Life goes on - Winter 2018

That thing could supply a small village both electric and heat. I would quit work right away and sign up as the operator :smile:
I remember seeing that company advertising Stirlings as well.

4 Likes

I’m impressed that they have put it out there as a refined commercial product. Imagine the sensor and software system they have to run that reliably.

The physical construction and design will be top notch to handle the continuous running. I was looking at a different German log wood stove, the grate and hearth area is made entirely of silicon carbide! That’s taking things to a German level of perfection… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

JO are they the same company that had a small sterling built into a oil furnace and you where supposed to be able to buy just the engine for a wood stove? I tried to buy one of those a couple of years back now and at the time they wouldn’t sell to the USA. I think the company I tried to buy from is out of business now or atleast not making that product.

2 Likes

Here are pictures of the gas works in Seattle, Washington. They are no longer used, and they have made a big park to visit. It was coal gasification.

This is the biggest gasification units I have ever see up close.

These gasifiers made a lot of coal gas when they were in operation.

Dana and Marjie by the smaller vessels.
The over head piping that connected everything has been removed.

From what I understand this was in operation at the turn of the century.
In 1956 it ceased in operation.

Bob

15 Likes

I think so, yes. I remember a generator attached. It was rated 750W electric output at 500C.

3 Likes

Gray and rainy weather has returned to my little corner of the world, which is what we pass off as winter around here. It seems like fitting weather then to throw a log on the fire, and settle in for the first annual Farm Week, where the idea is to eat only produce from the farm. I am not farming with charcoal… yet, but I do intend to make at least some progress this winter, I promise!

I threw together some of the things we grew and preserved this year, and while not exhaustive, it is pretty representative.

Also, anyone who can identify all the items in the photo wins a free dinner for two!*

[spoiler]*Airfare to and from Oregon not included.[/spoiler]

8 Likes

Fun fun fun! A nice stash you got there! I cant enlarge the picture but here it goes:

Potato, sweet potato, corn (popcorn l belive), wallnuts, oats, flour, pumpkin seeds?, brocoli, carrots, hazelnuts, beans, onion, garlic, rosemary, apples, butternut, pumpkin, tomato, zukini, and next to the pumpkin are l belive what we call Ande berrys, or wulf apples, physalys peruvia?

Ha, canned things are difficuld :smile: tomato sauce is easy, next is what seems to be green beens or pepperonni, salsa, and the yelow thing might be dendelion syrup. The white stuff maybee starch?

4 Likes

I see a “flint” flour corn, and the Andes berries I would call sand cherries.

Is there honey, and is that laurel / bay leaf under the rosemary?

Looks like a good haul anyways.

2 Likes

I see yummy edibles. Do I win? I think they all fit that category. LOL
Great collection at any rate even if I can’t identify everything in the bottles.

3 Likes

You have a good eye for your solanaceae, those are indeed ande berries (we call them ground cherries around here). The white powder is sea salt, that quantity came out of about 3 gallons of sea water. The yellow liquid next to the poppyseeds and below the pumpkin seeds is safflower oil.

It is supposedly popcorn, but if it makes you feel any better, it doesnt seem to want to pop :grinning:

Well, you are pretty close, although technically I feel like the blackberry cider, wine and brandy would be considered beverages.

Good guesses all around, though!

4 Likes

Food, containers and a table.

3 Likes

Congratulations, you win! I will send you a handful of seeds, and you can start assembling your dinner. What is your USDA agricultural zone?

1 Like

I’m 5b, but if I was going to get any plants from oregon, it would be myrtlewood or noble fir trees, which supposedly only grow on the west coast. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Somebody mentioned on a build thread about next years meetup. I will follow up here. There was some talk at this springs gathering about moving it around to give more people a chance to attend nearer home.
I will throw out this suggestion for discussion. If it is decided to stay at Argos in following years, I think it would be nice to have it on the same weekend every year like many other organizations do. This would allow us to reserve the facility well ahead and also plan for and request time off work well in advance.

4 Likes

Cool picture, i like those kinds of pictures with such godliness.

2 Likes

The frame has just been finished, but still a lot of finishes

8 Likes

Well another wind storm another power outage. The best part of our power grid here in the USA I am the end of the line for one company and my neighbor is powered from the opposite end if the street just 2 light poles from my service. Mh power goes out but theirs doesn’t couldn’t get any clearer sign of poor mantaince. I mean it shouldn’t be any harder for my power company to get power to my light pole then their power company to get power to the other pole only 2 poles down the street. I can’t switch companies because there is a town line at my property line. And this happens a lot.

5 Likes

Looks good, you caint get too many buildings when winter starts flying in.

3 Likes

If you drove your wood powered vehicle to your polling place to vote today , raise your hand .

IMG_0655

16 Likes

Washington State has gone to a mail in system.
Back when we actually posted our own ballots it was at the schools, never saw one at a church before
That could cause an issue with “separation of church and government”

2 Likes