Life goes on - Summer 2022

I’m no expert but I know there is a fungi around here that has a faint glow as well, but up in higher elevations say 1500-3000’ above sea level. I have only seen it once before while out hiking after sunset. Nowadays I would probably never see it with my artificial headlamp always on my hat

5 Likes

Apparently there’s 70 different bioluminescent types of fungi. Did it have Oyster looking fungus on the tree?

7 Likes

Cody, you seem to know something about everything. Is Google your brother?

6 Likes

Hi Kristijan, i’ve seen it once in my lifetime, really glad to have experienced it, almost a whole, small,rotten tree stump spooky glowing, blue/greenish. Nothing you see everyday!
I’ve read in an old science magazine that people used to put pieces of this fungus tree in some meat boil-of, broth?, fill a little of it in glass jars, to make a “lantern” for fun or decoration, this should have been done in 1800s-early 1900s?

5 Likes

I just searched “glow in the dark fungi” :joy:

6 Likes

I’m trying to figure out how you are always reading my mind Don. Might just be the great minds think alike thing.

6 Likes

In southern Indiana in the rolling hills and dense forest one will find it. Usually in a damp area. The old-timers called it foxfire. Stumps and fallen trees that glow from fungus.

7 Likes

1 Like

So what are you guys paying for 155 CF of 75 Argon/25 co2 shielding gas? I refilled my tank early this year for $45 and yesterday they billed me $60.48. That included the usual 7% Indiana tax (3.95) and a (new) Hazardous material fee of $12.45. Maybe I am getting old and grouchy but I felt like I got shafted by them. I have been having my tanks refilled there for probably 30 years. The last few times seemed to be pretty high priced to me.

5 Likes

What’s hazardous about argon and CO2?

2 Likes

Compressed gas is considered Hazardous Materials.

2 Likes

Got my drip irrigation in! Gonna have to order some more 1/4" lines to water the rest of this. It’s just a plastic 55 gallon drum with a ball valve feeding it. It’s on a downhill grade so the watering rate is about even across the grid.

I planted some Kentucky Wonder bush beans and Silver Queen corn in the first three rows, two rows of just corn and my final row is some Detroit Beets. Waiting for those to come up so I can thin them. Next year I’ll start those indoors.

7 Likes

The thing about planting beets like that is that the weeds are going to be there before the beets get started. Don’t pull the weeds or thin the beets by pulling them. A PITA but snip both the weeds and extra beets off at the soil with some scissors. Don’t mean to be bossy.

7 Likes

Hopefully I won’t have much of a weed problem since I tilled before I put in the wood chips. I’m sure next year there will be tons of weeds waking up.

6 Likes

I have seen it a few times in rotten damp logs . The old timers around here call it Fox Fire

7 Likes

May the harvest time begin!

14 Likes

Cherries?

This is a sad year for my cherries. One of our two cherry trees died this year, so it won’t fruit until I can find a replacement. The wild cherry is too far away to cross pollinate.

4 Likes

The bings cherries just got picked the last two days a bout 30 bins of cherries. Still have the lapens to go and Roy said it is looking good for those , a lot more cherrys on the trees then the bings. I hope he gets a good price for them.
Bob

6 Likes

These are sour cherries, some early cultivar. Pretty small tree, I was able to pick almost whole tree just standing on the ground. They are nicely sour without too harsh acids and with very pleasant aroma. They will end up in a cake tommorow, as I was promised by Her Majesty Queen of Kitchen.
We have another one tree, more than 50 years old they say. Ripens later and has bigger cherries. This year the tree Is flooded with fruits. Need to wait for proper time and hopefully all thay will go into the wine carboy.

9 Likes

Looking good Kamil! We were to late for the cherries, birds were faster. The goid thing is we found the asparagus again. 32 pieces from 32 planted, what a score!

10 Likes