Life goes on - Winter 2018

Mike, I agree, up north it would have to be large enough for a kitchen and bath room. Doable. Every tiny house has to be designed for the location and the individual/s living in it.

I had planned on building one but now it is rather doubtful.

2 Likes

Its sorta funny seeing the whole “southern boys grab your coats” and vice versa, because in the twilight zone that is Indiana it was 57F yesterday,and on Sunday we will get 3-5 Inches of snow.

5 Likes

Now here is a solution for extra woodgas power. Just add a nother engine or two :smile:

https://youtu.be/zSVJFfVXip0

6 Likes

Thanks for the video Kristijan.

That guy in the clip should get in the DOW business , I think he would do fine.

Sometime I forget just how big my motor is in my old work truck . It equals 6 of the motors shown in the video .

4 Likes

Had to do some digging today. The wire going down my well broke last night. I have a new pressure switch new guage new controller box and new pump and new wire. Man I am happy I had the tractor to dig out that snow pile to get to the well which was just on the back side of the pile.

6 Likes

Hello Dan ,

Sorry about the well pump :worried:

I don’t want to rub salt on the wound but while out DOW today I snapped this pic. Also nearby I saw a feller mowing his yard .

IMG_0766

10 Likes

I don’t think I will have to mow my lawn anytime soon. The one good thing about the pump going is my cows could just eat snow last night and this morning and be perfectly happy. When I fed them tonight I had to thaw out there waterer it took about 20 minutes with a heat gun but when I got done they where too interested in the hay to even bother checking out their water. If this had been mid summer I would have had a real problem on my hands.

4 Likes

What to do about the younger generation?
Grandchildren visiting. Wife making pancakes on the wood stove. Agnes 4, says she prefer electric pancakes ???
We had a good laugh when realising it had to do with what stove to use :smile: Of course Agnes was given a nuclear pancake, while her little brother was perfectly happy with his POW (pancake on wood).

11 Likes

Some day Agnes will look back and tell her friends, 'my grandma use to cook pancakes on a stove that ran by wood". Instead of opening the refrigerator, taking them out and microwaving them. Fridgerater and micro will probably be obsolete by then though. “And guess what my grandpa truck ran on instead of electricity?” TomC

5 Likes

I think this is the last day of this. -20f -29C. I have snow up to my waist in the woods.
I’m getting antsy to make maple and birch syrup.

6 Likes

Good morning Mr. Bill

I put my coat and hat on before looking at your thermometer picture.

It is 50F here this morning and I am waiting until it warms up a little before getting out in it. :grinning:

4 Likes

We should get our last frost after the first week of June. I can plant my gardens then.

3 Likes

Still cold here today, it was minus 30C in the wee hours, windchill warning, so I think you have a bit more cold coming yet.

2 Likes

50F my house wasn’t that warm when I got up this morning… I think my fire went out about midnight and I never work up to put more wood in.

2 Likes

First week in June, ouch! I’ve been lucky here, usually mid may is
pretty safe. I’m surrounded by huge bodies of water that tend to help
with abating the cold. St. Lawrence river 30 or so miles north and
Lake Champlain 10 or so miles to the east.

4 Likes

Same same. We call the nights of the first week of June “the iron nights”. When they’ve passed we’re supposed to be safe from frost.

2 Likes

We are having our typical March weather, 60f 2 days ago, 30f today 4’’ of snow. Our last frost middle May.

3 Likes

More rain than we can measure. We are about to lose all our fruit this year. Nectarines, etc are blooming but hard frost coming after the rain. But the garden is up andDSCN9636DSCN9635DSCN9634DSCN9633 going. Kale, peas, radishes, lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, beets, turnips, and onions are all coming on fast.

We are making kimchi tomorrow with what is left from the winter garden now that the garlic is usable.

Better than your snow, but I do dread the cold coming as we have gotten more soft and spoiled than usual with the mild winter this year.

8 Likes

Bummer about the frost taking out your fruit that always sucks when the blossoms come out too early.

3 Likes

According to a Birmingham Alabama weather station the temperature never dropped to freezing in the month of February . However they have predicted a couple of days next week to be freezing and below .

3 Likes