Life goes on - Summer 2017

Here we go Kristijan!
Not a selfie but…granddaughter wanted to participate.
Thanks again Chris.

13 Likes

Thanks for the picture JO .

Fine looking young lady you have there with you :relaxed:

7 Likes

We seem to be in the same boat. We get thunderstorms everyday now and are under a flood warning. If we get a flood it will destroy my hay. That happened once when I was a kid filled it all with sand and destroyed a brand new baler. I keep hoping we get some good hay weather soon.

4 Likes

Allright! Agnes grew a lot since the video last year. She migh just take after her granddad and wear that hat for real :wink:

Looks like DOW makes you younger, wife juvenated you a agood 10 years :smile:

Or, you Northers age slower :smile:

5 Likes

Tell her thanks, Kristijan!
I ran around beeing rather cocky about that last night. Wife suddenly had enough and said: “She’s only being polite!” :hushed:
Naw, I don’t think so…

5 Likes

Haha, tell your wife she shuld only be proud to have a fit husband :wink:

4 Likes

Hey, Canada day celebration here today, 150 years since Canada was confederated. Fireworks later… :smile:

11 Likes

O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.

With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!

From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

God keep our land glorious and free!

7 Likes

Happy Canada Day to our northern neighbors.

6 Likes

Yes , To all our northern neighbors a great Canada Day !

3 Likes

Anniston, Alabama is our little city.

Claims to fame.

1. Ft McClellan army base–
    a. until recently, the largest stockpile of chemical weapons in the US arsenal.
    b. former home of Military police training
    2.Site of the burning of the Freedom Rider’s bus during civil rights movement.
  2. site of large, very old Creek Indian burial mound
  3. Talladega Superspeedway

5 and most of all this. The Guiness book of world records biggest office chair:

Sorry couldn’t get the pic to rotate. (Maybe Chris can do it if he has time).

Haha. Makes us all proud . LOL :joy:

3 Likes

Most might now about birdie and eagle. The new golf term is moose calf :smile:

2 Likes

Well a couple of my fields are flooding and the water will continue to rise for a couple of hours. If I am lucky the flooding will be limited mostly to the fields I am still working on recovering and not the main field I depend on for hay. Part of that maybe 5 acres of my best fields are under water. That will cost me some hay this year but it could be alot worse. There is a 50 acre field that is on the edge and if it goes under I loose most of my best hay. The flood fills it with sand and you simply can’t harvest it without destroying the hay equipment. The last time this happen was about 35 years ago I was a small kid and just barely remember that my uncles lost their brand new baler that summer haying flooded out fields.

2 Likes

Dan, I used to live on flood plains when I was small. Family never knew when the crops could flood out. I still live near by. I hope they are wrong about the flooding getting worse every year from now. I wish you luck ! !

4 Likes

Crazy weather! Like Carl and others have said: where is that “I’m glad you posted, but sad about the situation” button. Hopefully the puddles (lakes!) will dry without much crop damage. We have been going through similar situations in Indiana, looking much better today.

4 Likes

I am with you there. But I have a feeling we are in for a rough ride with climate change. I think here in the north east we will probably have it better than most. Last year was a drought I got through that with almost no effect on my crops as my land is right on the river and right in one of the best spots in the state for land quality.
Looks like I will be pretty lucky this round only because I haven’t recovered all my fields yet. Otherwise I would have lost about 35 acres out of my 100 plus. Now I just hope it didn’t make too much of a mess. Floods this time of year can wash in a real mess as the ground is all thawed out or worse when it goes down there could be holes in the field. We have had some big washout in the past. That is probably my biggest fear right now alot of field damage would be hard to fix with the equipment I currently have.

5 Likes

We’re under water. :fearful:Got our hay in (some of it) in between rains. Had to get some help from a neighbor when the baler quit. Our gardens are kaput. Just the okra left. Everything else dying off rapidly. Hasn’t rained today, but still standing water everywhere. But if it stops one of these days, we’ll have another good crop of hay. And the fig trees have never been so loaded. Blackberries are huge , but almost too juicy to pick. Sugar content is down in them — diluted I guess. And there’s always mushrooms. :grin:
Sorry about yours.:cry: How many cuttings do you get a year generally?

I get 2 cutting a year here if I am lucky and can get over the ground quickly enough. I marked off where the high water was on the fields I think about 5 to 10 acres of field I have been haying got flooded. I am still in the process of opening everything up from when we stopped farming in 95 the renters and set aside program made a real mess of my fields.
I think the amount of silt is soo high in the flooded ground that I will just brush hog it and hope for a good second crop. I could feed it to to the cows but I couldn’t sell it for horses and it would probably kill my baler so I think just not worth it.

2 Likes

A thunderstorm outside. Got stuck looking through wifes reasent photos. A different perspective on our life. I have to admit she’s pretty handy with the camera.

13 Likes

Great photos. I love that the wood is the pot of gold at the base of the rainbow.

2 Likes