at the expansion valve.
It says; that all self-test OK and that “there is no problem”, man. Yet still commands the system off on hot days after ~one hour of system heat loading. Yep. Right in the middle of Urban traffic cycles.
Wifie has called the dealer and they accept that they have failed to “Fix-It-Right-The-First-Time”. This is an actually industry graded critieria hammered onto the Techs and Service people. They are tring to get her back in. I’ve advised her to waiting for a really HOT, system heat loading day.
Consumer Reports user reviews shows that 2005-09 Hyundia Tucson with both manual and ATC AC systems have a high rate of failures/needed repairs complaints. Model change 2010 and on and then the AC systems were good - very few complaints.
Why? Why?
Unser-net groups show one dealer, one time, advising one Tueson ownner NOT to junk collect overload her glove box to stop having repeated return back AC system failures. Hmmm.
Just where IS that interior air recirculation suck-in port? Flashlight. Open the glovebox. Toggle the ‘Recirc’ button manually.
Yep. Yep. Two huge air door openings up high on the heater box just at the level of the closed glove box rear bin edge.
Sure 'nuff. My wife IS a glove box stuffer!! Bound to have sucked in loose cards, paper bits, and keenex, and soda straw covers and such.
Also Hubbie Steve is a once clogged, take-it-out, and-not-replace, cabin air fliter Remover. I installed these for pay for others. In our temperate rain forest climate area these need to be expensively replaced at least 2-4 times a year for wet-air/pollens black, green and brown molds growths making make stinky car air.

So . . . dollar to a dougnut she has a partially paper bits air flow partially blocked her evaporator core. The evap temp sensor in conjunction to the three-way refrigerent pressure sensor is signally the electronic controller parameters for a system shut down. Once it cycles a couple of three forced sut-downs, then it is going into a time factor lock-out. F###YouVeryMuch.
Dealer Tech will most likely never find the problem except like me on a patterens-problem, repeat, database search.
I’ll try and block the wifie from anymore of thier throw-parts-at-it repair attemps.
And while she is from a long work night sleeping in, I’ll try and soft hose weasel-in and vacumn off her evaporator core.

So who is to blame? Owners who will overload thier glove boxes? Owners who will remove their “never had before” “Don’t need this stinkin’ air-dyper” cabin air-filters refusing to buy into the new germ-a-phobic, $‘s holes in your pockets Fears-culture?
NO. The make it better friggin’ design change HVAC systems Engineer!!!

Really PO’ed now 'cause for the second time in my life I’ve just another vehicle (the mini-van) with an electronic charge light that will key switch function check just fine, but NOT go On to indicate a simple milage worn out altenator brush set! Stupid, stupid design electronics engineer!
IF I’d had a dash voltmeter ot amp guage I’d been able to monitor! No-o-o-o. I’m not to be trusted.
Mini-van still kept starting, running, and driving untill it would only “click- click” not recrank to start.
Right down to a checked external voltmeter 8.5 battery volts. Now that ignition system, and fuel injection system had very good design engineering teams.
Was electriccally controlled shifting hash, worse and worse - had me trans worrying failure, getting ready to parkretire this van. Fresh battery charge and the tranny works just fine again.

Simple manual systems are like playing a simplified (no-jokers), one deck, card games like Go-Fish.
Add in electronics for control and you genius’s then make users play all-wild, two and three cards decks level of possibilities problem solving games.
I was paid to play these too overly complicated games sucesessfully for many years. Even with a very high IQ it just gets exhuasting.

Woodgas I wanted to keep just go-fish, manual, simple.
I have had to now by-pass, to go manual on three completely differnt woodgas electronically control systems now just to prove to thier owners that the basic system were use-able, workable.
Wastes time; wastes human energy; and wastes woodenergy hopes playing electronics all-posibilties-wild, let’s dumb down the human to just be a one button pusher games.

Vietnam’ism’s:
Our side - “Put a ni#### (meaning a warm, live, thinking human) behind the trigger if you want to really get things done!”
Thier side - “American Tech? Piss on it!” Literally.
You new-age Tech designers be sure and make your tech creations piss-proof. And wear a full face riot helmet for the angery owner/user nose punches from your arrogant, over-IQ, Ooop’sies.
Bank on not being forgiven for a next try-it-again time.
You have insulted the actual users. You have degraded him/her down to be a simple button pushing monkey. Called, and treated him/her as a stoop-id ni##er.

Regards
Steve Unruh

7 Likes

Steve…Dude! Like your Style…Amen!

1 Like

Hi Steve, I think it’s time for a phone call … It’s only 8 your time … You should see the UFO I bought … Will hopefully let me put a new radiator in it this weekend … It will need new spark plugs too … The drivers side coil pack has some crap over it … I’m still plugging away … Regards, Mike

Remember now MikeL . . . in the end . . . “we are all just Dust blowing in the Wind”
no matter where our # 1 cylinder is
or what our fireing order was
S.U.

2 Likes

It’s that time of year the Grizzlies feed on Salmon.

1 Like

Hello Calvin .

Great job with the interview !!

We all are proud of you !!

11 Likes

Great job Cal. That view on the video of that road ahead straight as a die with green grass on each side reminded me of an airport runway. I was almost expecting that truck to take off!

4 Likes

Very well done Calvin. Beautiful country up there. I saw a chunker there too. You are rolling.

3 Likes

Hello Wayne ,Don & Carl.
Thank you for the very kind words.there was two interviews another with CTV Regina , see if can catch that one.
Thanks Calvin…