Life goes on - Summer 2016

How big was the bucket Wayne was dropping the fittings into? Love the sense of humor. Mine tends to get me into trouble

4 Likes

That is IT!! Some of the new guys weren’t around when that was posted. I know you learned about woodgas on that trip. Did Mr. Wayne learn to play the guitar?? Sing?? How about do a foot stomp?? TomC

4 Likes

The dog in the lower right hand corner seems very confused . He doesn’t know if he should howl, bark , bite or go back under the porch and go back to sleep . :blush:

7 Likes

I could use a little help from Chris and his banjo today :joy:

9 Likes

I don’t think a “tune” or even a new banjo string witll solve the roller problem. I know right about now you are up to your neck making hay, but I sure wish I could get out there and make a few rounds of the field. It has to be a beautiful day out or you would not be making hay. Good luck. The cows will appreciate your efforts come January. TomC

4 Likes

Well after a typical for here late summer drought break rains we have settle now into a wonderful fall like warm sunny period. 80-85F days. But . . .
This morning was a 34F low with the night clear sky heats radiating off.
Expect out first actual frost on the pumpkins tomorrow morning.
Yes actual pumpkins we grow for the children.
Even the 90 day corn ainta’gonna make it this year. Plenty of “Green” tomato’s too.
Our blush Candis grapes sugars set sweeten wonderfully after the first frosts.

Learn where you do live, adapt in and enjoy your variations.
Pining away for a somewhere else, or distracted by Somewhere Else’s speculations and musings is disheartening.

Smile, and enjoy the rising sun on the crisp frost crystals.
Steve Unruh

9 Likes

Couple of years ago I put up the HF 6 x 8 greenhouse and so can get everything started in April instead of June outside
So been eating corn ,tomatoes, zucchinies, peppers, and strawberries since mid July
Always tastes better than store bought
Put up an electric fence to keep the deer out, but it just slows them down a bit
They really seem to like tomatoe tops

7 Likes

Here are a couple of vids that are about right for the harvest season;

I also made a rat killer that empties itself automatically. My gravity motor is working. My wood-gas truck is still in the final stages. Life goes on.

5 Likes

Been busy !!

8 Likes

Hi there Wayne your wood pile is looking good, and the dodge ram still sounds like the new trucks with tuned exoust, and sounds good. I am working on a 11 by 20 feet shed for wood storege, and got a few good pine trees given to me for wood gas.

2 Likes

I wonder why I’ve never come across this clip before. It’s fun just listening to this hungarian tourist’s reaction. And the swedish Volvo/Imbert owner is certainly proude of his fashionable system :smile:

7 Likes

“I’ve been driving like this for three years now, never went to the gas station!” :smile:

4 Likes

Hi Keven How is the shed coming along. Are you going to side and roof it with wood or metal? How are you coming along with your truck did you get the motor back it? I found a burn tube but its 14 inch outside diameter. By using one inch fins it would be 16 inch diameter and go into a 18 inch water heater tank but I don’t know if 1 inch fins would cool it enough. what do ya think? what do any of the rest of you guys think?

2 Likes

I think one inch fins would be ok. Also, Mr wayne showed somewhere cutting a slice out of a piece of pipe and squeezing it down a bit in diameter.

4 Likes

Hi Andy Thanks for the reply. We are in the west branch Mi. area.Would you use saw blades or something a little thicker?his Cutting that pipe down welding it back together is way beyond me me right now as I have not done much welding the past few years.Sure hope I Get better at it as I get started with this project.That tube is 13 and 1/4 in. inside and it seems like that would be alright as I am working with a 3/4 ton dodge with 360 in it.Might need a little more wood gas?

2 Likes

Andy. with the big diameter tube don’t you think he would be better off going with the new design fire tube with the air coming in at the top and making one pass down and then up through tubes to the nozzles.? Rather than all those fins Much easier to weld and lest time consuming. TomC

2 Likes

Hi andy and larry O .the pipe size is fine, you wont save much weight there.and the big truck will have no problem heating up the bigget pipe, Wayne Keith has a dodge ram 318 or 360 with 16" burn tube with no problems other than changeing restriction to maintain a good turndown ratial. I am not too fond of tubes in place fins.but the tractor design uses less finns and thats what design i built from and it works good on waynes tractor.i just used the setup on the outer burn tube,Mostley the only thing is i havent tested mine yet as i have been coasting getting it finished, I think bill shiller built his a little differnt tractor design than what i went with.Make sure your outer burn tube shurould is heavy about like propane 100 # cyclinder,so it will be less likely top crack from the heating and cooling contraction times.I may have too change my outer shuroud as i used the thinner hot water heater steel there, instead i should have put the inner thinner steel not the outer shurould.

2 Likes

Interasting! I winder why is the gas hose insulated?

4 Likes

Insulated due to cold weather experiences.
Keep the woodgas warm and NOT condensate dropping out until to the front cooler/condensate tank gas “washing” area.
The metal transfer pipe cooling and condensate dropping would create a gas flow blockage liquid slug. Liquid slug could even freeze causing complete flow blockage.
S.U.

6 Likes

Hello Larry .

It is very easy to shrink a 14 inch tube to 12 inch . Very simple welding also. The burn tube doesn’t have to be perfectly round .

The burn tube + cooling fins and nozzle tubes + baffle + about an inch air space needs to fit into an 18 inch container .

On another note . I have been putting a lot of miles down . One light of the morning and adding wood though the day all the way until dark . :grinning: .

3 Likes