Life goes on - Winter 2018

Same here. Its crazy hot for this time of year. Short sleve weather while this time last year we had snow up to our private parts.

Billy, culd you plese explain how you make kimchi? I have loads of turnips still on the feald…

1 Like

Wayne did you have any wind damage in your area

1 Like

Good morning Robert and thanks for asking.

There were tornadoes about 100 miles south of me and just south of Auburn university . The tornado was at or very near the test track that we used to test the fuel efficacy on the gasifier and dakota .

8 Likes

No shortage of wood in alibama this time of year, thank god he spared Wayne Keith from the tornatos, If i ever move south for retirement years i want too have a basement or birm house with steel beam roof rafters too minumize storm damage rebuilds.Hopefully billy alabama is ok from the storms.This might be a bad year for tornatos.

3 Likes

Glad your ok Wayne Prays for the family’s that got hit.

3 Likes

Thanks Robert and Kevin .

Before I built my house I made a storm shelter of 100% steel 1/4 inch ( 8’ wide 12’ long 6’ tall ) and put it in the ground . Then built the house on top of it. It also has emergency escape routs just in case the house comes down on it .

11 Likes

It’s been a while since Steve Unruh has chimed in. Hello Steve, how’s
the weather treating you? It’s strange that all the XXXX weather that hit our
little corner of NE NY , only dumped about 2 inches on us. I hope the weathermaker
doesn’t think I missed him! Gonna start some tomato seeds tonite. Not gonna have
much garden this year. Going to do more fishing with my sweetheart :yum:
Well, I hope all is good with you, man.
Pepe

4 Likes

I thought about you, Wayne. Glad you were out of the path of destruction. Sounds like you are as prepared as you can be should a tornado strike.

4 Likes

Yes Pepe, @SteveUnruh, Steve has been in my thoughts, and prayers. also @gasman, Max we miss your input on this DOW site. We would love to hear from you. If anyone else would like to add names of people that they have not heard from for a while. Post them here or PM them. It is good to check in on our fellow members in the DOW family.
Bob

6 Likes

I miss Doug Drost . Haven’t heard from him in a while :disappointed_relieved:

6 Likes

We use chinese cabbage (napa) and daikon radishes and elephant garlic some kind of Korean pepper fish sauce, salt, and rice flour. I will have to get back to you on the recipe. We didn’t actually get to it today. We had a barn order come in. Some of our customers got blown away by the tornado down in Auburn area. Some buildings we have built blew away. 28 dead so far I think. Some missing.

1 Like

Praying for those who have lost love ones.
Bob

3 Likes

I have tried to contact Max Gasman several times. A couple of times by E-mail through DOW and then one time through regular E-mail. His regular E-mail address was under what I think is his actual name so I had a time looking it up in my old files. Haven’t heard in any case. I am really concerned. TomC.

6 Likes

Hi Tom,
Thanks for the update. I’m sure we all share your concern.
Pepe

3 Likes

Yes Tom, the same here. It is very unusual that Max has not been on the DOW site. I have had him in my thoughts and prayers. He did mention that his computer was having issues running Fire Fox. But I would thing he would lets know by other means if he could not use his computer any more. E-mail addresses work great if we are on line with the computer other wise a good old fashioned mailing address or phone number is a better back up.
@Chris, or @Wayne, Is there a way we can contact him by mail? Not sure if he speaks English for calling him by phone.
Thank you Tom for trying his personal e-mail address.
I really miss his input and insight and mathematics of proven design that have always worked in the field of gasification.
I wish we had someone close by that could go and check on him to see if everything is okay.
Like with me, @mggibb Michael Gibb is close by and could call Dana and vise versa.
Bob

6 Likes

This illustrates the trouble with electronic communication and forums. If anything happens to a person, they can just suddenly be gone. Facebook is another one. A good friend of mine died a few years ago, his profile is still up. Nobody had access to it. Bothers me every time I see it.

Things like passwords or access, and what to do should probably be set in a will or health care directive. Most of us aren’t spring chickens. :wink: Look at the news about Luke Perry, huge surprise for all.

6 Likes

Hope to hear from Steve and Max soon. I was wondering what happened since Max didnt post for about 2 months? Hope he is ok…
I ordered my wife if l get struck by lightning or something like that you guys will be informed :wink: nothing worse thain not knowing…

11 Likes

Hi Kristijan,
I agree 100%, man and have told my wife the same thing. I truly feel the
years have brought us together in spirit. It really is quite moving when we feel
someone’s presence is more than something written in a response.
Pepe

4 Likes

Sorta on this latest topic:
We just had our wills and stuff updated. I asked the lawyer “what arrangements do people make about their (non commercial) website and youtube channel when they die?” He said that no one had ever asked that question before.
I guess that, when I go and my successors stop paying for my hosting service, the website will just dissappear. But what about websites that are hosted for free? Youtube channels are free, so then what?

Pete Stanaitis

2 Likes

It is possible. My wife passed away 18 months ago. For Facebook you apply to the admin and provide an obituary or death certificate and they set you up as the executor. You then choose to have the account taken down or memorialized for people to view… I kind of liked that so that is what I did. I’m sure people will figure it out with time. People who are raised with it will set up account info and passwords either in wills or trusted friends. My understanding is most of the major services have something similar.
David

9 Likes