Life goes on - Summer 2022

What sorcery is this? Anyone knows?

We visited a chinese restaurant the other day, their shrimp crackers reminded me l hadnt made those treats in a while. Only difference ours arent prawn flavoured but pork flavoured :smile:

Since on pigs, look what my almost 7 year old sow surpriced us with again. A record size litter of 11 piglets! Bear in mind those pigs only have 8 to 10 tits so they also have smaller liters thain comercial breeds.

13 Likes

That is fried pork rind?
Extremely popular in Denmark, Swedish people visiting Denmark often bring some bags home, they have them on the snack-shelf.
“Flæskesvær” in Danish.

5 Likes

Exactly. Its usualy sold at fairs and farmers markets here. I make a batch each year, the dry product stores well in a jar for a year in the pantry. They do not look delicious raw thugh :smile:

6 Likes

We have another week for hiking, this time in Steyr Alps, Austria. Currently staying in Ramsau am Dachstein.

A lot of peaks all around. But this special one makes me think @Wayne was here as well.

For @Tone I have the exposition of Fergies and Steyers working all around here. A lot of opportunities to woodgasing the tractor.

14 Likes

Needed some supplies so I went to town today. A 5 LB box of construction screws I paid $14.99 for in May now cost $23.99. I think I should have restocked my hardware supplies earlier. Bag of cement up $4.99

7 Likes

Makes a guy sick! Dad was building a walk-in cooler a few weeks ago and picked up a tub of construction screws 3 1/8 torx…i was shocked when he showed me the bucket. Its a 1/3d the size i normally get and for more money.
Its been about awhile since i last picked any up.

:dizzy_face:

5 Likes

Ya same here in central , michigan area, food, gas, and hardware supplys all sky high price rigging.

2 Likes

I had some balsam poplar i’ve neglected for a while, decided to cut it up for making charcoal of the most of it. Also a great opportunity to test last find for the chainsaw collection.

Now waiting for a rainy day to fire-up the charcoal retort. :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Is that front canister for chain oil? How is that fed. some kind of hand pump.

6 Likes

The front canister is actually the fuel tank, the “top” canister is for oil, there is a plunge-pump that can be reached with left hand thumb.
:smiley:

9 Likes

I like it. One of my favorite saws is the Homelite Super XL I have owned and used since the early 1980’s. 60cc with more power than my 60 cc husqvarna. All metal, cases and no chain lock or dampening. It will numb you hands after a while. Mine crackles when you gas it. It just sounds mean. At one time Homelite built quality stuff.

7 Likes

I have been hauling some scrap metal the last couple of days . In most cases folks make just enough money to cover the GASOLINE expense :smile: :smile:

10 Likes

Yes those Homelite’s are nice saw’s, pretty indestructible.
I have some in my “collection” that i like to use for firewood cutting, feels pretty “modern” but as you say, gives cold and numb fingers. :smiley:

Xl-12:s, good saw’s if i remember correctly it was one of the longest made series of saw’s.

This little top-handle Homelite is good when “up-in-a-tree” delimbing.

5 Likes

What was on the trailer then Wayne, 20$? Man the scrap gets more and more valuable to gasifier builders :joy:

3 Likes

Hello Marcus .

I was trying to clean up my junky work area a little .

Yesterday we hauled 1500 pounds of very junky iron at six cents per pound .

The picture from this morning shows 360 pounds of aluminum at 30 cents a pound .

Just now we hauled a load which included 90 pounds of copper at $2.25 per pound .

Five guys unloading my trailer didn’t notice I was different :smile:
SWEM

9 Likes

I dont wanna talk about cleaning up work space right now :joy:

It’s a mess during construction hours haha

9 Likes

Mr Wayne, maybe it is better to wait a few weeks. Price will go up again when factories start up again. Price dropped from €0,30/kg to €0,15 ( around €0,06/ pound)a few weeks ago. That happens every year. I am sure it works the same way on your site of the pond.

Edit, just asked a friend €0,077/ pound. Dollar/ euro is almost the same.

3 Likes

Scrap is down too 120.00 buck a ton, it was up around 160.00 a ton for a long time, maybe its the big heat wave slow down in the factorys. I hope it goes back up too match gas prices, though i only have about 15 miles the scrap yard, i took a ladys car too scrap yard for her and only got 240 bucks and it was loaded with left over scrap steel cut offs.think they juked me though.

5 Likes

Close down time for major maintanance. Junk drops and also new material. I just bought 10 tons, and I hope for a good price :grinning::thinking:. We will see if prices go up after the holidays or go down. You never know these days.

2 Likes

last time I hauled scrap steel was last year and I was payed .08 cents a ton for shredder steel. So mad I loaded the rest of my scrap onto pallets and tucked it away, not worth loading the truck at those prices. sitting a good pile of aluminum and copper right now waiting for better prices

3 Likes