Life goes on - Winter 2016

Yup! Sudden heatwave :sunglasses:
…and…

…second grandchild Valter took the oppertunity to pop out while not so cold :smile:

15 Likes

There is a distributer , it is somewhere in the vicinity of the radio. You probably can’t see it, it is so far back under the windshield. If a Dakota will work for you I may let mine go. Every thing works great but the radio. Very little rust and less than 160,000 miles. Give a call, I lost your # when my phone crashed.

2 Likes

10 likes JO! New generation of woodgasers :smile: we expect one in the summer too :wink:

Oh, l almost forgot. We usualy say “as many years as there are drops”, l think you know what l mean :wine_glass:

4 Likes

10 likes to you too. In this rate DOW will soon be the most common form of transportation :smile:

3 Likes

Congratulations JO :grin:

1 Like

Thanks Wayne,
I hope there will still be vehicles suitable for woodburners when this little fellow grows up.

5 Likes

Couple of projects I completed this fall, practicing putting up pictures. Tracker was bought from salvage yard.Plow on tracker made from water tank,Bobcat is all rebuild,engine, new paint, decals, and made new pins, and bushings for hoe. thumb on bobcat I made from scrap I had.

15 Likes

You’re living my dream! I have a Tracker just the same meant for exactly that project, and for skidding timber. Great work.

2 Likes

It looks like @Wayne suffered almost as bad as his neighbors to the west! ;D

10 Likes

Wow Al, impressive! I really like the plow.

2 Likes

Hey Brian .

Down here if someone spots a snow flake it will cause a panic !!

Also down here we use antifreeze in our vehicles to keep them from boiling over . :sunglasses:

5 Likes

I like the plow and bobcat. I couldn’t tell from the picture does the plow have a wear edge on it? Good thing you don’t live across the road from me .

2 Likes

Tom, I used the edge off of a tractor rear blade.

7 Likes

Looks supream al f i was just thinking the other day of useing the botton side of a fuel oil drum, no need for any bending just other things in the way too clean off. Nice looking spring and hing set up. I had not thought of useing water tank,thats a better option after seeing your build.i made a plow out of my broke snow blower with big tires and chains, it works good up too 4 or 5" other than it pulls like like work horse too hang on too.I sure beats the shovel.

3 Likes

It hit almost 80 F here on sunday. I had to move my truck to the shade to work on it. Snow is something that we see on TV. It is real bad in Oregon though. Even Cood Bay on the coast got a lot of snow. HWY 20, back from the coast by about 20 miles is closed again from avalanches. Bend Or, in the center of the state is way cold. The Hoodoo run up on mt. Bachelor is too snowy to ski. Too many avalanches. The water company can’t make stock runs because it is too cold. It’s quite a mess in Or.

2 Likes

LMAO

This is exactly how i feel sometimes when i have to explain something simple here… (edit, here in Thailand ofcourse )

2 Likes

It is cold this morning. -10 F at 5:20 am so it will still drop more before the sun starts to warm it up. But the bad part is I slept too long it is about 50 F in the house. Getting the two stoves started again now. When it gets this cold it is really hard to heat an old farm house built in 1901. Someday I will have the funds to insulate it and put in new windows for now I just cut more wood.

7 Likes

That reminds me of 25 years ago when we started a family. We rented an old summer cottage for several years and lived there year around. One small bedroom on the 2nd floor. When we got down in the morning we sometimes had 50 F and the bathroom floor had ice on it from yesterday’s showering. I had mounted a small wood stove in the fireplace and a table fan blowing on it. In an hour we had 80 F and the children were relived from their hats.

4 Likes

We were in a similar position when l was a litle boy. We lived in a old house with 2 feet thick walls made out of stones with no insulation and a wood fired boiler capable of heating maybee a dog shed. I and my 2 brothers slept in one bed to keep warm.

But if anything, l am happy l went trugh that. Such things teach you to be humble and respect smallest of things, like comeing home to a warm house with diner on the table.
I actualy miss those days…

6 Likes

I grew up on my parent’s farm, in a yard recently bulldozed out of the forest in a mobile home with an addition built on the side, no running water, water came from a hand pump on the well outside. If you pumped too fast it would overflow, in cold weather like now ice would encase the outside of the pump, which amazed me. Hot water was made on the stove. Our few cattle were watered with water carried in pails to their trough.

The mobile home had a fuel oil heater which wasn’t the most reliable, at times it would go out in the night. I can recall getting up in the morning and finding the dipper in the water pail frozen over. I used to hate stepping on that frozen floor in bare feet. :slight_smile:

Telling that story now sounds like some pioneer tale. I think if the powers that be learned today of children living in a house without running water, or flush toilet they would be demanding changes or remove the children. But the experience gives me perspective and resiliency that people wrapped up in the technological and consumerist web don’t have at all. I suspect that is a common thread through members of this site, people who have different and greater life perspectives that enables stepping outside of the herd.

Regards,

12 Likes