Next, Case 310

Very nice Avid

Arivd: “the one pic is showing the hose going to the carb with the valve closed, stuck in on itself…” So that is your woodgas feed hose collapsing down like that? It only does it with the valve closed? I wonder if you were pulling hard on heavy load during the hot summer when the hose might be less stiff, if it would collapse with the valve open? Might want to wind a coil of wire inside the hose (like some fance radiator hoses have) to help it hold its shape under trying conditions.

the case has an up draft carb. We T into the intake above the carb, close off the air to the carb so only woodgas/air is coming into the intake. That hose is where air would come into the carb from the air cleaner… with the valve closed it gets sucked tight.

like this, just a different tractor

Ahhh, ok. That is rather somewhat less worrisome. :slight_smile:

just a couple of short vids of my 14yo son driving the Case for his first time… this is the 4th wood gas machine that he’s driven.

I have been trying to figure out what that bright spot is below the muffler as the tractor passes by. It almost looks like a glowing flame?

Fuel filter?

An electrical resistor???

the tractor used to be 6volt… it’s now 12 volts, that is a light to let you know that the ignition is on and the alternator is charging…

well, we’ve put a couple of hours on this lil beast… needs a bunch more but we’ll get there. It is far hungrier than that John Deere M at around 35 - 40 lbs an hour. The M was around 13 lbs.

Also to note, put more fuel in when it puffs. It seems to only puff when it’s very low. My son was out driving it and restarted it to get back to the main garage door… I could see the hot plate glowing when I refuelled it… Must have been some char left. I reloaded it with chips, pulled on it for a moment with the vacuum, and it restarted right up. the hot plate is replaceable so it’s not a big deal if it erodes some… :slight_smile:

1 Like

The bigger trucks burn about 120 lbs hour at 60 mph working.three or four 5 gallon buckets wood go long ways for the big tracktor,hot plate seems too be working good.Nice project.

so, I added a secondary vacuum point before the final filter and a pre cooler… as we have a soft connection between the gasifier proper and the cooler I thought it may prove advantageous to cool the gas a bit more prior to it hitting that soft connection. I haven’t personally smoked one yet but I can’t say it can’t or hasn’t happened if the gasser is pulled on hard for an extended period of time… we’ll see how it all works tomorrow.

TOO MUCH TURKEY HERE , Good luck with the extra cooler,cooling,keep us posted thanks arvid

Ran the Case for another hour and a half today… wasn’t bad out when we started but it got rather blustery by the time we shut it down. Only snag I had was it stopped as I pulled up to the door. An ignition wire came loose and it lost power… Took me a couple of minutes to realize it wasn’t a wood gas problem. Once reconnected it started right up.

Hey Arvid, that’s a good run length. What kind of load was it under? What do you guess is max run time based on usual fuel and that kind of load? Thanks,
David

Well, I know that the Case is rated around 23HP at the bar. It looks like it uses about 40lbs of chips an hour running it around the yard in 7th gear (direct 3) I don’t have the tack hooked up so I can’t say what the rpm is.

I’m getting about 30 minutes on a hopper… It holds about 20 lbs of soft wood chips we’ve been using. I know now that the next 20 HP+ tractor will get a much larger capacity hopper… we live, we learn.

I may just let it run through a hopper at idle with no load to see how long it does that for in the morning…

I can say it pulls a bunch harder that the JD M we did this spring.

1 Like

Those are useful numbers… A high idle test would be interesting. My 28hp will run through 8-10 us gallons of softwood charcoal an hour at high idle or 9-12 lbs. As close to apples and apples as one can get.
Best regards, david

1 Like

Good morning Arvid

I think with several hours of use your tractor will do better on it’s fuel consumption. I have experienced the first hours the fuel consumption will be very heavy until the char bed is well established .

My 33 hp ( draw bar ) tractor seems to be using about 15 pounds per hour with moderate load .

1 Like

tins on… just the final little stuff… at leaset I know it runs