Life goes on - Winter 2015

Merry Christmas to all of you. Be safe and warm today :relaxed:
Happy birthday Chris!

2 Likes

merry Christmas to all the wood junkies on dow. sorry chris you got robed :laughing: but at least I see green there for you to enjoy

3 Likes

Hello all.

The grass is green , the trees have buds the size of squirrel ears . We were at a Christmas event yesterday . No chestnuts were being roasted on an open fire but the air conditioning stayed on all day. Floods and tornadoes all about .

Lost a small portion of my road due to flooding but should be easy fixed .

Some of my wood got wet but have enough dry to drive about 8 - 10 thousand miles :grin:

9 Likes

-8 C (17 F). Snowstorm moving in tomorrow. No buds or green grass expected in another 4-5 months :grimacing:
Suggested wine and grapes on a blanket in front of boilers looking glass to wife. Didn’t get an answer :open_mouth:

5 Likes

Happy belated birthday Chris.
Been real busy here moving snow this past week. Fortunately I only need to take care of half of the 3 mile road.
The 95 F150 with plow has been in the hospital the past week so the tractor has been getting a workout. The truck should be done now and ready to push some snow. I can’t wait to build a garage so I can work on it myself. Another 3" last night. Believe me, I’m not complaining because I actually like this. I get to play on a tractor. How can that be bad?

12 Likes

Hey Wayne, did you have to hide out in your storm cellar in the last day?
Hope you’re all safe.

2 Likes

Good morning Doug.

Had the door open and ready to jump in.

1 Like

Predicting 6-12 inches of snow here for tomorrow winds 15-20 to pile it up. After wards I have to move it
Sounds like Texas and Arkansas are getting it now. Anybody heard from Carl or others down that way?

1 Like

Rain, rain, go away, come again another day!!! Raining hard for 7 hrs, and will continue all night. We’re hi-and-dry, but water is getting deep at “particularly low” places in the county. High water bridges may not be high enough.

2 Likes

Calling for freezing rain all day in my corner of the mitten. I hope no work because of it.
On the bright side, got my little ranger about ready to put on the road. that will let me get more serious on the wood rat.

1 Like

Rough weather in the forecast . High winds and tornado watch . I have taken tractors and trucks out of sheds and barns just in case they come down . Will stay close to the storm pit today .

3 Likes

I hope all you in the south experiencing bad weather will remain safe. For me, the snow and cold is so much easier to deal with.
We will be running out of wood soon and will have to forage for more the woods. I have been throwing some green hard wood on top of the hot coals a couple of times a day to stretch out what I have cut. I’m not sure if that is bad for building up creosote in the chimney or not?
I have some dead Birch trees nearby but not sure if the are rotted. I will cut them down and see.

3 Likes

It will create more creosote. Less if you burn it hot.

5 Likes

How long is this gonna last Wayne? We’re gonna drown. But then, last week I was singing the praises of the so-called warming trend. Fickle I guess. Last night I was kept awake by bull frogs in my aquaculture tanks. It’s almost January. strange weather.

1 Like

Hi BillS
BillyA is correct. If you burn HOT and a bit over aired you will keep the excessive moisture as a vapor, up and out the chimney.
Save your dry to make a glowing hot char bed.
Fine split the non-cured, non-dry to diagonal chriss-crossed on top in smaller, more frequent load adds to NOT wet-wood heat quench.
Over-air blast from under the grate to get that char energy releasing needed.
A small percent of the excessive wood fuel moisture will even in hot char direct contact gasify convert. The rest vaporized and by-by, safe, up and out the chimney as a non-condensed vapor.
DO NOT heat extract out of the chimney doing wet wood! That will make creosote collections with wet wood.

I get ~20% net heating when doing 40% by weight wet wood, when needs-must.
House still warmed. Steve then very warmed too, live cutting all of the extra wood needed going from dry wood 70-80% efficiency to wet wood 20% efficiency! Steve U then very next year motivated having to every ~45 minutes stove tend from sleeping away every 2-6 hours tend.
Give you motivation to really organize/prioritized next summer seasons firewood getting, storing above grasshopper summer playing around. (Not you, Bill. Your helper, sons!)

We Are All On The Road To Better
Steve Unruh

4 Likes

Strange warm winter, no frost in the ground yet, my well pump above ground dog house shed,still dont need a 100 watt light bulb too keep from freezeing,no snow on ground here in mid michigan,then again its only 12-28-15 and we were about due for a warmer winter than the last 4 winters.Stay sheltered,shaded,cool,or warm.I checked out doors and i gess we are getting a bit of a blizzard today, 40 degrees f tomaro.

1 Like

I’m no longer under tornado watch down here. The temperature has dropped 30 degrees from Christmas day. Almost cold enough tonight to blow snow for the girls.

2 Likes

New pup “paks” hes about 3months old now. (German shorthaired pointer)

Bird launcher for bird training

youtube videos of bird launcher working + overview

Hi justin ,neat looking bird through’er, they caint out date that one with the no parts available reply,and it even saved a pile of money, good looking design.

Dogs, and kids. Train them right, and when they grow up, they’ll be fine.

2 Likes