Life goes on - Winter 2014

21F. Got 2-3 inches of snow last night. 4 of us spent 4 hrs today moving it at work. Tomorrow low down around 5 high 18 norm for this time of year 50ies. Wanted to work on plumbing on truck today but gave up cause couldn’t feel my fingers. Gotta get some heat in my shop. Yes I will accept some cheese to go with my whine. There are those who have it worse than I.
Bill you sure that wasn’t a picture of my garden you posted?

Tom, winter came too quick. The earliest in a long time. I didn’t get all my potatoes out of the ground. My garden is small because I was just experimenting. I may take all the boxes out of the ground and move them forward. I will then turn this area into a potato garden along with onions, garlic and asparagus. I think then it will be big enough.

SSDD !!! We actually got more snow down here in Linden than in Appleton 160+ miles north of here … We’ve got 3 inches on everything and they had around an inch up there. My nephew from Rhinelander said they had 18 inches in that big storm a few days ago … All is white here and frozen and being sunday nothing was plowed so I got to drive 200 miles in snow today. Must be crazy !!! :o) … Had a nice time at the wedding yesterday … They had a great “real” band … It is 10 degrees here right now and going down at 7:24 PM … Forget condensate tanks right now … Mike (I know !)

Raised bed garden out of 2 by 12 two high. With a ledge I can sit on . 4 ft by 16ft. I believe its to tall so the next one will be half as tall. Although its really nice to be able to weed and harvest standing up straight or setting on my backside. Draw back is the amount of dirt to fill it.
You can get a lot of stuff out of a small area if you plan it right. This year was radishes, Chinese cabbage collards and tomatoes. Fought grass hoppers all summer long. January is seed catalog time gives me something to read ofva evening.

Nothing else to say but brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr … Mike

Photos from DOW headquarters this morning… now 16 degrees and falling…

looking familiar chris and i’ll 2nd that mike 50 miles north there expecting 3 feet dodged a bullet there.

sure makes spring feel good,another 4 months too go , my cotton wood dryed out and is burning too fast I gotta turn into one of those get er done kinda guys.

I would move!

And lose my reason to gripe.
Tomw

Chris, did DOW headquarters move to Minnesota? Just about every state experienced some of this polar vortex.

HA Ha … brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Chris ,

After looking at those pictures I would feel guilty sending a letter north !

Beautiful isn’t it? Nothing prettier than a fresh snow still on the trees!

MOVEING TOWORDS THE SOUTH SURE SOUNDS GOOD. A lot of people sure have been doing so, save on gas heating bills, fighting a lot less snow, we sure got are share last year.michigan .06% lost population second to porta rica, national average is the highest region of about 16 % population increase in the south. or higher than all the other regions, per year / or 10 year count/ not sure/ I heard it was higher than that , people moveing south, coloroto is one of the highest population gains, fighting for indevidual freedoms/ hope i did,ent ramble too long ,was trying to respond to some post up top farther.THANKS

Tuesday morning and getting ready to go fire up the Dakota…8 degrees here in South east Kansas. I’m ready for summer and winter isn’t even here yet.

Gary

How careful are you about draining places on the truck that might freeze?..

It was a bit warmer here - all the way up to 12 degrees in Northern Arkansas this morning :slight_smile: All summer-ish crops are gone in the biochar greenhouse… I thought I “might” make it through to Thanksgiving with them. I guess not this year. I think we must be having record cold for this early in the year. Many years we do not even get a good freeze until after Christmas. Over-winter crops are OK, so far…

We moved South, thinking we wouldn’t have to deal with this so much. I guess, not far enough South… Life can be a compromise.

I’ve been moving things around in the shop for days now so I can have a more permanent place in the shop to work on the truck over the winter. Must sell a few things I’ll probably never use any more.

Al D

Goodbye global warming, hello global cooling. Low record temps records are outbreaking the high record temps 2 to 1 now. Ice is forming on Lake Superior already and ice fishermen are already on the lakes here (walking, not driving yet). All this is 3 to 4 weeks ahead of schedule.

Hey All
Same, same thing here in the normally 40’sF “warm n’wet” PNW-wetside.
16F Friday night. 18F Saturday night. 24F Sunday night. Niegbors pipes freezing by then. 26F last night. This is all with ~1inch of freezedry disappearing snow. Not enough snow to insulate.
Better than last week early with regional windstorms power out for most here for 24 to 72 hours.
LOVE my bulk wood heating stoves!! All the heat and hot water we wanted. Our toilets still flushed. Grid-dependent electric heaters; and augure feed and blower dependent pellet stovers; and propane folks suffered a lot, depending. Waste a lot of propane in a “fireplace” with no forced air blower to move that heat out and about.
Fellows . . . think ahead. Next will be YOU. Gonna be a long, cold winter.
Regards
Steve Unruh

The way this cold winter weather came on so fast— I am looking forward to and planning on a long “Indian Summer” shortly. TomC