Life goes on - Winter 2023

The mosfets are more efficient then diodes. There is a caveat to using them and I forgot what that was. Probably something to do with leakage. It appears they are used a lot for AC coupling. So it rectifies it, then it immediately adds to it to another AC input so the waves match with another set of mosfets.

But you are correct, you have to find the right inverter.

3 Likes

Hey Kristijan

Have you ever moped out a grass fire :grinning:

15 Likes

Mr Wayne, l have not. But l have put it out with beer before, once it run trugh the kidneys first :smile:

16 Likes

I’m no electrical engineer and I haven’t a clue about the subject, but couldn’t a charger monitor battery voltage and disconnect when a certain voltage is reached? Isn’t this how an automotive alternator works? I have car batteries that have lasted for years, even with some moderate abuse.

5 Likes

AT&T outage today. Guess I won’t be posting during work hours while on break!

5 Likes

Martin, here is a sketch of the regulation of the synchronous generator, I used a 24V car alternator regulator, which directly excites the rotor magnet to maintain the voltage,… it would be good to install a three-phase choke on the output of the generator, which would smooth out the “shaggy” sinusoidal voltage.

7 Likes

Some chargers do work that way, and are safer for batteries. The difficulty is keeping a battery charged. Batteries will loose charge on their own, over time (self-discharge). Lead-acid will do this more than LIFePo, but all will eventually. You can design the charger to turn back on when its voltage drops to a preset level. The harder task is to make sure the battery is always fully charged (important for an uninterruptible power supply), or keep the battery charged even under load (off-grid solar, car or truck). Cars are a good example. You always have some draw on the battery, The alternator needs to supply this, without letting the battery discharge or overcharge. You need just the right voltage, which depends on the individual battery chemistry, and temperature of the battery. Sometimes it works just right and the battery lasts a long time. Sometimes you toast the battery. If you watch for a while (or your charger does), you may be able to dial it in. Can take time, and not everybody can take time.

6 Likes

Something something, solar flair, cyber attack yada yada
My ham radio buddys are all a chatter about it right now

5 Likes

Our solar system of plants are going to line up with this sun solar eclipse, this is a very rare event, like every 6000 years. Should be interesting. Signs and wonders in the heavens before the great and terrible day of the YEHOVAH it says in the book of Revelations and other books of the bible.
Exciting Bible times to live in.

5 Likes

I’m kind of hoping that day comes before I have to send in my income tax this year Bob.

We will conclude with this viral post:

Tax his land,
Tax his bed,
Tax the table
At which he’s fed.
Tax his work,
Tax his pay,
He works for peanuts
Anyway!
Tax his cow,
Tax his goat,
Tax his pants,
Tax his coat.
Tax his tobacco,
Tax his drink,
Tax him if he
Tries to think.
Tax his car,
Tax his gas,
Find other ways
To tax his ass.
Tax all he has
Then let him know
That you won’t be done
Till he has no dough.
When he screams and hollers;
Then tax him some more,
Tax him till
He’s good and sore.
Then tax his coffin,
Tax his grave,
Tax the sod in
Which he’s laid.
When he’s gone,
Do not relax,
Its time to apply
The inheritance tax.
Accounts Receivable Tax
Airline surcharge tax
Airline Fuel Tax
Airport Maintenance Tax
Building Permit Tax
Cigarette Tax
Corporate IncomeTax
Death Tax
Dog LicenseTax
Driving PermitTax
EnvironmentalTax (Fee)
Excise Taxes
Federal Income Tax
Federal Unemployment (UI)
Fishing License Tax
Food License Tax
Gasoline Tax (too much per liter)
Gross ReceiptsTax
Health Tax
Hunting LicenseTax
HydroTax
inheritance tax
InterestTax
LiquorTax
LuxuryTaxes
Marriage LicenseTax
MedicareTax
MortgageTax
Personal IncomeTax
PropertyTax
PovertyTax
Prescription DrugTax
Provincial Income and sales tax
Real EstateTax
Recreational VehicleTax
Retail SalesTax
Service ChargeTax
SchoolTax
Telephone FederalTax
Telephone Federal, Provincial, and Local Surcharge Taxes
Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge Tax
Vehicle License Registration Tax
Vehicle Sales Tax
WaterTax
Watercraft RegistrationTax
Well PermitTax
Workers CompensationTax

THINK THIS IS FUNNY?

Not one of these taxes existed 60 years ago, & our nation was one of the most prosperous in the world. We had absolutely no national debt, had a large middle class, and Mom stayed home to raise the kids.

14 Likes

Here’s a winter activity…

15 Likes

I tried hitting the tri-color birch, I cut last fall with the axe today and it just bounced. I guess it is too close to spring here :rofl:

7 Likes

yes, bob, terrible day for the evil ones, great day for the better ones…liberation of spiritual darkness… “day” is a synonymous word for getting spiritual insight in the truth of our religion…so, is written, lift up your head when thoose things come, because it is our liberation…
really exiting times

9 Likes

Frozen wood is the magic ingredient for splitting. Some species are just tougher. Green wood generally splits better than dry. I like splitting wood where it fell in the snow, the snow holds it upright, it’s easier to throw the firewood pieces than handle big blocks. I’ll be sad when the cold weather ends, we’ve had some crazy fluctuations, It hasn’t been much of a winter, probably the warmest ever, but it’s looking like there might be a month of good splitting weather off and on, then it will be time to pick it up and stack before the bugs get going, spring is coming…

8 Likes

I think I need to sharpen the axe and beef up the ole muscles. :slight_smile: It is checked on the end a bit. It dried more then I thought it would, but it warmed up a lot faster then I thought as well. We don’t have any snow, and i was planning on taking swats at this while I was watching the maple syrup boil, while everything was still all frozen. :slight_smile:

I think we are about a month early for weather.

9 Likes

Garry, now your just showing off :smile:

good to see you once in a while thugh, friend!

13 Likes

I have always been told there is a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. When I drove down to look for it all I saw was a huge patch of my hardwoods :grinning:

20 Likes

Score! A DOW pot of hard wood for you Wayne. Gold makes awful wood gas fuel, but hard Wood make a great black gold charcoal to drive on.

12 Likes

Wayne’s world

:slightly_smiling_face:

12 Likes

Some signs of spring, snow is melting and birds are singing like crazy.

Enjoying the sun against the wall with my friend.

Another one enjoying the sun, pretty sad, the one chicken left, 13 years old. Going to buy some “friends” for her this spring, the egg supply is pretty low…

15 Likes