Life goes on - Winter 2018

Plus it takes a while for a guy to toughen up. By January you and the cattle will be feeling a day like today is an early sign of spring… :smiley:

1 Like

I’ve been all over nebraska, i own a place on ks neb border…

True enough but normal around here when it is clear the air is dry not raw normally raw weather is overcast.

Well I must have toughened up over dinner because when I went out now it was only 13F but didn’t feel nearly as bad as it did today. Crystal clear night sky and as I put the half gallon of hot water in the waterer to keep it from freezing tonight there wasn’t a single cow in the barn and it actually felt warmer then it did all day. Back to the normal dry biting cold. Not the raw bone chilling cold. Lol

2 Likes

LoL…Sure sign of self delusion.:grin:

No, just kidding around…I spent all day yesterday laying in freezing rain/mud welding a new barrel under a vermeer chipper. I really need a wider door in the shop so I can get out of the weather. … That’s probably a big difference in winter here and up north. Everyone there prepares for it. Here we try to ignore it and the little bit we have comes around to bight us. our construction, our lack of snow equipment, ect. Logic is always that the benefit doesn’t outweigh the cost. That is true, until the day you have to lay in the freezing mud welding all day…hahaha Sounds like we are the ones suffering from self delusion…:grin:

8 Likes

Cold weather is one thing, being cold no one is good with.

That’s where good clothes and good boots etc (or warm shop buildings) make all the difference.

Let it snow, let it snow… :smiley:

5 Likes

Take it easy on the snow I end up spending the next day clearing it out in a tractor with no cab.
Atleast until I am able to fix my big case 5240.

3 Likes

Not cold enough and not enough snow yet to be able to get into the misery contest :smile:

8 Likes

We have just enough snow now to take the grandchildren out and sled them down our long driveway. Ha ha, this is fun the 3 kids say, as I’m pulling them up the hill for the third time. My body is getting a good work out and that is needed.
I have decided to go back to teaching at Mission Ridge Ski/Snowboarding Resort after a 4 year break. I mentioned it to the assistant supervisor when I was up there. He call the Supervisor and she said hire Bob now. I might even get my old title position back as TD (training director) of Snowboarding and the same pay level. I didn’t expect that at all. A lot of people just have to go out work in the snow and it may be no fun at all. I go out and work in it… having fun doing it. I love to teach.
Bob

5 Likes

Not sure where the request was posted, but Bill, I think you asked for this a long time ago. This is Jakob puffing some wheat at our last training for the University of Alabama @ Birmingham.

5 Likes

What the heck happened here??? Is this what l think it is? I need to know more! :smile:

6 Likes

Looks like Quaker Puff Wheat is really shot from cannons. ??? TomC

2 Likes

I have only seen this done with pop corn. YES, give us more details so we can play too.

3 Likes

It is essentially a pressure cooker.

1 Like

This technology is centuries old in China. Based on cast iron technology and street vendors. Hats off to them…

5 Likes

You put grain in a sealed canister, heat it to your desired pressure and then rapidly decompress so the water and oils in the kernels of grain exit the grain rapidly. and then you have “puffed” grain instead of kernel grain. The best pressure for our wheat berries is about 160psi, rice takes 150-175, different seeds and grains take different pressures… Don’t stand in front of it. It’s got quite a bit of concussive force headed out the front end. And turn off your hearing aids…

8 Likes

If you come for a visit we’ll let you do it yourself Kristijan…:open_mouth:

8 Likes

Damn now l have a nother project on my project list :smile: l suspect l shuld extend my stay in the US :smile:

7 Likes

If you run the system correctly, you may just need a one-way ticket. It might have enough explosive force to put a one man rocket on it to get you back. I would highly recommend acquiring some serious safety devices like goggles, scarf and a leather helmet.

4 Likes

Got home from work and shut down my gasifier only to find another gasifier lightning up on my kitchen table. A neighbour of mine left a newspaper article he thought might be of interest to me.
The article says this gasifier was named “Pivot”. A prototype was launched by Volvo already 1939 when WW2 started and by the end of 1940 3,727 gasifiers were sold. A 300 liter (80 gallon) hopper made it possible to drive 250-350 km (150-210 miles). The car in the pic is a Volvo PV 654, often used as taxis at the time.
Anyone heard of the “Pivot”? I’ve seen pics of it but for some reason I’ve never heard or read the name of the brand.

15 Likes