Life goes on - Winter 2018

I am so sorry to hear that. Hope you and kids go trugh this fine. My wife lost her mother when she was 6, it leaves a deep scar

6 Likes

I’m so sorry David. I didn’t know.

I wasn’t going to mention, but a dear member of our family left us the other day. He’s been with us for 10+ years and seemed perfectly healthy until the very end.

RIP Svante

6 Likes

David ,

So sorry to hear of your loss .

3 Likes

much appreciated all.

5 Likes

Good morning Mr. Bob .

If I knew Max real name I could attempt to track him down.

3 Likes

Mr. Wayne; I believe I have it but he never really publicized it so I hesitate to post it. If you think you have some way of tracking him down send me an E- and I will give you his name and E-mail. TomC

2 Likes

David, I hope and pray the passing of your wife and the sadness will be healed for you and for all the family members.
Bob

3 Likes

Tom, I’ve emailed a couple folks and Max directly. Waiting to hear anything. Hope he’s OK.

7 Likes

Sorry to hear about the above losses. I keep two folders. One has financial information like bank accounts, 401k information ans etc… The other is computer stuff like passwords for emails and what ever. Oh, also my cellphone and computer passwords. When I change a password I try to remember to update the folder. It was on the news about making arrangement for web pages.

4 Likes

Good news, weather predicted for next week, above freezing temperatures into the high 40 * f and lows above freezing. Rain instead of snow. It has been snowing all day here. This might be the last of the H2O it coming down in the white stuff. Rainbows are on their way and coming to the central part of Washington State.
Bob

4 Likes

Same here, our long nap might be over!

2 Likes

Don’t calculate your juvenile poultry before they are fully materialized. I’ve seen 6 inches of snow in June. :roll_eyes: TomC

7 Likes

Kimchi recipe as requested:

2 very large bowls
1 large head napa cabbage, about 2 ½ to 3 lbs.
1/4 cup (4 tbsp) kosher or sea salt
1 1/2 cup water
1/4 cup sweet rice flour (also called mochiko flour, or chapssal garu) (optional, see below)*
1/2 cup pureed or minced garlic
1 tbsp pureed or minced ginger
1/2 cup pureed or minced onion
1/2 cup fish sauce
1 1/4 cup gochugaru (Korean hot pepper powder), or more or less depending on your spice preference
4-5 green onions, sliced into two-inch pieces
1/4 cup julienned carrot (optional)
1-2 leeks, sliced into two-inch pieces (optional)
Trim off the discolored outer leaves of the napa cabbage. Slice into fourths, remove the core, and chop into bite-sized pieces. Wash thoroughly.
Soak the pieces of cabbage in cold water, drain, and place into one of the two large bowls. Your next task is to make sure that each piece of cabbage is salted. In order to do this, I worked in batches, putting the cabbage batch by batch into the second bowl and salting each as I went. I used at least 1/4 cup of salt for one head of napa cabbage, if not a bit more.
After salting, the kimchi will need to wilt in the salt for the next 1 ½ to 2 hours. Every 30 minutes, turn the cabbage over to salt evenly. I just transferred the cabbage from one bowl to the other every 30 minutes.
After 1 1/2 hours, the cabbage should have shrunken to about half the size it was originally. Rinse the cabbage in cold water several times (I did it in batches in a smaller bowl) to clean it thoroughly, then drain. At this point, taste it to make sure it’s salted enough. If it’s not salty at all, you may need to add more salt and let it soak for a bit longer.
Next, make the porridge. Combine 1 1/2 cups of water and 1/4 cup sweet rice flour in a small pot over high heat and bring it to a boil. Keep stirring until the porridge makes thick bubbles – about three to five minutes – then take it off the heat and set aside to cool.
Once the porridge is cool, add 1/2 cup of fish sauce, 1 1/4 cups of gochugaru (depending on your taste), 1/2 cup of minced garlic, 1 tbsp of minced ginger, and 1/2 cup of minced onion to the porridge and mix thoroughly. You can also purée the garlic, ginger, and onion together in a blender or food processor before adding.
Add the green onions and carrot and mix thoroughly. You can also add leek if you have it.
Finally, pour the kimchi paste over the drained cabbage and mix by hand until all pieces are well-coated. (Again, I did it in batches.) Finally, store in airtight glass or plastic containers. The kimchi will need to ferment at room temperature for at least 24-48 hours before it is ready to eat. You will know when it’s ready when the lid pops when you open it and you can see bubbles rising to the surface. (It’ll also announce itself with a very strong smell.) If you want to eat fermented kimchi right away, go ahead and leave it at room temperature right after jarring it. If you’d like to keep some for later, put it straight into the fridge without letting it ferment at room temperature. Then, when you’re ready to eat, take it out and let it sit at room temperature for the required time. It will likely only take one day, rather than two, depending on how long it’s been in the fridge.
*If you don’t have sweet rice flour, it’s fine – all the flour does is help create a porridge to more evenly distribute and infuse the kimchi paste flavor. Just replace the mochiko flour with 1 tbsp sugar to make up for the sweetness

We don’t usually have any real garlic, so we use more elephant garlic, which is technically a leek.
I recommend the rice flour, it really helps. Also the pepper is a little too much for most people. And the optional carrots do make it better I think. And I like it heavy on salt. But all of that is personal preferences. And it can be kept in a refrigerator for a long time. We are still eating some of last year’s batch. It gets a little stronger over time.

5 Likes

You seen thirty inches last April if I remember right😒

Thank you Billy! Wow this is conciderably more complex thain sauerkraut we make. Just slice the cabbage in wery thin strips, salt 2% and compress in airtight buckets. Takes longer to ferment thugh.

3 Likes

No daikon radish? You can also add minced shrimp, or shrimp paste, and blended anchovy. And the list just goes on from there really. A buddy has a friend married and living in Korea, he says basically what you have at hand is fair game.

Bok choi is even nicer in some ways than Napa cabbage. A friend of mine who I recently introduced to the concept has made an outstanding kimchi based on red cabbage, garlic, ginger, onion, clove, jalapeño peppers, and possibly a few other things. I can get details if someone is interested. Amazing colour and flavour, a bit reminiscent of Mexican rajas de jalapeño.

Gotta love lactic acid fermentation. And a great pro-biotoc.

3 Likes

Right, I bragged about sunbathing in my underwear the other day. Back to -19 last night :rage:

5 Likes

Yup my winter coping strategies go like this:
“what a beautiful sunny day!” To mask the fact it was -26C this morning
or:
“It sure is warming up!” When its gone up to -5 is dreary with 15cm of snow in the forecast…

Gotta stay positive I say (that works most of the time)

9 Likes

I have made a simplified version of kimchi in the past, and it is awfully good no matter what you put in there. I also feel like it stores better than kraut. I find that if I leave kraut in the fridge for too long, it eventually gets soft and mushy and doesnt taste as good. I have left kimchi in the fridge for over a year, and it was still great. I should probably plant some napa cabbage seeds…

2 Likes

The other must have in kimchi is dried seaweed, great flavour and thickener.

1 Like