Motorcycles with gasifiers

By '67 they would have mastered steam engines pretty well. Roper designed an emergency ash dump to release all the fuel and redundant pressure valves to open up at abnormal PSI. I think by this point they used lead melt plugs as well incase of the water being used up.

I still wouldn’t want a hot thing under my crown jewels though, the exhaust is right there next to your buns.

I also still don’t like fire tube boilers, all it takes is one weak rivet in the crown sheet to blow it all up.

5 Likes

Amen, to that. But…
Abner Doble, the Besler bros, Commander Lamont.
Just a few things to consider. And did you know that a steam power plant can be up to 60% efficient? !@#^^* I always wonder what a gasifier coupled to steam engine might do.
Rindert

4 Likes

I thought Doble used a monotube boiler like White Steam Cars did? Gaseous fuel was always preferred for them, they used rapidly vaporized gasoline in the Stanley White and Doble cars.

It wouldn’t be hard to have a computer controlled PWM powering a blower setup to heat the boiler. Would need a pilot light to keep it lit. Might not even need a computer could use a thermostat set to a certain temperature to shut the blower on and off or have the blowers constantly run and the thermostat goes to a servo motor for flaps to direct flames to the boiler or to exhaust.

3 Likes

Giorgio; Over here it seems girls are more interested in riding horses_ They often wear shirts that say, “Put a little excitement between your legs.— ride a horse”. I think that should be “ride one of these old motor cycles”. TomC

6 Likes

Sounds like a very simple modifications to a travel trailer water heater

3 Likes

here another link from the dow, a very good work from martin payne! a dream from everyone!!!
c6621f48f246b20901b554055937fdc9187f671a_2_375x500

9 Likes

Giorgio, and @Woodrunner: The small side box could also be dual used for some spare fuel, before cleaning the ashpit. Keep a small amount of your charcoal warm and dry.

4 Likes

This is a painful topic for me. There is a nice Yamaha 250 left in my barn 25 years ago by a previous owner. I check to see if it still turns over whenever I venture to that part of the barn. Every time, I hear a little whisper, “Please gasify me.” I have resisted so far by turning away quickly. This topic has revealed a low grade guilt that has been building up for ignoring this patient machine.

6 Likes

I’ve been wanting to do this to my 1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 for forever. I’m not sure if it’s worth it though because I think it has a blown head gasket and the starter clutch keeps going out. Might need an engine swap to something air-cooled before I put a gasifier on it. I bought a 1990 Ninja 500 rear wheel which matches exactly but replaces the cog belt for a 50 series chain size just for an engine swap.

3 Likes

Looks like things that follow you home are taking precedence over the things that are already home. :smiley:

4 Likes

Yes, I don’t know why I prefer picking up strays rather than paying attention to what is at home.

4 Likes

By the way this particular gasifier is made for a 500cc engine or smaller.

1 Like

mike, i agree more with göran , the lid of the box seems not to be waterproof, when driving with rain, water can enter a bit, and the warm and dry coal is not more dry than…
because of the swedish law göran told us, i think it is really a box for the cleanout ash…
ciao giorgio

5 Likes

Hi, a little more from 1942 years rules,
Every gasified vehicle should bring its own ash-box.
Ashbox should be made of fireproof material.
Ashbox should have a closing lid.
Opening in ashbox should be as wide, or wider than gasifiers clean-out port.
Ashbox should be minimum 5 inches deep.
Ashbox should be tightly secured at the outside of the vehicle, if possibly.
This is freely translated from old swedish regulations paper. :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

Here is pic from an old (1942) car parts and workshop equipment catalogue.
“Askhink” means ashbucket.

11 Likes

Goran,
You have lots of interesting stuff to share. Please keep it coming.

11 Likes

Thank you Steve, I promise, there are more to come :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

The value of the US dollar is one twentieth of what it was in 1940. What would 12.50 Krona be today? I doubt if something like that ash can would have cost more than a dollar here in 1940.

2 Likes

here a topic from one not unknown in this forum…i guess he doesnt let the yamaha unconverted for 25 years in the barn :wink: :wink:…but it is never too late…

10 Likes

Still have that moped! My son wants to become a mechanic and we will be giving it a new life this year :grin: hopefully.

13 Likes