Life goes on - Summer 2022

That is what I thought but it could be cast steel or a few additives to make it less brittle. Or I’m under estimating it’s strength since I have cracked a few things

2 Likes

Someone told me they are a composite. On mine I cut the outer band off then made the sloping cut for the cutting edge and lastly sharpened the edge. The first one had the stress cracks in the drum and finally failed while chucking thick dried wood. Can’t cut with a oxy/act torch have use abrasives. Plan on spending some time. However the price was right. Get Em out of my way and load em yourself. Grabbed a couple but now the price of scrap drums is up so your mileage may vary. Thickness will vary depending on wear presently mine is 9/16 thick.

3 Likes

Warning. If you don’t think guns are funny don’t watch this video. I’m mostly putting it on here for Marcus.

3 Likes

Yea, Edwin has done a few things I wouldn’t do… ever been on Brandon Herrera’s channel and watched the Darwin awards?? Holy hell there are some unintelligent folks out there when it comes to explosives and firearm’s. That being said a anti material rifle such as a 50bmg aint exactly something to play with in the first place if you ever shot one its a life changing experience. Having to pack one on a five mile ruck march with your military buddies made me know I aint the tough guy I thought I was. And I only packed the rifle, other guys packed the ammo. Good reason they are usually mounted on a technical

4 Likes

well, I looked them up. Apparently to cut weight, heat dissipation and strengthen them to make them last longer, they are iron alloyed (with what, they didn’t say) and some of them use steel for the rest of the rim, and the cast material for the wear part.
And there is one company that will custom make them to your specs, lighweight, fast stopping, or long life.

Part of that explains why they are hard to cut with a torch. they are made to dissipate heat quickly. Plasma might be hot enough fast enough.

2 Likes

A gun that shoots through a safe wall and an air bottle is one thing, but mostly it was about the power of that oxygen in the bottle most of us have sitting in our shops or garages. Looked like he was about 70 plus yards away when he lit that thing up. How far did that cap have to go up for it to stay in the air so long?

5 Likes

Compressed gases are no joke, I have a set of torches that live in the service truck and I’m constantly checking in them. Heard stories of old timers in the junk yards and yard trucks having to pack around bottles and bad bad things happening!

4 Likes

The only tanks our scrapyard will take is hot water heaters, unless the tanks are cut in half or so I was told.

Hey Kevin I don’t have a video of my own since it works so well I don’t have any scrap wheels and tires around to do a video with but here is a video of a other guy doing the same thing

3 Likes

Camping at Banks Lake with the Grandchildren. Heading out fishing tomorrow for bass and walleye. Green Perch are easy to catch, but the bigger walleyes are not. Hope to put the boat over the top of some big fish.
Bob

8 Likes

I just go too several scrap yards, and they sell it for what they get for it when they sell too the next scrap buyer.Or there about that price. I can usualy find big pipe 12" or 13" pipe, havent checked in a year or so.

2 Likes

One year ago yesterday we met at Matt Riders shop with Jakob’s crew!

15 Likes

Good luck! Walleye are finicky and usually don’t hit hard, I usually use 3" twisters for both on jig heads. (hook up, tail down) Usually purple ones, this time of year but white and yellow ones work as well. For bass casting, or trolling I use a spinner rig, and use the 2" ones.
You can catch them on a lot of other things but it is only one hook, and with walleye, if you use nightcrawlers, you have to use a whole worm with a single hook. They don’t bite on a part of a worm or one that is bunched up on a hook. With kids in the boat 1 hook and not having to fiddle with worms is nice.
They nibble and hit soft. They also follow, so you speed up the motion by slowly pulling up on the pole and letting it back down, every minute or so, but a lot of times they hit when you let it back down.

If you aren’t paying close attention, it feels like a weed, so it is pretty hard to get kids to get the hang of when to set the hook. They will spit it back out so you have to be kind of quick as well.

I am sure you know most of that, but it is a great experience, and it certainly teaches patience to both the kids and the adult. Good luck!

6 Likes

which ones? IIRC you aren’t that far from me. The guy between williamston and dansville is the only one I know of. I heard he passed but someone must have taken over the business.

1 Like

I knew it was sometime around now, Don. Hard to believe another whole year has passed and I didn’t get a quarter of what I had planned accomplished. I recommend no one get old if you can avoid it and still remain on the sunny side of the soil.

7 Likes

My trick to do that so the kids don’t have to is always troll in a slow zig zag motion. The inside rod slows down and dangles on a angle in the water while the outside rod speeds up and travels horizontal. The constant speed switch triggers the feeding reaction of most predatorial fish species

1 Like

Today i visited a nearby tractor and agricultural museum, today was “open house, farmers day”
Lot’s of fun stuff running.
Some friends and i showed vintage chainsaws.

My friend Johan arrived in style in his 1947 Dodge/Fargo Power wagon.

Two friends running a Mercury Disston two-man chainsaw.

20220917_094721
Some of my display.

My Comet semi-diesel, here i heat up the ignition tube, it’s a built in propane burner, impossible to get the flame on photo.

Here’s a display showing how to make tar, easy setup, upside down drum with pitch wood inside, building a fire round it, tar collection from the bottom.

A buzz-saw/chunker for woodgas fuel, same model i’ve posted before, powered by a hot-bulb engine.

The museum takes care of this tractor, this is the Fordson Major that Niklas (Omstallningsresan) has done some youtube videos of.
The gasifier is mounted on the wrong side, it’s better to have it on the left side if doing ploughing.

Old-time threshing.

Sorry for all chainsaw stuff :roll_eyes:

18 Likes

That is a good trick as long as the lines don’t get tangled. I have seen people do that, but I always thought it was because of their choice of beverage. :slight_smile: The other one we have done is speed up and slow down the motor. It is easier to do with trolling motors, or even smaller gas motors, and you can just flip them in neutral for a couple of seconds.

Goran, you’re having too much fun up there in the north, thanks for the post and the nice pictures, I’m also enjoying this fun, thanks.

8 Likes

This morning at 5:00 I woke up with a serious pain in my side. I finally got to exercise my very expensive health insurance with an emergency room visit. I’m in the age range for all kinds of things bursting like the appendix so I didn’t want to leave it to chance.

I have a 3.5mm diameter kidney stone! I’m happy it isn’t my appendix, no surgery needed. It just hurts like crazy, I actually broke my rule of not taking painkillers, it meets my echelon of “You’d be stupid not to”.

But after being released at 8am because I wanted to take the meds at home, I found out both of the pharmacies in town are closed. Being in a lot of pain I just went home for a hot soak and some Tylenol. Feeling much better and my mother is going to pick up the prescription in the other town over where she works, but I don’t think it’s over with yet. I’ve always dreaded kidney stones and hadn’t had one until today. I’ll still take this over my appendix bursting.

8 Likes