Life goes on - Winter 2016

I think it would be easier to make chunks out of branches then the logs. It is my experience getting wood for a cook stove that if you need small diameter wood it Is actually faster to cut up small stuff then to cut and split it all down to tinny stuff. I ended up saving the big stuff for the wood stove when we had a cook stove running and cutting up the limbs for the cook stove. Seems like the same would be true with chunks. The best thing to do would be to become friends with a contractor who builds houses they have piles of pre cut gasificer fuel they have to get rid of and most people don’t want it because it is too small for a wood stove.

If it were me, a lot of thought would go into my system of fuel prep - that’s what you’re going to be doing regularly if you want to DOW everyday like Wayne or Jan. Playing around with wood gas for fun is different obviously.

Look at Wayne, he’s got wood all over the place, tons of room, heavy equipment, sawmill, wood chunker, and two willing family members to help. It still looks like some pretty serious man hours to keep all those hopper full.

The easier you can collect, handle, and create the chunks, the more viable for the long term wood gas becomes IMHO.

That was a big consideration for me when I started considering wood gas. I can get the wood, but it was not secure, predictable or easy. Straw on the other hand was much easier and predictable. If gasification plans work out, I plan to build a small “line” that starts with a bale on a tractor mounted un-winder and ends in a big tank holding 1000’s of lbs of milled straw. I could “DOS” for decades with a system like that. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Once the straw is dry enough or then i think briskets would be the best for gasification for on road driveing. Tom Yes could be a few things yet too find whitch one is hampering the power. I have some brigeing going on , to fix , and as you said the vacuem gauges and temp gauges are not yet hooked up. Checked both throtel pedals nothing sticking at all.

1 Like

Hey Kevin,
Most of your pics look pretty good, man, don’t cut yourself short for a few fuzzy spots. Congrats on the woodgas success, nice to see.
Pepe

5 Likes

You have to think about available fuel, then how to prep it easily. Then design around that.

I think you are doing great! I love the progress! you might consider just split them with a wood splitter into kindling size then just take the saw and chunk the pieces after they dried out on the woodpile. you might have to tie them up or modify something like this but make it has slits for the size you want. Even pairs 2x4’s on a wooden dowel with a piece of 2x4 separating the pairs would probably work and it could fold up :
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200485188_200485188

2 Likes

Thanks pepe it has been long time getting here and i am happy too feel the power of the wood gas fuel and much cleaner burning than old petro gas or desiel. I gess i am lucky in the respect i like welding things together and make new tools. And i am sold on a wood chunker of any heavy duty type i can build, only really need one big axel or gear box.then just split and dice the wood no lould saws and blades dulling all the time, as with table saws and chain saws. Those little car guys got the right idea for saveing saw time when truck not needed and time or wood not available.I mean its best too have abillity for both types of trassit, you caint beat veriety and choice of trannit, the plants need the co2.too thrive any way as they say. THE WAY THE LEFTIST OR NEW WORLD ORDER ARE ACTING WE MAY BE IN NEED OF TOOLS OF MANY SORTS too help keep a free country.

3 Likes

That’s a really neat cutting rig there. And for $50 It’s hardly worth making yourself. You could spend that much on materials and it would end up heavier.

With the exception of this practical minded group, it’s my observation that most people don’t need a truck at all. At most they might need a car with a tow hitch and a utility trailer. I could haul more with my 1.6L Toyota Echo than you would want to put in your new full sized Ford. Less insurance, far less fuel. And if you look in the box of most new pickups, not even a scratch. So why do they have them?

5 Likes

You need the pickup truck to haul your 4 wheeler on the weekend. Or to tailgate at the football game. :grin:
Of course you find out that most people decide life keeps them too busy for the 4 wheeler anyway.
You are right there are alot of pickup trucks out there that are little better then a big car for the use they get. Good thing I have a farm and can justify mine…

I used to think this too. But, if you look in the backyards of these truck owners, there’s usually a boat, 5th wheel camper, horse trailer, or toy hauler. That’s not counting the ones people justify as “work” trucks, because they may need to tow something for work, like a tool trailer or flatbed for equipment.

I’m not saying they’re always justified, but towing is a real thing, and a lot of clean looking trucks do get used for it, on occasion.

BTW that little Toyota will die an early death if you tow any weight with it. It’s only rated for 1500lbs, personally I’d stay under 800.

