Life goes on - Summer 2016

Thanks Wayne
That’s a new one on me, lots of tree farmers in this territory all with 353s.

2 Likes

Hey Jim

It is Deutz

http://www.minelinks.com/tools/engines.html

2 Likes

Is Deutz the only ones using an air cooled diesel? Farmer I worked for decades ago had one and never seen any other.

2 Likes

Wayne
Is that the original motor that came out in the skidder.
Some from here go south skidder shopping but never did see any body come back with a air cooled skidder. This kind of weather its hard to keep a water cooled skidder below 212* pulling trees up these long hills.

2 Likes

Good morning Jim .

Yes , the motor is factory .

I have never had a problem with overheating but it may be like operating the gasifier or plowing a mule . Knowing when to back out or say whoa can be important .

On this link some loggers are talking about the Deutz and they claim they have had no problem with over heating .

Most of the logging going on around me are done with BIG caterpillars and makes my old skidder look like a toy.

2 Likes

We have a Deutz torpedo tractor alsow air cooled and l must say its my favorite tractor of all ( we allsow have a Styer and two Zetors). lt shifts gears soo smoth eaven thugh its over 30 years old and it has so much hours on it that the hour meter is nearing its max. Runs every day from the day my father in law bought it brand new. The engine hasn been touched yet and it never burned a liter of diesel, it runs on pumpkin oil (heatig oil fof the cops, hope they dont read this :grinning: )
never had a problem with overheating. Those things are tugh.

6 Likes

Hey Jim . You can say that again !!

The brake lining was froze to the winch drum and came lose from the brake band.

The anchor pin for the brake band was froze to the housing and the band. It took me about a day and a half to get the pin out but I had to get real ugly with it .

The pin was threaded for 3/8 bolt to act as a puller but the bolts would break right quick . I was able to weld a 5/8 bolt to the pin ( real tight area and over the fuel tank ) and make another puller. With a big pull handle and extension pipe I broke the bolt.

I welded about an inch bar to the pin and put my 300 pound youngon pulling with a 5 foot pipe. With enough heating and quenching we got the pin to turn lose from the housing but no luck with it freeing from the brake band.

Last resort was to cut the brake band but to be very careful not to scar the pin ( shaft ) . Any scaring and the pin would not have come through the housing .

Yes it took a while but got it .:grin:

7 Likes

Hey Wayne. It looks like you run into a big job with that. I have had them to stick but not like that.
Looks like the inside shoes are useable if you can get them sanded down and slicked up enough. how about the hub will it shine up. if it is pitted it will most likely grab and wont stop pulling when the handle is released. I have had them to lock in and pull until the cable breaks. The only way to stop it is to hit the clutch.
Be a good time to free up the screw for the spool drag, they can get real stuck and the spring will be all rusted to.

1 Like

Wayne,

Knocked my upper right front tooth kleen out of my mouth when a four foot cheater pipe slipped off of a restoration project much like your skidder winch. I have always found that winning the battle with the impossible usually comes with an equal and opposite price for success. That day it happened to be my tooth!! Be extra careful and good luck getting the old skidder back into the woods, I know you will…

Bryan

1 Like

Hello Jim Goes .

The pictures below show a live hydraulic swivel .

Do you have any leads where they can be bought or better still any tips on stopping them from leaking?

2 Likes

Hello Wayne
I successfully fix one and totally failed on one.
It has left hand threads were it screws on to the hub if you can get lose there is a little snap ring on the end, ever thing comes out the end. Yours looks rusty about like the one I failed on…Just no way to get it apart.
As for a place to buy one. I found one at ‘’ Ozark machinery’’ in WestPlains mo. About any place that sales parts for Tree Farmer or Timber Jack should be able to get one. There’s a used equipment place in Wolf Lake Ill. that sales used and new parts, and a place in Tennessee called LMI that I got parts from. I don’t know the address or phone number but I can round them up if you need them.
PS—I think it cost about $100.oo.

2 Likes

Wayne,

I’m only fluent on John Deer winches. Rebuilt the one on my JD440. Wish I could be of help on this…

Bryan

1 Like

Hello Wayne
It has been a long time since I had those apart , I believe you take the 4 Allen head screws out and then the plate & swivel come of as a unit , then take the snap ring of and pull the swivel out & then replace the seal.
Polish up the seal surface if not worn to bad.
I may be wrong but…
Calvin…

4 Likes

Thanks Jim, Bryan and Calvin.

Early this morning I took the live swivel apart and gave it a good cleaning and put it back on the machine . Seems to be working OK but with a small leak.

I bought this swivel 16-18 years ago for something near $150 :confounded:

I think I will give it a try .
It will have to leak a lot of brake fluid to justify me buying another !!

Thanks again all .

5 Likes

Hello Wayne
That’s good it did come apart.
If the bearings are rough they are the same bearings that fit in roller blades and some skate boards that kids play on.

The name of the place in wolf lake ill. is Schaefer Enterprisses of Wolf lake, Inc. 1-800-626-6046
They have relined brake bands and cheaper than I could find any were Ellis.
They ship the same day ordered.

2 Likes

Thanks Mr. Jim .

I am having my brake band relined , Should be ready today :blush:

2 Likes

Good deal, looks like your on the road to dragging some trees.
The only problem with the swivel leaking is the handle will bleed down when winching.

2 Likes

Hey Mr. Jim

After resorting to the fire wrench to remove this band I never thought it would ever look normal again :relaxed:

4 Likes

I made a red neck wading pool for the weekend. Kids, company, and critters. Everyone have a safe and fun 4th.

11 Likes

Hi Wayne
That looks like some body did a good job to make it look like that.
Did you put the new end on or the place that relined it.
I tried to get a john deere winch band relined and I couldn’t, there excuse was that the band was spring loaded and over time it would loose its spring and wasn’t worth relining. Sounded like a good line bull to me, I think the dealer was wonting to sale me a new one.

2 Likes