Life goes on - Summer 2019

Finally I have time for an update. At the end March I ended up in the ER and part of the week admitted in the hospital for the flue. The chemo knocks out the immune system so at a fever level I’m in trouble. Survived that but it stole at lease a month of my time with complications. That killed any time for the new gasifier.

Then the local news said that my place of employment was sold out. Next I get the letter that I’m loosing my job, can not blame them. They are working with me.

Then my grand mother’s sister’s daughter passed away. From cancer of all things.

Then there was my uncles estate sale (Argos week) that I sold most of my machinery that I would not use in the next 2 years. More work than I could really handle but we got the stuff moved over. In the process Dad broke a finger!

The new saw mill showed up at the same time I was trying to move stuff to the auction. The auction helped a lot for buying the mill.

More stuff going to an auction like all/most of the Wheel Horse stuff. Dad will get the nice overhauled WH with a gasoline engine swapped in. I find myself using the Lo-Boy all the time, will need to convert that to char.

I’m sure I forgot a few things.

Chemo brain makes it a problem to follow a lot of threads so I do not plan on keeping up with ya all. Since half of my interests are not germane to this forum I resurrected my lost web page at www.puffergas.com. Of course the last two months gave me zero time to add articles. Dang it all…

I will be asking you all about truck options in a later post.

14 Likes

Thank you Jeff for the up date. I can see you have had a lot on your plate besides your health and the chemo treatment and after math of stay alive from it. Sorry to hear about your grand mother’s sister’s daughter passing away and your dad broken finger. I will lift the family up in prayer. Thanks for your web site address.
Keep your positive attitude going. I say this: God is Good no matter what is happening to me, He is still Good. This keeps me in a positive thinking mind.
Bob

3 Likes

Jeff, what Bob said. Glad to hear you are still with us. I was worried.

6 Likes

Jeff what Bob said just hang in there and take care of your self and may God be with you.

3 Likes

Thanks all ! ! !

Yes, I keep positive. Anytime a negative thought hits my head I just let it flow out.

7 Likes

Some of you may or may not know of this certain small engine company that’s turning 100 today and yesterday us plebs had a walk around

3 Likes

6 Likes

Got the first half of my new shed slab poured today. The generator ALMOST had enough fuel to mix it all, but I ended up doing the last 3 bags off the solar system. I melted and collapsed the hose leading out from the cyclone, as it was hard to keep a close eye on it while trying to hustle and get the concrete down.

I am looking forward to having a nice new space to build this things big brother :grin:

8 Likes

Good of you to point out the DiscoveryProductions drama-making BillS.
Similar to WayneK’s: I’ll pass experience.
Pretty much unless you are doing the video production broadcasting yourself, start-to-finish you will have no control.
You’all have only ever seen little of me on-camera. I am not at all people shy. I just do not enjoy having my mad button jumped on.

I did call this accurately a drama-mom’ma show. This is Rural yokel saying . . . the action, and energy-pace; is faked.

Still; nice to see others out working hard to live homestead rural in many parts of this country.
Places I’d never choose to live. (snakes . . . floods . . . tornado’s, Oh! My!)
Bears, cougars, wildfires, snow&ice, I can take.

Cascadia fault-liner Steve Unruh

Postscript:
I got around to watching a pre-recorded movie I’d setup for last week. “Betrayal”. A Hollywood 1956 production of a Dutch WWII resistance/underground/spy story staring Victor Mature, Lana Turner. It was mostly filmed in actual Holland. There was an actual charcoal gasified converted delivery truck used by Victor Matures character as a get-away vehicle.

7 Likes

Making hay while the sun shines :grinning:

9 Likes

Don’t know where to put this but the message has the same meaning Happy Father’s Day to the first timers to the old timers Dan

6 Likes

OK , so today I went for a truck ride and OH how it hurt , I had been resisting because I knew it was going to hurt and for the last couple months I wouldn’t even look inside the truck while parked in my yard.

My youngest son has a work truck ( not actually his but the cattle company he works for ) 2019 silverado 3500HD 4WD turbo diesel V8 ( 445 HP and 910 LB torque ) ,4 door with flat working bed design to pull goose neck trailers . Inside the cab are a couple of computer screens and so many gadgets that I didn’t know what they were . I did not realize the ton trucks had jake brakes on them ??

My son wanted me to take a quick ride to town and back with him . Luckily it was a short trip because it did hurt . I would have felt better wearing a suit and tie vs the overalls and boots I was wearing.

I know getting back in my old 25 YO wood burning work truck will not be the same but if the petrol dries up he will be sitting on the side of the road feeling the pain while I drive by smiling :grinning:

PS The trip to town was to fuel up . He had over 1/4 tank , put in $90 and not sure he filled it full :roll_eyes:

13 Likes

Good evening Wayne,I know what you mean, were paying over 60 cent a gallon tax for road repairs state tax soon this year, Good too know how too make it all happen with wood and charco units. Off grid is even looking good these days for readyness or self powered. I am glad i bought you and chris have wood will travel book on full detail of the entire unit plans. Thanks for getting the book out and the web site.Excellently Explained.

5 Likes

So Ive built two more guitars, Its a bit of fun building these and learning a lot about blending the stains and finishing work. :fire:

![IMG_0486|231x499]
IMG_0486

11 Likes

Hi Guys!

Sorry for not posting much lately, been buissy catching up on the farm since our US trip and in addition to that, my dear 1 and a half year old daughter threw both my and wife’s smartphone in her swimming pool so we are now on 20$ stone age phones till we can buy something better. I read posts on a old old tab with a broken screen so l can’t really type. Just a fast update to show im still alive.
We have a nice hot summer, it started poorly but developed in a nice season. Crops doing well, except for potatoes. Bugs took a big tool on them. Bees doing great.

17 Likes

Hi Matt those are some pro built looking guitars, did you play one of them at the argo meeting. ?

1 Like

I did a few years back before I broke my finger.

1 Like

That’s a huge paw. Poor bear.

We’ve heard/experienced the same from several different reality show producers. Wife Swap, Amish Rumspringa, Homestead Shows, Amish Mafia.

They’re all like that I think. They have to manufacture some kind of drama to get people to watch I guess. Then normal people doing normal things, like woodgas, end up confused with folks like Eustis.

4 Likes

That bear was only sedated but, we all have to die at sometime.
Here is an interesting article about making water from atmospheric moisture. It mentions that you can use a gassifier to get the process going.