3 Likes

I believe the Toyota is officially rated for 700 lbs, but for occasional use, or a slow speed haul in town or short run to the dump, a thousand or more is fine. That’s already more than average suburban folks ever use a truck for, but they still have them… Especially the ones with the 5 1/2’ boxes make me really wonder. More wear and tear, sure, but for normal "non working " people, i don’t get it. Regarding 4 wheelers, or snowmobiles, far easier to load and unload from a trailer.

3 Likes

Actually I never had trouble with a 4 wheeler and a ramp. I did see my best buddy jack knife his on a trailer behind his Durango though…

Right, but I was thinking it would be a pain to keep moving the wood over since you need several cuts per load. so you put multiple slots in it. It might pinch (maybe strap it in one place?), but for the kindling sized pieces it probably won’t be too bad. you could also use it to make the pie pieces. The kindling size pieces will stack better waiting for processing though.

I’ve hauled my old Honda 350 ES (600 lbs) behind my wife’s 08 Civic several times, no problem. Even camping, 4 people in the car, trailer loaded for bear - ran out of power before the suspension or hitch became a problem. Even then only on hilly parts of the 401 trying to go up long hills at 130 with the AC blasting :).

I don’t bag on folks for what they drive, but I’ve known people with big honking trucks used primarily for commuting purposes that bummed rides into work when gas shot north of 1.40/L in 06/07, now there is a problem…

3 Likes

Well, yeah. Back in my gone minimalist younger days I did well I thought evolving down to a MG1100. This down from a 1500cc Volvo. Over the years gravitated back up slowy to more practical. VW watercooled 1500cc, Saab 1600cc, eventaully a Honda CRV 2000cc. All four people w/luggage capable. None towed well, safely.
The wifes insisted Plymouth minvan 3.3L V-6 could carry 5 people, luggage AND tow 1500 pounds easily, safely. (or two of us, three big dogs, luggage and tow the 1500 pound loaded tent trailer) It could swallow 4x8 sheets of building panels. 10 foot lengths of stuff too.
But you know the 94 Ford F150 2wd 5.0L V-8 pickup is the one that has handled 2200 pounds of 20 foot saw boards. 2400 pounds of fire wood blocks. 2400 pounds of 50 miles one way loads of property polluting lease left tire piles. All these on it’s back with no trailer backing, parking problems.
And It can tow, haul the dogs; and when I’m driving get 20 miles per gallon overall driving. County roads to hyway speeds.
Can legally accommodate 3 adults; or two adults and two kids. Ha! Standard cab it fails the four people and their luggage specs. “Space-cab”, four door/two seat pickups will not on their backs haul long and heavy and still get 20 MPG.

Fortunately here in the US and Canada we still aren’t legally, socially blocked from having practical choices. Still the attitude you pay for your choice. Pay and you still do have choices.
Not like Japan, too much of Asia, and growing segments of Europe. Your choices are taken away by those claiming to know better for you. That giving you choice allows you to avoid your “social obligations”.

I choose individuality and freedom “excesses” over collective social dictocrats not-wisdom’s restrictions any time, any day.
J-I-C

8 Likes

Lol, that’s about it in a nutshell. There are many who see freedom and choice as “evil”. Don’t forget, they know what’s best for you, and everyone else.

I’m glad I’m a rural fellow who in reality, still has choices no matter what the legislators decide is best for me…

3 Likes

I really think we need a thread fully devoted too tini car working model best idea plans, maybe chris and Wayne will start a new book on 1.6 and smaller on best techneqe , and design too operate tare free. Or we will have too use what ever is out on tini car experiance too build from.I am sure it would be worth it too lots of limited wood resourse would be builders. PS on another note i drove down a road 20 miles the way i havent been in 10 years and found a saw mill guy that has graet deal on pine slab wood,35.00$ for 1 and half fedetal cord , and got enough saw blades for more odd jobs builds.plus free smaller slab rows too pick throuth ready too slice truck fuel, And. He is interested in the art of driveing with wood.

7 Likes

Few trucks are bought to do legitimate work, I would be ok with purchase requiring justification (contractor, farmer, etc). Too many trucks out there being used as tax write offs and corporate perks or status symbols, not a scratch, speck of mud, or grass stalk hanging from them.

The best truck I ever had was a Mazda B2200 extended cab, got more use and work per gallon from it than anything else. :slight_smile: Nice to be able to wind down the passenger side window without risking life and limb too, and park anywhere.

4 Likes

Wow I can’t wait to see what Steve has to say about that level of big brother.

2 Likes

a lot of the smaller engines are using charcoal because it eliminates the tar issue upfront.

1 Like