Small engine mobile fuel station

Ok let’s take a different tack. Approach from the other end.

This is not “Johnson” grass. We call it “Tala-eib”. Saw grass.

20220415-064720 20220415-064446 20220415-064505 20220415-064521 20220415-064646

Livestock won’t eat it. Can’t use it for bedding. Once it gets a foot hold it is almost impossible to kill off. You have to dig out and burn the root ball’s.

You do not run through this stuff. You will regret it. If you have to move through a patch … you do it slowly and gingerly. It will cut you to high heaven. And the injuries ITCH!.

So that tells me that there is a lot of Lignin/Celluose in there. And some sort of funky organic juice.

This is what I’ve got to work with. This is just a few days worth of accumulation.

20220415-064658 20220415-064430

We mow this with a standard 5’ tractor mower. A bush hog with no rear wheel. I’ve modified the deck to have an input “hopper”. This lets us shred to a fairly small length.

20220415-072755 20220415-072811 20220415-072825 20220415-072843

Right now we mow, gather, shred, and compost it. But aerobic composting is a SLOW process. Processing for this uses a lot of dino juice.

I could anaerobically compost it in a batch digester, but that is really labor intensive, and nasally offensive.

However at the end of that process I would be left with an empty husk of the Tala-eib which would be ideal for pryolysis.

Any and all thoughts are most gratefully welcome.

6 Likes

(Notespace)

Did you ever run those pellets in a gasifier?

1% tapioca binder … your killing me. 871 posts later and not one word on how they perform.

my head hurts

4 Likes

I think it actually may be easier to make sawdust pellets and process them in a TLUD. Then you wouldn’t need to worry about binders or charcoal slurry clogging your pellet mill.

3 Likes

@KristijanL has played around with carbonized wood pellets. I remember him writing about a friend buying bags of pellets for him and he carbonized them.

2 Likes

Ok. I’ve got smoke coming out of my ears and a nose bleed.

I’ve gotta take a break and swing a hammer or something.

I’d love to make pellets then charcoal them. It’s all the same to me. Tools in a tool box.

Please … anybody … point me to a picture, schematic, video of pellets being charcoaled.

2 Likes

Señor Ramos and Bruce made this TLUD. Sort of boosted with a blower for smaller sized feed stock.

I like this method because the air can only come in from one spot, and you can cap it off with a pipe. No more worrying about sand not sealing the TLUD well enough.

2 Likes

Yes thats correct. Not as dense as yours but clean sfuel.

3 Likes

Thank you. I’ll look at materials.

As an aside do you think G.G.'s pryamid Kon-Tiki would carbonize pellets?

I ask because I was thinking of making this the length of a standard barrel and suspending a KVL retort barrel above it.

That way I could carbonize large, odd size pieces and use the flame cap waste heat to retort chips, or possibly pellets at the same time.

What would you call that a Gilmore - Looken carbonizer?

1 Like

Mark, very real hand on work! I gave Dutch John a bag of pellets once. He used it in his Tiny lawnmower. Condens makes the pellets fall apart and block. I must say it was a thiny gasifier and very critical. The reason I abandoned pellets is the energy balance and time. You noticed the high loads too, on the die. If you manage to make pellets they are a super fuel. But the making comes with a price, time and parts. I sold everything last year. Managed to keep the house warm for a few winters, but now looking for another hobby. KISS is always the best path, dont let the pellets fool you. I build a drizzler and had it eat pellets. Worked super, but pellets I have to buy. So it has to eat other fuel. Looking for Laimet too, but first finish the Drizzler.
Another thing, GG documented his charcoal excellent. Everytime I fall back on his tips. The only thing I didnt try yet is the pyramid kiln. That looks good too.
So, if you are able to make pellets, they are superfuel. But the making aint easy. I have a pdf somewhere that I used for making them. Send me a pm if your interested. I have to dig in the dark.

3 Likes

Hi Mark , if you read through Thrive off grid post i think on there Matt R showed one of his new builds was a indoor pellet heater that also made charcoal pellets as a side line to run his generator .
At the moment we are coming up to winter and just to help the firewood along we bought 14 bulk bags of wood briquets very cheap between us to mix in with our not really dry enough fire wood , these briquets are made by compressing sawdust from kiln dried oak boards that are cut into parquet flooring tiles , they measure roughly 3 inches high by the same diameter , they make amazing charcoal when burnt that still sort of hold together and would for sure work in a downdraft gasifier
I will try posting some photo’s of the briquets once they come out of the fire to show you how they hold up , this is what they look like before .

