Normans chevotafire pickup

https://youtu.be/qdsK04R4Zqc
Repairs are done, hope to finish getting it back in the truck tonight

9 Likes

Excellent video on your repairs of the ammo box replacement. Hope this is added to the DOW library for WK Gasifier. DOW Marcus.
Bob

7 Likes

Other projects woodgas related are coming up I plan to video as well, could be useful for other builders down the road. Will be a big slow project though, take some extra time to video it all

Remember when @JO_Olsson said he thought I was in for the long haul? Oh he was right. I can’t wait for the next project

8 Likes

You are young and energetic Marcus. The right type of DOW guy. Good qualities for this kind of video instructions work.
Bob

10 Likes

You are lucky this time on your wiring color hook-up Marcus.
Instead of four colors (you should write down!), you can just remember Dark-to-Dark; Light-to-Light.

Yup. Tools makes the Man.
Steve Unruh

6 Likes

As I was editing the video I noticed the wires were dark to dark light to light. Don’t think I meant to do it that way when I hooked it up but it makes it easier to remember. I built this whole truck on the cheap and didn’t care about color coding or anything of that nature, and it still performs. The ratrod roots show, and I got a few friends that really want to see me take it to a couple car shows haha and they are traditional hotrod guys, lots of chrome, gloss buffed waxed paint, everything tidied up. They love this thing and think it is just the coolest idea ever. One buddy before he saw the truck heard about and asked how do you get the wood in the gas tank??? I walked him around the truck and his jaw was on the ground. He loved it

10 Likes

The only East Wenatchee car show we have is the Classe Chassis show during Apple Blosom Festival in Wenatchee. We entered Dana’s 1977 Happy Bus one year a few years back.It was a hit. Drove it in the parade.
Bob

5 Likes

Thanks for the video Marcus . Looks like you are making good progress .

7 Likes

I may have missed something Marcus. How is the new Ammo box going to last better than the first one? Looks like the damage to the original was below the doubled up area where the new can swallowed the old one.

3 Likes

Yes the old one is soft and annealed so I just used it as a guide to mount the new one, basically a backing for my weld to have something thicker to bite to. I haven’t decided what I want to put inside it yet but it will get something to block the high temperatures from getting near the lid seal and hopefully prevent another burnout like the old one. I love the simplicity of the ammo box, but I REALLY like @JocundJake design of a heavy door that opens for cleaning. That will get implemented in my next build. And I am promising myself I won’t set the truck down with the ammo box open again :rofl: not a significant fix, but driving my dodge this week has already cost 200$

7 Likes

I can send you a piece of one inch ceramic blanket. Put that on the lid and make a sheet metal cap to go over it so your soot will fall off without getting stuck in the blanket.

7 Likes

I used some ceramic wool cut to the shape of the box and wraped with fiberglass welding blanket. Used wire to stick it together. I put the pipe tubing in the middle holding it wire. It fits snug with the pipe under it leaving a air space. The pupe keeps the sides of the ammo can from bending from high vacuum pulls. The folded seals under it is glue with high temperature silicone. It keep hot charcoal away from the hatch seal. No more cooking the seal.
Bob

7 Likes

Bob next time you have it open I’d like to see a picture of that setup.

3 Likes

Here is a picture of it.

Here is a cut away drawing of my gasifer
of what happened when it got to full of charcoal and ash.

It caused a very high vacuum. Charcoal and ash in the drop box.
The restriction opening is not drawn into the drawing and it is not to scale.
Bob

10 Likes

Hey’ya Sunday Marcus.
Rains a’comming again now.
You’d mentioned having an old $300 Ford Maverick car . . .
this one’s for you:

Mine was an old 56 Ford four-door bought for $35. when 14. Engine restored and interior work done at 15. Driven at 16. Dark Blue single tone.
Front bench seats are the ticket when you’re young and male.
Steve Unruh

9 Likes

Here you go @ForbiddenTuna
https://youtu.be/7Opki7OndPo

6 Likes

Okay that makes way more sense now

3 Likes

It makes the gutters way easier and faster to build. Less welding

4 Likes

Yes leave it up to @Wayne to find a more efficient way to build the hopper.
@Chris are these important new improvements to the WK Gasifier builds being added to the new WK library?
Bob

3 Likes

Yes Marcus I think you are one of the first to build the new improved hopper that Wayne built for the Wilbur Smith Gasifier. Much simpler then the older style hopper. Next time you do a hopper clean out it would be great to do a video of the in side for the DOW members. Are you getting a lot of tar in your condensation water/tar tank? With the big upper vapor cover under the main big hopper lid, I wondering if some of the tar is dripping into the firetube to be burn up. This is what @trikebuilder57 Al Frick does this on his gasifier build. His hopper lid is designed to drip some of the tar back into the center of the hottest part of the firetube to convert the moisture tar to good extra gases.
I can turn my upper ring over and it will move the tar to the gutter or flip it over and the tar will move to the hopper wood inside. If I made the cover like yours the tar would drip closer to the firetube.
Bob

4 Likes