Life goes on - Summer 2022

I already had, but is it adaptable to a gutter for the rain water? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Essentially…no

This was a long winded test, even in the very wet rainy pacific Northwest I this this would be much better adapted to storm water runoff in ground where maximum flow happens from ALL the downspouts. Still minimal return, but a fun project I’m sure

They failed because they didn’t use a turbine design. water wheels aren’t that efficient LOL

That’s a lot of time at the screen Marcus. Tired of chunking? Maybe you should get some exercise. Try chasing mama around the yard a while. Oh never mind. I just remembered how you abuse a beaver.

2 Likes

Really gusting winds here today. Went on a 200 mile round trip to the family farm in southern Indiana. Burned about 25% more fuel than normal. I stopped in a small town of 500 people at the gas station for a drink. Created some excitement there. There were a bunch of farmers inside the window area having coffee and telling stories. As I came in the door one shouted over “bring your still with you?”. Of course they had never heard of gasification.

7 Likes

Here’s what I built, still need to install, it is a LG washer motor rewired for 48v Micro hydro setups - #40 by taitgarry00

4 Likes

Went to the Washington state trappers winter rendezvous and fur sale in my wood burner today, many of the guys knew about my truck from the local hunting forum where I have a thread about DOW going and enjoyed seeing the truck, few of the higher-ups in the association said I have no excuse not to make it to the summer rendezvous in eastern Washington next year since I don’t have to pay for fuel :joy: everyone got a kick out of it that I was tossing muskrat carcasses in the truck for fuel, except my fur buyer who said “man, I would have bought those from you!”

11 Likes

Would he have paid the equivalent of what those muskrats in fuel calories to dino fuel would cost? Good call Drive On Muskrat. Better than a road kill cat. Both are free though.
Bob

6 Likes

I get .25c/lb for beaver and muskrats meat, so maybe a dollar for the rats I have ran through, I would be curious to know how far they got the truck! One fellow who is a biodiesel guy asked “well if my truck smells like french fries, does yours smell like steak?” :grin::joy:

9 Likes

That is almost worth more then the rat fur isn’t it?

1 Like

Depending on the market, fur density and primness yes. Several muskrat furs I sold this year went 1-3$ each, so same price for the meat. My best rat this year went for 5$. And the west side rats are not the same quality as east side, which I saw a few sell at 6$ at the auction. But dollar for dollar the most worth it to chase and fun in my opinion. Easy to catch, very fast to skin and put up the fur, Les then 10 minutes total time investment into a rat, that is potentially 25/hr pay out working with them. One spot I check on the way to and from work I can get 2-10 rats every day, that is enough of a return on fur to make up the minimal moneys I spend in gasoline for the drive. I think it is more cost effective to run the meat through the truck since I have to freeze and hold them for 3-5 months before the fur sale and freezer energy isn’t to cheap. But running the wood burner this year to check my trap line was now the first time ever that I had a net income GAIN since I started fur trapping, taking fuel cost out of the equation. A total win! Plus the meat I get for eating, another net gain. Plus trade work of animal removal for hunting privilege I get I now have a new duck hunting and elk hunting spot. And unlimited access to as much cabbage as I want, hope to next year start playing with making my own sour kraut.

4 Likes

Even with a net loss, this makes it worth it. :stuck_out_tongue:

The only way I saw to make ‘living’ money at it was to actually do the tanning and product making. How much do beaver pelts go for?

2 Likes

This year I did pretty good, my best beaver went 20$. Last year I was getting 8-10$. It all adds up even though there a lot of time investment. I plan to start tanning next year, and make some leather and fur projects. I was going to start this year with a pair of very early blue otters I caught, but after getting them cities tagged my buyer asked if I wanted to sell them at 18$ each. Well I was going to tan them for wall hangers but I guess that market is rising as he planned to do the same, so I sold them. Less work for me and cash in my pocket, and what was a largely worthless fur will not go to waste which made me happy. I don’t like anything to go to waste,fur meat metal cars trucks it’s sad the world we live in here in the US went from use it up, then fix it up, then repurpose it to throw it away and buy something new on credit. I just don’t have the mental capacity to understand that thought process. I understand the whole buy once cry one,having nice things is nice, but I also like the saying “if you can’t afford the rest, don’t buy the best” I can’t afford to maintain a 40,000$ diesel truck like I want, but I can afford to limp along some old beaters on free fuel that makes me feel free!

10 Likes

Its a rust belt truck,though not too bad for thin frame dakota from michigan area,colder than heck today,and windy, If you look close at the frame,its a poor man truck too rebuild, Think when i replace rear frame behind the cab , i will move the frame rails out about 3.5 inches there abouts. and make frame stratle the leaf spring, that will leave me room too drop my burn tube housing between frame and drive shaft. Then i have too mount a different fuel tank elsware, I could have an overall top of hopper too bottom of burn tupe housing of 58 inches even with the cab.AND i would need a side port or side ways ammo can too scoop out ash under burn tube.And i intend too extend the frame 6 too 10 inches ,should be enough too make more room for burn tube housing .

.THIS IS PROBBLY IN WRONG AREA. I start new thread when i get building.

COLD here one more day, warming up tuesday starting too.

9 Likes

I’ll be glad when spring gets here. That way you guys will all be outside doing spring stuff and when I don’t check the forum for half a day it won’t take me 4 hours to catch up on all the posts. :exploding_head::exploding_head:
But learning a lot :smiley:

7 Likes

Tom you are just seeing the tip of the iceberg, under the water is the rest of the people that will be coming to the surface as the gas prices go up and cost for other things. My Dana dear doesn’t think this DOW is dumb idea anymore. She likes to travel. I said we will not be traveling much unless we can afford it. DOW will mean we can afford it. She is seeing the light of DOW. When I get the little 1996 Subrau Out Back going She might want a gasifier on her newer one it is a 2001 2.5 L engine. Time will tell.
Bob

6 Likes

Bob I guess you need to design a Dana Approved No Mess fuel bag.

5 Likes

Wish you was my next door neighbor.

3 Likes

Welcome to the DOW family Dusty! Where are you located at?

2 Likes

dont put no more money in bitcoin or cripto currency/ its going too crash hard after may 4th or little later, bidon and other goverments either out lawing or heavy fines, as cripto has a heavy carbon foot print. Acording too bitcoin original addvisor , the digetal dollar is the next money maker investment.

3 Likes