Nozzles for Charcoal gasifier's

I use large fireworks sparklers for lighting. They come in various sizes. Light at the bottom instead of the tip and insert. Works great. I’m trying to think about this long slice idea. For a 1 inch round nozzle the 25 m/s air is in contact with the 3.14 inches of metal at the perimeter of the hole. A 1/8 inch slot would be over 6 inches long to create the same nozzle area. This would make the 25 m/s air in contact with over 12 inches of metal (6 inches on each side). So share your opinions. Would one 25mm hole or 4, 12mm holes 50mm apart or one 3mm slot 150mm long work best for my MGB nozzle?

2 Likes

Bruce,

Nice thinking…

You did get me thinking to …

Worth trying all sets :grin:

Please post your results :grin:

my 2 bits: try the 4 holes…

1 Like

First thing that comes to my mind is a 3mm slot might not be the best choice as it often happens to me that melted slag flows in the slot blocking the air. Not a problem with my sistem as the slot just helps to ignite the nozzles but if one is to rely on them…

I guess it might be a better choice to use holes Or a wider slot. But hey, lets experiment!

1 Like

now i am confused… why would it flow in the slot and not in the nozzles ?

1 Like

Just an educated guess here, but flowing air takes the path of least resistance so perhaps most of the flow goes through the nozzles with enough velocity to blow it clear. Or if it is a really thin slot perhaps capillary action?

2 Likes

Hi Andy,

i did take closer look to the pictures… it looks that all but 1 nozzle was blocked…
(one of the first pictures)
going on the color of the pipe and the little hole in the lack pile…

1 Like

Andy your first guess is correct for my sistem but i just gave it a second thod and if one wuld have only a slot with no holes the air velocity wuld probrbly clear the molten slag.

Koen l looked at the picture and it realy does seem like all but one holes are blocked :slight_smile: but that is not the case. The hole got filled with ash and slag bits while l was cleaning the gasifier.

2 Likes

Kristijan

Using 4 small nozzles, instead a big, because you lack height in the gasifier

This permits use of a greater proportion of the coal from the hopper?

Thierry

1 Like

Exactly :wink: it was the only way to make an updraft.

3 Likes

4 holes drilled at 45 degrees so ramrod will clear slag in an emergency without full shutdown and cleanout.

7 Likes

Good thinking Bruce , cant wait to see how it will perform .
Dave

1 Like

great idea… good thinking

2 Likes

Very nice looking nozzle! What era the dimensions of the pipe?

1 Like

1 inch ID, 1-1/2 inch OD. I’ve been told by a guy who does traditional iron smelting that nozzles with 1/4 inch thick walls have a long and useful life. The thick copper must extend to the outside of the smelter so that the heat can be conducted to the outside air. We will see if it works.

5 Likes

What are you testing it with? Are you running an engine?

1 Like

I’m using it for my MGB.

1 Like

Finished nozzle. The pipe fitting on the end is for EGR . The discoloration on the other end is from sand blasting. I was going to nickel plate the end to slow oxidation, but plating on a test nozzle started to crack and peal in a smaller gasifier.

6 Likes

The nickel actually peeled, it didn’t ring like a bell.

1 Like

it looks as you and Don are going to compete for the best design awards “ARGOS 2016”

Love you guy’s for that nice builds…

2 Likes

HI Bruce, I’ve passed tubing through both sides of a barrel. I know a round barrel doesn’t really have two sides but ya get the idea. That would cool both ends of your nozzle tube. Two inlets.

This assumes you drills on the top of the tube, not a classic end blow nozzle.

Nothing like a cool nozzle…

6 Likes