Small or home made sawmills

This is my friend Steve Cross sawmill . You can see the Southern technology all around :smile:

He says that me and him are true junkologist.

10 Likes

We had a crappy shift at work the other day. In the middle of the misery one of my workmates suddenly asked me why we didn’t think of becoming gynecologists instead :smile:

3 Likes

Think about it Jan. All day long pushing aside the fat thighs of obese women to work on diseased vaginas. I think I’ll stick with building junk.

4 Likes

Archie Bunker called them “groinacoligists”

4 Likes

That is a really impressive saw mill!
I enjoy seeing normal folks getting stuff done!

5 Likes

Yeah, young fit blonds will probably be only 1% of your work. Just as chunking in the sunshine is only 1% of DOW :smile:

3 Likes

Ah, young fit blondes. Something else you can drive on wood. I always enjoyed a test drive.

4 Likes

I have loved watching Steve Cross’s video’s there are tons of awesome ideas included in both of your mills!

1 Like

And if you love watching a large wooden boat build go to Sampson boat on YouTube. That’s where that live oak went for frames (ribs).
Amazing stuff.

4 Likes

I have seen a few of those videos also. Check out “tips from a shipright” for other wood boat building videos.

If you create a lot of sawdust with a thin kerf saw you know you have been busy!

IMG_1227 IMG_1228

13 Likes

Now if only that dodge hauling the sawdust was powered by sawdust :grin:

2 Likes

Is that a wood powered tractor in the background?

3 Likes

Have any of you made a pressure to make briquettes from sawdust?

3 Likes

Good morning Bruce .

Yes a wood burning tractor .

4 Likes

Good morning Marcus .

The truck with the saw dust did drink a little gasoline but only for less than ten minutes.

Two others had to eat wood for a while :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

I sold a Votecs press a few weeks ago and build a horizontal cyclone on it. Functions nice right away. Votecs is top. Only if someone is willing to pay that price and takes better care of the press then his family, I might sell one. If the clients goes for cheap, he gets the number of some Italian factory and dont call me when you run into trouble. Comafer is ok, the other brand sucks.
In your video some pieces are missing, the clamp to hold the briquette, filling cylinder is to small, lots of blocade and so on. If you have to much spare time and money, it is a nice project. For the rest it is the same as making pellets.
Briquettes are a better choice then pellets because you don’t have to produce them in a constant flow. If you press for an hour and stop, no problem. With pellets it is continuous.
Dutch John tried pellets in his Tiny gasifier, they tend to fall apart from the condensation. Briquettes will give the same problems in a gasifier. I burned them in my Atmos and they did very nice.

4 Likes

If you have a chain sawmill, it does not take that long to get a lot of sawdust.

12 Likes

That’s a nice configuration. Sweet! Everybody wants my sawdust. Not much interest in lumber. I guess people are used to store bought stuff. I need to convert my lumber into a finished product.

Thanks for the interesting photo . . .

7 Likes

No one wants your lumber because they can’t build with it. Unless Penn is not tied into the UBC that most states are using all lumber used in residential construction must be grade stamped and that mean SPF. Any timber frame must have an engineers stamp on the drawings. You can make furniture out of your lumber though.

4 Likes