Life goes on - Summer 2016

Are those 1000 lb bales or heavier?
Anyway its quite a load and gets the point across that wood will work HARD

2 Likes

Wayne, thanks for showing me how tension a rope with a lever like a fence. I used this today to draw an axle into place to weld on a hand dolly. I tied a trucker’s knot and twisted it with a crowbar. It works great.

3 Likes

Hello Mr. Tom .

I’m not sure what the rolls would weigh but I think near a 1000 pounds and seem to get a little heavier each year.

I roll the hay a little lose on each end so that the weight density profile would look something like an egg or a football. By doing so it is possible to flip the hay off the trailer at the barn, if on a little slope. Some of them I can’t handle by myself but not so bad if the son is here to help.

The truck and trailer will handle much more but in order to haul more you have to put the hay side by side and put a roll on top to hold them in place . This makes the load about 11 foot wide and can’t see through the mirrors. ( and illegal ) When the rolls are put on top of the lower ones it makes it almost impossible for two men to push them off . Must have a machine at the barn for unloading .

Years ago before there were so much traffic , housing projects aka sub divisions and a Walmart with in a mile of the hay field. Back then I had good tires on the trailer and knew where the police was. Also I had a machine at home to push the hay off. Back then I hauled in good loads .

Picture below .

Now I find it easy to load quick with no tie down , can see the traffic behind me , no worrying about tires and enjoy the driving .

9 Likes

Hy Mr. Wayne
Do you only make dry bales or do you allso make semi dry/silage bales?
I has become a bit of a trend here for people to make them. Lack of long time good weather is one of the reasons. The feed is allso much more concentrated in nutrients. Our cows give allmost twice the milk when fead with semi dry. Althugh it comes at a risk of them goeing bad. Last year the machinist wich made the bales for us wanted to save a few bucks on wraping foil, most bales were moldy. Some eaven had mushrooms growing under the foil!

2 Likes

Hello Mr. Kristijan

There is not a lot of farming going on around me anymore but the bigger farms in the county are using the green roll and wrap method and I hear they are having good results.

2 Likes

Yee haa maken hay while the sun shines.happy hayen,SWEM @ AL.

1 Like

That looks like a 17000 lb load behind a 5000 lb Ford . Must have been an interesting drive and hope there was no hills with sharp curves!

3 Likes

Fall is my favorite time of year, l get to enjoy collecting fruits of hard work from the rest of the year. Here is one from today

Something for the body and soul :grapes::wine_glass:

9 Likes

It begins.
My first “wood” fire in the livingroom stove this morning since May.
A v-e-r-y small fire to let the hot-heat bleed off before the 18 month-old god-child wakes and starts buzzing around. A small wood-fire more for whole house induced wet-dogs ventilation, than for heating needs. Yet.
I’ve been teaching the god-child her “hots” by touch warming the stove this summer burning off papers trashes every 3rd, 4th day.
Time to get our summer house guest next door to move-on-with-her-life so we can get the other half of our living spaces back. The child’s, made-safe play areas.

Was cool’ish, wet’ish rubber boots Labor Day here. Another picking of green-beans done. Pears and prune-plumbs doing their final ripening. Corn, sunflowers never make maturity this year here. Drying beans need to be finished with wood-heating. Outside fuel woods now living tarped covered up.
Ha! I tried doing wood into the woodshed finshing earlier but can no longer do sweating work in the heat.
Steve Unruh

7 Likes

Thanks for that Steve and to others as to what else is going on in there lives!!
Tom thanks for asking about my A, since I sold the Caddy I’ve been working on getting interier in the Model A, I have never done any kind of upholstery work before but didn’t want to pay 2 or 3,000$ To have someone else do it!!! So I brought a 1942 Industial Singer Sewing Machine off Craigslist and went to work!!!

16 Likes

Lordy lordy!! You are doing a GREAT job. Not just plain flat seats and door panels but with colored inlays. Beautiful. When I was 17 I hung at a auto upholstery shop, and he made it look quite easy, just mark the material with white chalk, cut it, then stitch it together and stretch it over. I have wanted to try my hand at it. But what you are doing would have been way above anything he ever took on. Again BEAUTIFUL!!! It looks done. is it? TomC

7 Likes

Woah Herb!
Are you sure you didn’t miss your calling? That looks great!
A walk around video is almost a must now. Thanks for the preview.

5 Likes

Looking great! No tary hands in there, right? I’m with Bill - walk around, please!

5 Likes

Most important at today’s Swedish news: This guy turns his kayak over without spillning a drop of his beer.

5 Likes

And he didn’t get any water in the beer. How many cases of beer did it take him to perfect that?? Just saying. TomC

4 Likes

Very nice job Herb, Always so much more rewarding to do it yourself especially when it turns out as nice as that. When my wood gas truck is done that will be my next project in my 36 Chevy.

4 Likes

Thanks Tom, Bill and Jim and others that"liked" my post about my upholstery job!! When I started I couldn’t even spell the word but when you Google “upholstery” enough times on youtube I eventually learned not only how to spell it but to be able to do it!!! The car was bare metal inside and was like being inside a tin can, I started with sound deadner all over, then I made door pannels and all the pannels cut out of upholstery board (black 1/8 inch thick paper) then covered them with 1/4 inch thick foam, finally covering them with vinyl. I had seats with covers so I stripped them and used pices for patterns, sewed them together and I was done!!! I had my share of trouble but it wasn’t to bad!!! Herb

7 Likes

Beautiful job Herb, never too old to learn!

4 Likes

I hope you didn’t get any extra stitches in you fingers. Those industrial sewing machines have some “bad” looking needles. What does your wife think of the job? I know what my wife would be saying, " so why can’t you do my chair and couch?"" " It ain’t the same honey"!!!". TomC

6 Likes

Hahaha, I started out with her machine and everything Goin good and then it quit, took it all apart and found out the motor was shot and can’t get them anymore. That’s when I figured out I needed an industial machine!! Now I have to replace her machine she’s had for 40 years!!! O well, Herb

4 Likes