Life goes on - Summer 2016

Hey, its another day. I learned to run brake lines today. I’m fixing up and selling my brother’s rusty old Civic. I’ve done brakes, battery, IAC, power steering, body dents, door linkage, and now brake lines. Now all it needs is an exhaust… I get 50% of the sale as a commision, he pays parts I add the labor. Only way I would touch this junk pile.

One thing I will say. Give me a worn out engine instead of a rusty frame any day!! Rust is not fun.

10 Likes

Say that again. I’m not sure Mike LaRossa heard that!!

5 Likes

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Miscellaneous/Ammo-Boxes-Cases/120-MM-MORTAR-SHELL-AMMO-BOX-1-3324.axd

I’m one step closer to building a small charcoal gasifier. Do you think this might work? It is .050" thick steel wall.

2 Likes

5-1/2" wide means that there is only 2-3/4" from the nozzle center to the metal side. That ain’t much unless you plan on using that for a hopper and then drop a thicker and wider burner tube below like Koen does.
My lawn tractor has a 9-1/2 wide hopper that I put firebrick shields by the nozzle and that still gets hot to the touch.
I had mine running this afternoon 2 minutes after light up and that still amazes me!

3 Likes

See if you cant find an old SS milk jug. Here is one for example its pretty cool and even has a nice lid with hinge and latch.

2 Likes

15 posts were split to a new topic: Trailer project

Good morning all.

I am a little slow getting out of the house this morning , temps down in the 50s and too cold for us old southern folks.

I will be hooking a trailer to the V-10 for some hauling this morning ( has good heater ) . Also wood is drying fast and will need bagging . The wood pile keeps getting bigger even with quite a lot of driving . Last night I noticed 350 miles on the dakota tripometer . I think it was last weekend that I zeroed it .

Trucks are running great :relaxed: BBB

5 Likes

Notice the 47 degrees F in the corner. :wink:

6 Likes

-11 Celsius this morning and a dusting of snow… Glorious. Picture of the wood prep area for the maple syrup boiler with the frozen pond in the background

5 Likes

It gives me hope to post in ‘Summer 2016’ thread.
I’ve been making kindling to start my wood stove this winter. Last week I stumbled across bags of wood I chunked up to test my chunker. It was like getting hit in the forehead with a can of V8. I’m glad I bagged these up now. I briefly hit it with a propane torch from under the grate and my heat is back on.
It will be back into the 30’s this week. 1-3" of snow expected today. I should be able to resume making syrup on Tuesday.

9 Likes

It’s up close to 80 f here in SoCal. We’re close to water ski weather. I found an abpandoned RV trailer, about 30 ft. long. It is a Zieman so, it is good construction. I made a big tube grill that is bolted to the chassis rails. I wanted to haul my Farmall 560 up to oregon so, I added a third axle for a total of 2 with electric brakes. I made a mistake on balance and hauled the tractor through all those mountains with NO tongue weight. Later, I hauled it from Bend, Or, over the Cascades and out to Myrtle Point, Or. I have a total of 3 trailers that started life as RVs.

4 Likes

This morning the V-10 took a quick dump and right on into the garden spot with it. I know I should put the char in a compost first but sometime there is not enough hours in a day :confused:

Hauled in some long lumber with the V-10 .

Short video of me working on the HoneyDo list this afternoon.

SWEM :blush:

12 Likes

Hm…what’s that green stuff hanging from the trees?

2 Likes

Not sure! I seem to have a very vague memory of some kind of green stuff on our trees a long long time ago.

4 Likes

Good morning Andy and JO .

The green stuff hanging from the trees are solar collectors making motor fuel :blush:

17 Likes

The rain bow from last week is missing my beginners wood pile:smile :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

Good morning all.

I have been out working the V-10 this morning while lawn mowers are doing their thing at home . ( turning grass clipping into $ ) :blush:

Also a couple of ridding lawn mowers .

12 Likes

Wayne: “Four-Leg Drive Lawnmowers”.

4 Likes

Besides “wood burners” I see a couple of “hay burners”.TomC

3 Likes

Trying to talk my bro too drive us out too argoes, for an over night,tent camp any way. his truck is better condition.

3 Likes