Life goes on - Summer 2022

He uploaded this video as well today. It seems he uploads to TikTok

9 Likes

That was a cool ride even if it was a short ride.
Bob

8 Likes

Someone at work tossed out 3 demountable rims with some rotted tires mounted to them.

Grabbed those, I can always make a funnel or air jacket donut using them.

15.25" at the very edge of the rim. Looks like they were on a trailer cause it’s got Cooper Mobile Home tires.

3 Likes

S.U.;

Keeps the mosquitos down. TomC

5 Likes

I’ve been reading and re-reading the MEN Gasifier plans. The one I got is the updated design with the combination of upwards and straight across nozzles.

This really is a decent system and I can see why Ron Lemler still runs his. I won’t take pictures of the plans for intellectual property reasons but I really like their layout for the materials on-hand in the 70s. The hearth itself I’m not crazy about but they worked with what was commonly available.

The plans are worth the 20 some odd dollars in my opinion if anything for study material.

4 Likes

I agree CodyT.,
I under appreciated the MENS system and plans too many years until I got hands on a nearly complete set of saved original Mother Earth News magazines a couple of years ago.
Then I could ‘way-back’ and follow their live evolution developments over the course of several years.

Such as the up drilled jets added to reduce gluing hang ups.
They had three different mixers and control designs tried until their secondary stage carburetors conversions.

Read away
Steve unruh

4 Likes

I think the most underappreciated aspect of the design, besides the upwards jets for hangups/bridging, is that half of the hopper is inside the bottom barrel considering it’s a real Imbert shallow hearth design. What it doesn’t really have in air preheating it makes up for in fuel preheating to ensure the moisture is driven out progressively, and hopefully without steam crashing the hearth.
Imbert pre-monorator worked alright inside wood moisture tolerances with it’s hot hopper, key issue being fuel moisture. Post-monorator because of the conversions you lost the fuel preheating I’ve noticed in photographs, you have a hearth gas jacket and the hopper separate. “Why not both?” If you have a monorator to evacuate that moisture I see no issue with the lower half being a hotter area. Heat efficiencies is a big game of Give and Take balancing act.

Definitely a springboard to jump off of in concept.

3 Likes

I don’t think there are intellectual property rights on pictures published for public viewing as long as acknowledgement of the source is mentioned. Anyway all the articles SteveU mentioned are available by purchasing the MEN archive DVD’s or flash drives.

5 Likes

There’s stuff in the purchased plans that they don’t talk about or show on their web articles, so I didn’t want to show them just in case.

5 Likes

Just received an email,
0-30 WC gauges are available at PRM FILTRATION again.

12 Likes

Thanks Chris .

I will look to see if I have a spare and if not may order one of those .

6 Likes

A spar is always nice to have, it was 10pm and i was half way threw shaving the other day and water quite… went down to macanical rm amd could smell burnt contacts. Pressure switch melted down😮‍💨

My wife started fussing about her shower and what about kids getting ready for school in the morning…

Walked out to shop, i had used my spare and not replaced it. So i yanked one off a shallow well pump i had on the shelf and was back to shaving in less than an hour.

Always nice to have a backup, because for me at least. If its going to fail it will be after store hours.
Besides who wants to run to town everytime something breaks!
That why God invented duck tape, bailing wire and a pair of vice grips. :smiley:

15 Likes

Dad called to tell me he is probably going to get a Side-By-Side UTV. CFMoto ZForce 950 Sport. Automatic transmission, maybe a CVT? Not sure I haven’t seen it yet.

I told him immediately we should put a gasifier on that bad boy, it has 80 horsepower and probably weighs 1/3rd what my Mazda weighs. It has a reece hitch adapter so it’d be as easy as buying a cargo shelf.

I personally don’t like the aesthetics of UTVs, I’m more of a Sand Rail or Manx Buggy kind of guy.

3 Likes

An eight days later follow up on woodstove with my new “found” walnut heating wood.
Now I am down to burn mixing walnut wood irregular stub chunks (impossible to stack) with the same in maple and worm eaten up pine.

That walnut is the one to hols coals for 12 hours hidden in a thick blanket of walnut ash.
Burnt down to full devolved charcoal logs . . . tapped down to settle for refueling the walnut is the one that just falls apart into good charcoal chunks. Maple and the pine i have to whack down good getting lots of fines and irregular sized char chunks.

Quite different for me.
I suspect some others with unknown to me Gum wood, Madrone, Hickory, Mesquite, and such are getting better charcoaling results than I will ever see.
Steve Unruh

5 Likes

Filter material must be prepared…:grinning::fire:

17 Likes

Tone, I can tell those are not your first swings with a scythe :+1:
It’ll be at least another month before we’ll have growth that tall.

10 Likes

JO, you know what Wayne would say, “this isn’t your first rodeo” :grinning:

9 Likes

I love it! :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

It’s a big one , making big swings!

6 Likes

I feel bad for you that you are still feeding a stove SteveU. May 6 was the last day mine got a taste. It’s a day I anxiously await, for many months.

6 Likes

Hello Tone .

Thanks for the video .

I had to stop the video twice just to rest while watching :blush:

9 Likes