Life goes on - Winter 2018

Same here Garry but l aquired a good big guard dog. He is crazy on any animal that wants to enter his teritory. Althugh he does take a tax of a rabbit now and then…

5 Likes

The dog isn’t taxing you he is just self feeding saving you some work. That is how I have to look at my calves stealing hay out of my pile. One thing is for sure those little guys won’t go hungry.

3 Likes

While on predators… traditional ones here are foxes, hawks and martens. Wolfs and bears on our southern land. But last year a big change happend. We witnessed a migration of jackals from souther lands and last month a couple was seen by our neighbor, l allso lost a buck rabbit to a beast l dunt was my dog. He likes young 2 month old rabbits, eats them whole slowly from toe to head in his sleeping area. This one was a old buck, l found him in the midle of the road with only his brains, ass and inards eaten. Allso the dog acted wierd on the time of the murder.

https://www.google.com/search?q=šakal&client=ms-android-samsung&prmd=imvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi0u9usydTgAhWjposKHfmpDWUQ_AUoAXoECA4QAQ&biw=360&bih=560

3 Likes

Sounds like zombies. I forget do silver bullets work on zombies. Sorry I couldn’t resist but that is a very weird way for something to eat it. Some of the vouchers will pick out the most nutritious parts and leave the rest. Maybe the buck was killed by traffic and something like crows liked those bits?

1 Like

I am preety sure zombies are not in our country yet. Exept our politics :smile:

A roadkill is out of the question since thats a driveway to our farm, max 6 car passes per day. The bone on the skull had toothmarks on. All signs show on a big powerfull predator atack but it doesent look like my dog did it and there are no dogs visiting our property. Strange

2 Likes

If I found that here I would say its a member of the weasel family. Generally they seem to like draining them of blood and eating the tender bits. Weasel, ferret, Fisher etc…

4 Likes

Well having a member of that family around is a good way to get rid of most of the small vermin. My grandfather always said he hoped one would come to drive off the rats when we had the cows. Then at one point something in that family must have become in about 1 weeks time there where no rats to be found. We tried poison about a year before and they would eat 6 entire boxes of decon a night with no real noticeable drop in the rat population for almost 4 months straight.

1 Like

Waking up from a nightshift and go sit on the porch in my underwear in February??? I don’t think I’ve ever experienced that before.

5 Likes

No snow here, you can leave your coat off. But you may want hip waders.

More photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/pZaeQBnZsiPLuB3z7

This is the downside of living near the Kentucky River. Sometimes it gets too big for its britches.

lptk2_hg

11 Likes

I get 2 floods per year here as well. My advice is make a mental map of where the flood leaves stuff each year and you will quickly learn where to look for damage or cleanup after it is over. It isn’t fun what you find a big log or hole in the middle of your path mowing tall grass.
Great photos right now I enjoy knowing the world won’t always be white. We are at 14 F with crazy high winds today here.

3 Likes

Hopefully Chris the blue line showing the accrual observed kcps flow will follow the forecast black dotted line down on the chart sooner and not go any higher.
Bob

1 Like

Here is a man that grows his own toilet paper. Starts at about 9:00 minute marker.

5 Likes

Turns out my tiny house is a mansion, I guess everything’s relative

5 Likes

Southern folks, maybe get your jackets on, and sit near the fire…

Hard to get a decent shot of ground drifting snow. Mesmerizing. Takes a good wind, and fairly cold.

7 Likes

Snow where is the snow that looks like bare ground there aren’t any snow banks on the side of your road… what did they put that road about 3 meters off the ground or something? Lol
But now that you mention it I do need to put some wood in the stove it has cooled off and I can hear the stove cooling down click click of stone shrinking as it cools.

3 Likes

The ditches and the fields are fairly filled with snow, though they do dig the ditches deep to catch the drifts. This is fairly arid country compared to out east. The only reason its decent farm land is because when it’s frozen moisture loss is minimal. But with a good enough wind it just snakes along the ground anyways. Towards Winnipeg it had closed the highways a couple days ago, big plow ridges in that country.

3 Likes

This looks like the Moses Lake area where I grew up in Grant County Washington. Deep ditches on both sides on the highways and farm land roads with snow drifting every where, if you drive off the highway your vehicle will be so deep into the snow that you can not open your doors to get out. Open your widows to get out and snow coming into the vehicle.
Bob

3 Likes

Jeff, for some reason I am fascinated by the “Tiny House” movement. Kirsten Dirksen has a really fair and balanced YouTube channel that specializes in the subject.

The practical me notices that most of these are in mild climate zones. Me thinks they would not be so good in very cold, windy weather or in hurricane season. A mobile home in a tornado would seem like a fortress compared to these! Some of the semi-underground models make more sense in harsh weather.

3 Likes

Dam-it Mike; I love the idea of a tiny house although at my age I won’t ever act on it— BUT, you just laid out about 7 or 8 hours of reading. :angry: TomC

5 Likes

Actually Mike, the tiny homes are small enough that with 2x4, R12 wall insulation, R20 ceiling insulation, heating shouldn’t be much of an issue.

The way many are built on a trailer deck isn’t so great, unless they do 2x6 floor minimum filled with insulation. The details will make it, careful sealing of vapour barrier with acoustic seal.

3 Likes