Dave

3 Likes

Thank you. I knew that Matt had something like that. That “Thrive” thread is 1500 posts long, and I have not finished working through it.

Nice pictures. Awesome materials.

I’ll see your Briquette and raise you a charcoal cow pie I found while sieving today.

20220416-154310

Here is the latest test run of pellets.

20220416-154337 20220416-154353

Thank you so much. It really helped. I had no clue what a “carpet” was.

6 Likes

I don’t think that one was pellets. He tried to made charcoal out of pellets a long time ago, but I think that attempt is prior to the thrive thread. I think they fell apart, since the binder chars as well. I think I pointed you to the product page for his charmaker.

Commericial briquettes use clay and some of the tar as a binder which is why they don’t work in gasifiers. However, I wonder if you had some ‘low temp’ char if it would have enough tar in it to bind it without anything else. IE not the high temp nice clinky ringing char.

1 Like

Looking good Mark! Really good job and thanks I helped you some. Not a hard job making pellets?

And nice looking briquettes Dave, from a 7,5 or 11 kW press in that size. Making briquettes is easier because it can de a discontinuous process, pellets never. Warm and cool the die, feeding etc.

Btw, I spend one evening servicing a briquette press this week. A good brand and a good precise client. So came home 19.00 from work and left 19.30 the help the man. Only because I knew it cant be much wrong with it. And it was, but lost another evening after a long day. Only a few people are allowed to buy a press from me. No press, no problems.

4 Likes

Not really.

This time I spent 30 minutes setting up. Staged a bucket of soapy water, brushes, and a drill before hand. I adjusted the rollers by shimming up off the flat die with a slice out of a soda can. About 1/10th of a mm, (sorry I forget what that is called).

Dumped Tala-eib charcoal into the hopper a liter at a time. I didn’t let the die get empty. Kept re-feeding the output until it got up to temperature.

Then it took off and started spitting out pellets. They were long-ish pellets because I removed the cutter from the inside. It was catching material and clogging the system.

Whats in the pictures is 4kg, (200L drum full), of raw saw-grass charcoal. That translated into just less than 1/2 of a 20L bucket of pellets.

I could have kept running but I decided to quit and evaluate before I used up all of my source material.

I did not bother weighing it because they are still full of water. I’ll process the last two drums and get FT the measurement he wanted.

Took about 30 minutes to process, and another 30 minutes to clean up.

6 Likes

There are a few companies around our location making these briquets some sell them by the plastic bag full of 20kgs for $5 a lot of others try for 10kg bags for $10 ! luckily we bought 14 bulk bags around 600kg’s each for $22 each , fingers crossed we can get more if not we do have a large hydraulic pack and might be able to find someone to make a sort of home made press , these are so dense and heavy they must have been made by a real good press as you can tell by the markings on the side where they have heated up under pressure , no binding material at all involved in these .
Dave

5 Likes

You’re killing me.

Your working with reconstituted, pre chunked hardwood trees that output 1.21 gigawatts

And I’m scrounging noxious weeds and cow patties. :wink:

3 Likes

Nice price! They go for around €60 overhere before the rising prices!

600 kg bigbag? 2 m3?

Not sure of exact size of bags but around 4 and a half foot tall and sit on a 40x48 pallet without hanging over the sides

Dave

3 Likes

Keep them dry and make sure they burn this year. Looking good, dont bother sawing wood with those price :grinning:

2 Likes

I don’t have any use for fuel like that but I still think it would be an easy thing to set up my log splitter as a extrusion press. Picture, for example, a three inch pipe mounted to the splitter bed. At the one end cut the pipe with a slot to feed raw material. at the other a welded cap with perhaps a two inch opening and a split in half two inch pipe extended from the cap. The raw material is put into the the slot and the pipe is filled and then every stroke of the ram feeds briquettes out the two inch hole supported by the half two inch pipe with some kind of spring mounted knife to cut them to length.

1 Like