Life goes on - Summer 2016

Ugh! fixing fence. Ugh! My most clear memories of childhood. Springtime was a given.

2 Likes

Wonderful views!!!

4 Likes

Fixing fence and flood gates over the creeks is how I remember it too. Build it back for the next gully washer…man now those were the days.

I wish I could have enjoyed it more as a young man, seemed lIke a lot of wor at the time, I didn’t know I didn’t know…my goal to reutn to this when I retire! I hope I’m fit enough for the challenges cattle bring…

Stater

2 Likes

Wayne, Looks like you had a nasty barbers chair with that rotted tree stump, Be Careful out there!

2 Likes

Yep, yep.
Been out fences fixing too. Too much.
Cool Spring here the ground is too soft and posts set will loosen too much with the Summer drying out.
Even Spring wires pulling loosens, slacks, sags, later.
HOT, dry summer is when the fencing gets done here. Right after the drought-die has slowed down the mowing and weed-whacking needs.
Competes time and energy-wise with gardening weeding, firewood making and porch napping.
Regards
Steve Unruh

3 Likes

Watch out for cattle theifs, i heard that was a comon problem in the south land.

1 Like

Seaded buchwheat for the first time this year after potato harvest. Man it grows fast! 4 days in the soil.

Harvested garlic today. Its an old variety, an old lady gave a few heds to me last year. Very aromatic! Most will go back in the soil.

8 Likes

Nice garlic. Do you know What the variety is called? We have one that is supposed to be an older northern variety as well. It looks different though; without the pink tinge.

3 Likes

No idea. The woman that gave it to me sayd its in the family for as long as she remembers. Its nice to peal as well becouse all the cloves are the same size, looks like yours is too. Nice heads as well!

Is this winter garlic?

4 Likes

Depends on what you mean. We will plant in early september in a new bed. Well composted and fertilized. They will put out 6 inch stalks before frost then we will heavy mulch them for winter. They will be harvested next august. Ours came from a 2nd generation farmer with German parents near here who has been replanting for 40 years…

3 Likes

Hey nice garlic guys. I just harvested some today. It is very small compared to yours. I planted mine this spring from organic garlic purchased in the supermarket. I will replant next month and see what I get next fall . I may also try to find some larger seed stock.

2 Likes

Yes this is what l ment. Althugh l like your way very much! We plant it in october and the stalks barely push the grownd before frost. You give it a big headstart!

4 Likes

Jim, Heather is the master gardener I’m just the mule… around here we always plant bulbs in the fall. Spring comes too late to get good sized garlic by fall. We have some we planted In the spring so they didn’t rot and they are 1/4 the size. You do risk winter kill though…

3 Likes

Same story here. Planted some in the spring, its like baby garlic now.

Has anyone ever planted garlic from seed? I have a lot of it and will try that this year.

2 Likes

Kristijan, this was the first I have ever planted garlic but I did save the seed to try.

2 Likes

Jim usually when the garlic puts out its scape you cut it off (and eat it yummy!) So it does not put energy into flowering and seed… That can affect bulb size as well.

3 Likes

I have planted garlic in the spring. The garlic doesn’t bulb out, but I get some good size round garlic balls. However, I generally plant my garlic in the fall so that the following spring it starts regrowing and forms large bulbs by fall harvest time. I harvest after the tops die back. Never covered it for the winter and never lost it to freezing here in zone 4.

4 Likes

it has 4 foot of snow on top that helps.:grinning:

5 Likes

Thanks for the tip David, makes sense tome. I’m kinda new to gardening, about 5 years now. Never started reading till last couple, been working on building soil and trying new crops. working on laying out a solarium on the house today, going to try a winter garden for he first time. going to put the gennys in there to save the heat and use the flue of a gas water heater to heat water to heat beds. Now that LED lights have become affordable adding some light morning and night won’t hurt either. My off grid experiment this summer has been a fun and rewarding project. Not cheep in terms of money or time but the feeling of self sufficiency is unbeatable. Still a long ways to go and much to learn but getting closer every day. I want to thank you all for all I have learned from you all here at DOW.

9 Likes

Your comment about the old cows knowing where the fences used to be had me chuckling for a week. I can relate to that.
gordon

2 Likes