Life goes on - Summer 2016

Are you flying that??? or maybe hanging on fro dear life… We have a small airport down the road a mile. Being it is small no radio or anything is needed to fly in and out. A couple of friend have “power parachutes” with a two person frame under them. They are always asking me to go up. I have to tell them I have worked too hard to get to be this old. I don’t want to ruin it now. It does look like great fun. They come over my place and fly about 10 feet off the ground all the way down my hay field then pull up just to miss the silo. A great way to take pictures of the area and I really loved it. I think as I closed out youtube I saw you may have a couple more that I have got to look back on. Thanks. That was fun.

2 Likes

Brian,
No more than 15 min in the winter or your fingers will freeze, no matter what kind of gloves you wear :frowning: It´s only a 80cc 15hp two stroke, but i moves a lot of air. Summer evenings are preferable :smile:

Tom,
I got the license in 2008 as a 40s birthday gift to myself. It´s only a 10 flights a year requierment to keep it.
I live outside controlled airspace and I have the field next to my porch - it´s perfect.
There are trikes to go with paragliders. Age is no reason not to try :wink:

5 Likes

Hey Wayne, I did that kind of driving in Washington State last fall. But here in Michigan we can chase the crow as the crow flies. :grin:

2 Likes

HEALTH PROBLEM UNDERSTANDING BREAKTHROUGH! \o/

I was just reading an article about “7 Things Not To Put In Your Compost Pile”. Most is pretty common sense as far as composting is concerned, but we’re not talking about compost.

Under dryer lint, it said: “…the fact that the most popular dryer sheets, fabric softeners, and detergents contain toxic synthetic fragrance chemicals called phthalates.”

I could never figure out what the common theme between those thousands of chemical components known as “fragrances” was until now. I’m also allergic to latex, and the trigger component of latex are phthalates. Duh!

1 Like

JO I’ve watched all 7 video. You make it look like fun----bbuuuuttt!. I know you start that with a pull rope. Can you pull the rope when it is on your back or even more so, when you are in the air and if the engine dies. I thought the elevation was controlled by engine speed. The faster the engine pushes your body out ahead of the parachute and it climbs and the reverse when you slow the engine. But just before you touch down, you are gliding and yet you very quickly slow down to a run avoiding a crash In a small plane that point would be a controlled “stall”. In the air is there any possibility of a “stall” or the chute to fold back on itself and loose the pocket of air?? See why I don’t fly. I over think everything. But it was fun to watch. I think I even saw your “red” shop TomC

2 Likes

Tom, I guess I could reach the pull rope when in the air, but I’ve never tried to. The only engine outs I’ve had has been on low altitude and then you don’t have the time. Your focus is finding flat ground and turning into the wind before touchdown.

Correct.

If you look closely you see I pull the handles only 5 feet from the ground. The handles are connected to the rear of the chute (flaps). This will increase the angle of attack and slow me down. If I do that to early the chute will stall - not good. (In this landing clip I had a good head wind wich slowed me down even more)

It seems to me you have a good understanding of the basics. I think you are ready for a first try :wink:

7 Likes

Midnight midsummer midSweden

16 Likes

I see you get to enjoy the sky there just like we do here. I lived in LA for many years and there because of the smog, you seldom see big puffy clouds and never blue sky. This is one of the perks of putting up with winters. TomC

4 Likes

Checking in after a big hiatus. Spring and summer season has got me kind of busy. Im at work longer, kids have sporting events and an endless amount of chores to include a very fast growing weed farm (lawn) has left me with little time to do what i want to do (cut, weld, build etc.). My sons little league baseball team is winning and that has us all feeling very proud and thankful for such a good summer.

7 Likes

RIP Dr. Ralph Stanley. You will be missed.

5 Likes

One of the great preachers from a sorta bygone era

EDIT: My mistake, I get him mixed up with Charles Stanley. :confused:

Carl, Oh he could preach it in a music from. Lots of great messages from his music. And Charles Stanley a Great Man of God for sure.
Bob

A week after the storm and a calm day timber is still coming down .

5 Likes

It’s a shame you have to work it all at once, but there is no bigger mess than downed trees, tops, limbs, and logs after a storm!:persevere:

3 Likes

It has been about 15 years that used this machine and about 8-10 years that it has been started .

Today I rounded up a couple of hot batterys and tried to start it . I couldn’t hardly believe it but it fired up like it had been used last week :relaxed:

It may take a week to get the winch working properly :confused:

This old Tree Farmer makes big trees seem a little smaller .

11 Likes

That will be a big help. Watch out for algae/goo in the fuel tank after that many years.

4 Likes

Take good care of that young lady…! For the winch it sometimes helps to hook the cable to a tree, release the brake, drive forward and then winch your self back. Repeat as needed. Of course you could have hydraulic problems.

I’ve been pulling out blow downs today in 92° heat, with the skid steer… Felt good in an odd way…

2 Likes

I’m a wee bit jealous of that hunk of iron. It could make wood harvest a whole lot easier.

3 Likes

Hello Wane
We put several thousand hours on a old c5 just like that, the old 353 is a good motor with a lot of pulling power as long as you keep peddle to the metal. the winch will most likely give you some trouble after sitting that long.
It have the 4 speed or 5 speed.----stick or steering wheel. I had one of each in the past 30 years.

2 Likes

Hello Jim .

I am sure I will have trouble with the winch . Back when I was using it regular if I let it set 3-4 days I would have go through the routine as Jeff mention to free it up.

This one is a 4 speed X 2 and has the stick for steering .

This one is not a screamer , it has a inline 5 cylinder

2 Likes